In the book "Wild Swans", one of the author's conclusions about the Cultural Revolution was: not only did they destroy many of the antiquities representing the heritage of China, but they also destroyed people's appreciation for those things.

A culture conditioned to reject it's history and herritage? That is truly tragic. There is so much to be proud of though out China's history. I can't help but think of a sign inside the Forbidden City,"Don't let one moment's carelessness ruin this for all eternity." I'm sure so much has been lost, a crime perpetrated by those who would say they were protecting the people.

And of course, those who FAIL to learn history, are DOOMED to repeat it.

my Wife talks passionately about what her parents had to destroy because of the cultural revolution . Her Mother had many beautiful peices of furniture that were either broken into pieces or thrown into a lake .

This was done with great sorrow ,but it did keep the family away from the dreaded relocation camps or death .

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that. A log house doesn't mean it has to be old. It's just a different style, as a matter of fact, a regular house is made of the same thing as a log house.

Hey, would you mind posting a pic or two of your "LOG house". Man, there are not that many people who don't like a log home. I Love them but it would be a long time before I can afford one myself.

There is a thread with the pics of my house in it. I can't find it. Seems LOG is not enough letters for a search. If you put Log house you get 1000 posts to try to look through. I gave up. Anyway from the beginning she really has been uncomfortable with the idea but waited to see it. I'm tired of uncomfortable.

Well To my surprise when i asked my wife and step duaghter today about old houses I got this response

DUH and I mean DUH :angry:

They do not want to live in a house that is over 10 years old -

Boy am I lucky or what! :lol: :rolleyes: my house is only 8 years old and the house we have in Arkansas is only 7 years old

They seem to have forgotten that the house they had in China was at least 20 years old , had no sit down toilet , no central air conditioning ,no privacy , etc etc - not that it was in my opinion a bad home and it was much better than average for other houses around it - maybe it was the burglar bars that were on all the widows and doors that made it so attractive :unsure:

Anyway it will be a cold day before I will build another new house if ever again .

I guess I had better let the discussion die out

Guest knloregon

This discussion is a subject that is news to me. Fei loves old stuff, much more than new, usually. It is true that the quality of the housing stock in China is so poor that when she first arrived, she equated old houses with run-down. But since she has been in some beautiful old houses here in Portland, i think she would prefer to live in a restored older house than our new one.

She is also very proud of her family's pictures, (small format b&w) and her father in uniform, as a young Communist officer leading a work unit. He really was the perfect Party example---confident, square jaw, smiles on everyones faces, like they were changing the world..

One thing that really gets to Fei--- Here in Portland Japanese culture is held in higher esteem than Chinese, I think.... (although China's rep is rising)

We have a well known oriental antique shop here that used to only sell Japanese antiques, but about ten years ago added some Chinese as well. We bought a large Chinese wardrobe (1880's) and have since bought a couple of other things elsewhere... What really gets to her is that the Japanese antiques sell for substantially more than the Chinese for the most part, and any time we visit an Oriental antique shop and she sees a high priced Chinese piece, she always shows me and tells me how its really worth it!

This discussion is a subject that is news to me. Fei loves old stuff, much more than new, usually. It is true that the quality of the housing stock in China is so poor that when she first arrived, she equated old houses with run-down. But since she has been in some beautiful old houses here in Portland, i think she would prefer to live in a restored older house than our new one.

She is also very proud of her family's pictures, (small format b&w) and her father in uniform, as a young Communist officer leading a work unit. He really was the perfect Party example---confident, square jaw, smiles on everyones faces, like they were changing the world..

One thing that really gets to Fei--- Here in Portland Japanese culture is held in higher esteem than Chinese, I think.... (although China's rep is rising)

We have a well known oriental antique shop here that used to only sell Japanese antiques, but about ten years ago added some Chinese as well. We bought a large Chinese wardrobe (1880's) and have since bought a couple of other things elsewhere... What really gets to her is that the Japanese antiques sell for substantially more than the Chinese for the most part, and any time we visit an Oriental antique shop and she sees a high priced Chinese piece, she always shows me and tells me how its really worth it!

Ling too, is always impressed by all the old houses in Portland. She also got excited when I pointed out a group of 70-80 year old cars driving by one day.

I no longer have the Mustang

http://i19.tinypic.com/6hfol6x.jpg

http://i17.tinypic.com/62zr7f7.jpg

My $100 piano I was so proud of, because of price. The slanted wood behind the wet bar is the way the entire house looks, except not slanted, including all ceilings. No sheet rock and paint. Just wood. It is nice until you have lived here for a few weeks when you realize how dark that can be. So with a few fixture changes and neon it sure helps.

http://i15.tinypic.com/623co49.jpg

Edited by SheLikesME? (see edit history)
I have talked before about preconceptions and looking at your relationship though "American" eyes. That quaint old barn out in a field may not get the same reaction you might think. Just because you might like such things, well...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is too true. Well said Jim.

Especially for younger ladies from the bigger cities, there will be no appreciation at all of older, rural architecture.

To them: wealth and prosperity are associated with modernity--the new, gleaming, and tall mega structures of the big cities, not some faded, decaying and rundown building which may be described as quaint or charming by a fellow American. :P

TRUCKS:

"Why do so many women drive trucks", she asked? "I find this very unusual".

"Honey your in Texas", was not what I said. I just chuckled and explained that it is very popular here. I mentioned fuel economy and how folks just didn't want those small cars, so Americans and Texans in particular bought trucks instead. Told her she will see many more women driving trucks. She really does not know what to think about it.

Fellas this falls under the same catagory as "Old No Good".

Again it gets back to class distinction, in my book. Log house, woman driving a truck. That would look so farm girl to my wife and totaly unacceptable. Heck I told her a lot of farmers in the USA do vary well and are well thought of.

My wife has had some time to think about things. She will return soon. I almost bought a truck while she was gone. Anyway, she will learn our ways.

Here is a relevant article for this thread topic:

Chinese minister criticizes 'devastation' of historic sites

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/06/11/frontpage/beijing.php

BEIJING: China's rapid urbanization has "devastated" architectural and cultural heritage sites, according to an official quoted by the state media Monday.

"Senseless actions" by local officials in their pursuit of modernization have damaged the sites, Qiu Baoxing, vice minister of construction, was quoted as saying by The China Daily.

Jim, interesting post that seems to be getting a lot of attention.

I see many of the same, "new is better" comments, but it's important to frame it properly. Let Jen know that these things are of interest or important to you. Hopefully, she will see your meaning and respect your opinion even if she doesn't share it.

I agree with you. Everything should be taken in perspective. You like old things. She doesn't. Maybe the "old" Chinese stuff offended her... find out if it's just that or if she has no interest in anything that's old. If that's the case, then it's time to mend any broken fences with her, but you can't just quit being yourself and stop liking things you like. You're not perfect but neither is she. I've learned that the cold shoulder that always works when our SO's give it to us, is equally effective when we give it back to them. Marriage is about both of you... both of any of us who are already married or getting married. Why do we men always catch the blame and the "coldness" when a good deed turns sour? There may be cultural differences but what I see is just the normal, everyday "women versus men" outlook on life. Men see the world one way and interact in it according to a few, basic rules. Simple, effective.. Women see this same world in a completely different way and their rules change from moment-to-moment and you'll never know what rules she's applying, so don't even try to figure out their system. They don't have one, least not anything we men can understand. She'll forgive you when she wants to and not a second before.