Thanks for all the responses

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the responses about living and working in China! Whew, lot of good information, I'll need to start copying posts off onto my local machine and find some way to organize the information. :V: <_<

So, I figured I'd start a new topic since that one was getting long ... got some more questions:

1. TEFL... a lot of people have provided me useful links for sites. Thanks. It seems like there are a lot of different schools, both correspondence and in-person. I guess what concerned me was it seemed that there are so many ... is there some sort of standard test or program?

I've seen some that costs nearly $2K and require a month of time, and others that are around $200 and are online. How would I know if a school's "TEFL" certification will be recognized or not?

For example, in the tech world, I have seen some websites that offer "free certification for Java" ... so you could have a Java certification from x, y, z ... but the only "recognized" Java Certification is through Sun Microsystems. I'm just trying to figure out how TEFL works. Is there an official organization that accredits TEFL schools and programs?

2. With teaching English at a college ... do they hire people for both fall and spring semester, similar to the U.S.?

Thanks, everyone!!!

:P :wacko: :P

I'll have to add a section to Candle for "The adventures of PJ in China" eventually.

P.J.

PJ sorry i can only answer your second question. yeah college hire people for both fall and spring semester. the full term is from Sep.1 to the beginning of the next July. there is one month winter holiday during Chinese New Year... So most of the college will require you teach from the first fall semester to the next Spring Semester.

Most schools prefer a one-year contract but it is not difficult to obtain a one semester contract. Then if you decide to stay longer, they will simply extend the contract. It goes without saying that it depends on the school. Good luck PJ and thanks again for your devotion to this board.

Hi, PJ:

1, TEFL.... There should be a headquater center for issuing such certificate. The center is probably in Beijing, from where you will get the most correct information on whether there will be a standard test or programme. Also, from the headquater center, you can check whether there are branch centers also having the power to issue recognised certificate and where these centers are.

2, Contract.....As I heard most of the contract were based upon one year. For one semester, I think you need to ask or negotiate with the school itself.

Good luck!

Sarah :rolleyes: