Our BlueSlip Experience

As many of you know, my fiance¡¯ had her interview on March 14th. She got a blueslip. I posted several times on CFL when that all happened, but I did not reveal too much of what happened. My main concern was to meet the requirements of the blueslip and to get an overcome appointment. I did not want to draw any attention to our case because I know that some GUZ personnel do read CFL from time to time. So, I¡¯ve been rather quiet lately.

Well the time has come when I can tell you all

The Interview:

We were up early in the morning. Ivy was one of the first in line. I walked along with her until they let her inside. I told her that I would meet her on the 4th floor. I waited along with a lot of other anxious people and drank some very expensive coffee. There was lots of small talk and stories about how people met and what they had been through. The ladies started coming in to the coffee shop, most with smiles on their faces. I had never seen a real pink slip, but I was familiar with them from CFL. So, here I was, feeling very happy for total strangers. I saw two couples break down in tears. I only noticed a couple people with blueslips and they didn¡¯t hang around too long. After it got to be so late, I knew it could not be good news. Finally after about seven hours, I saw her. I knew she had a blueslip. She didn¡¯t have to say anything. She wears her heart on her sleeve. She was devastated. I hugged her and told her not to worry. I hadn¡¯t read the blueslip. There was a Chinese man there from Los Angeles. His lady had also been given a blueslip. He spoke Chinese and I had him tell Ivy to not worry, that we would provide what they were asking for and she would get her visa very soon. After a while, we got a smile out of her. I thanked Tom. I have since emailed him and thanked him again for his translation.

Here is what happened at the interview: My SO was dealt a joker. All along she had been told that they would interview her in her language. I had sent her the ¡°95 Questions¡± from CFL. She knew them frontwards and backwards. She asked the VO if he could talk to her in Mandarin (Putonghua). Absolutely not! he said. She said that he was very mean and, to use her words, he ¡°barked¡± at her. He said, ¡°this interview will be in English.¡± I believe he frightened her from the start. Keep in mind that I had been to ACH on that Friday and specifically asked if she could have her interview in her language. The Visa officer was very nice and said, ¡°oh, that will not be a problem. Most all of our visa officers speak Chinese. Tell her not to worry about that.¡± All right, then.

The questions:

(Ivy did speak enough English to answer some of these, but, was probably too slow for the visa officer).

When did you meet? (she told him)

What did you do when he came to China? (she told him)

Some other general questions, then . . .

What is his ex wife¡¯s first name? (she knew this, but, again, he was talking in English and she was slow in answering).

He tried to speed things up. He said something like, ¡°come on, I am speaking simple English, you should be able to understand me.¡±

Where does his son live? (she had trouble pronouncing ¡°Huntington Beach, California¡±

What does his son do? (she told him)

A couple more questions, then the blueslip.

She said that he did look at some of the documents in the file and asked to see the I-134. He barely glanced at all the photos we had. I have read different opinions on this, but I sincerely believe that the file (the case) is looked at thoroughly before the interview.

For the denial, he requested a five minute video of the petitioner (me) speaking in the language that we will both use to communicate. I must pat myself on the back and say that I made a very good video. He wanted to know my ex wives¡¯s social security numbers and he wanted proof of their residence. He wanted a written statement by my SO explaining how she will communicate. I have to say that she did an excellent job writing this out in English. That was all that was requested to overcome the denial. I have to assume that she did very well considering the curve ball that was thrown at her from the start. I¡¯m very proud of her.

My thoughts, which I can share with you now is that the VO was out of line. He did not have to intimidate this wonderful, little lady. A very small minority of these women speak good English. The VO¡¯s know that. They do not need to scare them. That is not their job. Under different circumstances I would have reported him to a supervisor. The problem is that the American citizen is at a total disadvantage going in there. They hold all the cards and the AC holds nothing. You play the game their way or you don¡¯t play it at all. Part of me is bitter about what happened, yet, I know it could have been a lot worse. I¡¯m just thankful that we got through it. My advice for those who are going through it is to provide the ¡°kitchen sink,¡± prepare, study the issues on CFL, and go in there with confidence, knowing that you have done your best. Don¡¯t be afraid of what has happened to others. Concentrate on ¡°your¡± case. If you do get denied, it is not the end of the world. And, like I have read a thousand times on CFL ¨C give them what they want and no more. Ivy and I thank all of you.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As many of you know, my fiance¡¯ had her interview on March 14th. She got a blueslip. I posted several times on CFL when that all happened, but I did not reveal too much of what happened. My main concern was to meet the requirements of the blueslip and to get an overcome appointment. I did not want to draw any attention to our case because I know that some GUZ personnel do read CFL from time to time. So, I¡¯ve been rather quiet lately.

