Who has driven in China?

Thanks, I will take heed to this advice. I will not drive. It makes me nervous just thinking about it. I get scared even when they drive.

I get scared even when they drive.

Now that is a thought filled with wisdom!

I wouldn't drive over there, but Charles, are they really any worse than Atlanta drivers? Most days, I am not sure...

We just got back from 2 weeks in Chengdu. We couldn't believe how crazy the drivers were. We also couldn't believe that we used to ride bicycles in all that mess. We were even afraid to cross the street

I wouldn't drive over there, but Charles, are they really any worse than Atlanta drivers?

You are right, Atlanta drivers are crazy on the inter-state, but it is somewhat sane off the interstates. There seem to be no rules in China.

The main difference between the drivers in Atlanta and the drivers in China is that the China drivers are much better at playing chicken :yahoo:

Have fun Charles.

In Atlanta it takes 30 minutes to go three blocks downtown. I guess that depends if you are on Peachtree, or Peachtree though. All the oneways, easier to walk in Atlanta. :)

Driving in China?

I thought about it once. It would have to be in a Mercedes with diplomatic flags or something, and black-out windows so people couldn't see that a lao wei was driving. :lol:

I hear that in an accident the payout is "Cash" on the spot. If a settlement is not reached both drivers go to jail for a few days until the police decide what to do. That is what happened to our plant manager's driver in Shanghai. Poor guy was in jail for 3 days.

Oh, and the car would have to have a real good stereo system. That way I could turn up the "Walt Whittman" real loud to drownd out the horns honking. :yahoo:

Having driven in Japan, New York and Tijuana, I'd drive in China. The new law is great news.

David can't you put that info into the FAQ?

Am I imagining things, or is this about a 180 degree turn-around for you over the past 2 years, Dan?

Seems like you used to be more than a little concerned about someone driving in China.

What happened?

Enjoy!

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Thanks Rak. Looks like we can drive legally now in China.

I have driven there. Rented a car and just did it. I loved it. Just drive like they do and you'll be alright. It is sort of like racing very slow. Dodge everything. Like the locals told me, even though no license, ah you are American, you can do anything here. Like Cerberus I figured Int drivers lic, act dumb, carry CASH, and a young man and woman with you at all times so they can speak the language. The ladies KNOW how to negotiate anything.

I wouldn't drive over there, but Charles, are they really any worse than Atlanta drivers?

You are right, Atlanta drivers are crazy on the inter-state, but it is somewhat sane off the interstates. There seem to be no rules in China.

The main difference between the drivers in Atlanta and the drivers in China is that the China drivers are much better at playing chicken :lol:

Have fun Charles.

The big difference is:

American drivers consider those painted lines on the road to be "suggestions".

Chinese drivers consider those painted lines on the road to be "decorations".

I have driven in Nanning. Had an IDL with me, figured I could play dumb with my wife (fiancee at the time) with me. I was driving my brother-in-laws pickup. The only way to get it home at the time.

I simply watched the way they drove for a period of time. Lines on the road are used as a suggestion. Controlled chaos is the best term I could find to discribe their rules. When you have a car coming, yes, get back on your side, otherwise use as much of the road as you want.

This trip travelling through Guangzhou, I'm not sure I'd want to drive in this city. I could if I had to drive but why press your luck. They seem to push their way through traffic much like they push their way to the front of any line. They don't seem to care who has the bigger car. I have seen small cars rush to push a bus out of its way. Seems like a stupid move to me, but hey seemed to work for them. They have to drive here, they also have experience navigating the streets. I wouldn't have a clue where I'm going so I'd push through traffic only to find I went the wrong way. Big cities, definately use a taxi or bus. So many taxis and buses available why not let them do what they do best.