Well the time has come when I can tell you all

The Interview:

We were up early in the morning. Ivy was one of the first in line. I walked along with her until they let her inside. I told her that I would meet her on the 4th floor. I waited along with a lot of other anxious people and drank some very expensive coffee. There was lots of small talk and stories about how people met and what they had been through. The ladies started coming in to the coffee shop, most with smiles on their faces. I had never seen a real pink slip, but I was familiar with them from CFL. So, here I was, feeling very happy for total strangers. I saw two couples break down in tears. I only noticed a couple people with blueslips and they didn¡¯t hang around too long. After it got to be so late, I knew it could not be good news. Finally after about seven hours, I saw her. I knew she had a blueslip. She didn¡¯t have to say anything. She wears her heart on her sleeve. She was devastated. I hugged her and told her not to worry. I hadn¡¯t read the blueslip. There was a Chinese man there from Los Angeles. His lady had also been given a blueslip. He spoke Chinese and I had him tell Ivy to not worry, that we would provide what they were asking for and she would get her visa very soon. After a while, we got a smile out of her. I thanked Tom. I have since emailed him and thanked him again for his translation.

Here is what happened at the interview: My SO was dealt a joker. All along she had been told that they would interview her in her language. I had sent her the ¡°95 Questions¡± from CFL. She knew them frontwards and backwards. She asked the VO if he could talk to her in Mandarin (Putonghua). Absolutely not! he said. She said that he was very mean and, to use her words, he ¡°barked¡± at her. He said, ¡°this interview will be in English.¡± I believe he frightened her from the start. Keep in mind that I had been to ACH on that Friday and specifically asked if she could have her interview in her language. The Visa officer was very nice and said, ¡°oh, that will not be a problem. Most all of our visa officers speak Chinese. Tell her not to worry about that.¡± All right, then.

The questions:

(Ivy did speak enough English to answer some of these, but, was probably too slow for the visa officer).

When did you meet? (she told him)

What did you do when he came to China? (she told him)

Some other general questions, then . . .

What is his ex wife¡¯s first name? (she knew this, but, again, he was talking in English and she was slow in answering).

He tried to speed things up. He said something like, ¡°come on, I am speaking simple English, you should be able to understand me.¡±

Where does his son live? (she had trouble pronouncing ¡°Huntington Beach, California¡±

What does his son do? (she told him)

A couple more questions, then the blueslip.

She said that he did look at some of the documents in the file and asked to see the I-134. He barely glanced at all the photos we had. I have read different opinions on this, but I sincerely believe that the file (the case) is looked at thoroughly before the interview.

For the denial, he requested a five minute video of the petitioner (me) speaking in the language that we will both use to communicate. I must pat myself on the back and say that I made a very good video. He wanted to know my ex wives¡¯s social security numbers and he wanted proof of their residence. He wanted a written statement by my SO explaining how she will communicate. I have to say that she did an excellent job writing this out in English. That was all that was requested to overcome the denial. I have to assume that she did very well considering the curve ball that was thrown at her from the start. I¡¯m very proud of her.

My thoughts, which I can share with you now is that the VO was out of line. He did not have to intimidate this wonderful, little lady. A very small minority of these women speak good English. The VO¡¯s know that. They do not need to scare them. That is not their job. Under different circumstances I would have reported him to a supervisor. The problem is that the American citizen is at a total disadvantage going in there. They hold all the cards and the AC holds nothing. You play the game their way or you don¡¯t play it at all. Part of me is bitter about what happened, yet, I know it could have been a lot worse. I¡¯m just thankful that we got through it. My advice for those who are going through it is to provide the ¡°kitchen sink,¡± prepare, study the issues on CFL, and go in there with confidence, knowing that you have done your best. Don¡¯t be afraid of what has happened to others. Concentrate on ¡°your¡± case. If you do get denied, it is not the end of the world. And, like I have read a thousand times on CFL ¨C give them what they want and no more. Ivy and I thank all of you.

Spoken like a true pro, Ron. :mellow:

Consider yourself and Ivy christened by a baptismal of fire! That's at least what it feels like, huh?.................:(

Ron and Ivy,

You are BOTH to be commended for the way you handled the situation. You knew what had to be done and you just did it.

The "joker" analogy is very apt, I think. By the luck (or lack thereof) of the draw,Ivy was dealt someone with an obvious chip on his shoulder.

Instead of whining and feeling sorry for yourselves, you both went about doing what you had to do to overcome an obviously unfair and unnecceary blue slip.

Even knowing that you eventually got your pink slip, I had a lump in my throat reading your description of what Ivy went through. I can only hope something like that doesn't happen to my SO. No one should have to go through something like that, regardless of whether their case is a slam-dunk or a difficult call.

I think you and Ivy are models for how future CFLers can handle themselves if in the same situation. Let's hope that number is a small one.

Congratulations to both of you again for not only getting the pink slip, but for doing it with dignity and class.

Best regards.

Dave

Good information Ron. We here on CFL have a wide variety of experiences with the visa interview. Ours was a good experience and the VO, apparently very nice. It gives the others that follow a chance to read about the range of experiences. Again, good luck to you Ron.

As aye,

Jim

Let me join the others in thanking you for the write up.

I suggest that Don or one of the mods should consider placing a carefully worded question in the GUZ Speaks subforum and, without making reference to your case, ask what the policy is on conducting the interview in Mandarin ... is it discretionary to the VO conducting the interview or is it within the rights of the petitioner to politely insist on Mandarin?

This would be very useful to know.

Let me join the others in thanking you for the write up.

I suggest that Don or one of the mods should consider placing a carefully worded question in the GUZ Speaks subforum and, without making reference to your case, ask what the policy is on conducting the interview in Mandarin ... is it discretionary to the VO conducting the interview or is it within the rights of the petitioner to politely insist on Mandarin?

This would be very useful to know.

This has been asked of USCONGUZ before and of course, the ususal answer of "we have staff that can conduct the interviews in Mandarin." I think Ron's VO has issues.

Ron, I think you two are an outstanding couple! Overcome is just that in your case. Overcome! Overcome the harshness of an unhappy official with his job. Overcome the dissappointment of getting a blueslip. Overcome the adversity of collecting more info than you should have to. Overcome the mixture of emotions and doubt that can overwhelm a couple's commitment. Overcome whatever is thrown at you to ultimately get a your pink slip and visa. :D You both deserve each other because you forged on and did what you had to be together. Soon, you will live happily everafter. I am proud to read your post on your interview. It is heartlifting to see and will inspire other couples to keep going no matter what. True Love will prevail. Just look at rlheim Rick. I have no doubts that Chilton Charles will eventually be reunited with his SO also.

Thanks for sharing that peice. I too will post our saga as soon as Juan is able to send me email.

Jim

Ron, thank you so much for telling us about Ivy's interview. I've been waiting to see what possibly could have gone wrong as every since I first found CFL I've watched the progress of you and the others that were ahead of us. I was floored when I saw the news of a blueslip for Ivy because I knew you had everything in order.

Now, I am thankful to see that it worked out for you both.

tsap seui

Congratulations again Ron! You two truly deserve the PINK!

Despite all the negatives, I sincerely believe there is a positive side to this. I strongly believe this initial hardship to be together will build a more solid and deeper foundation for your relationship and marriage. What doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. :D

Congratulations again, Ron and Ivy too. I just want to add that you showed much class and dignity through all of this Ron. You kept your head about you, never gave up and never wavered in making sure that you and your Ivy were together forever. Bravo, brother Ron.

Ron and Ivy,

You are a symbol of strength for all of us and as long as your outcome was pink that is all that matters, so happy for you and your SO. Congaratukations and hope nobody here ever has to go through the same.

Best wishes and Happy Memorial Day!!!

Ben and Xue Ying