One tough Chinese woman

ABC News just did a story about a woman in Chongqing (I think).

She was the lone holdout in her neighborhood who wouldn't sell to a developer. So the developer dug completely around her house. The aerial view of her little old house sitting in the middle of this huge hole was very stark and very sad.

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, that story has been floating around on Chinese websites until recently. They gave that house the name "Nail-House".

The Chinese Central Government has given the order to all media (both prints and TV station), internet sites and hosts to stop all reportings and information regarding this story. Only from English channel can you get some info on this story.

Sad, but I guess she should have sold out. But I'm sure it is easy for me to say, I didn't live there for 60 years.

there is a lot of development in the area where i work and live, just unbeleivable in the 17 years I've been here. You can see where there are new subdivisions and an old house right next to it. I always wonder if they tried to hold out and the developer simply went ahead and built around them. I guess you can't fight progress.

I-35 in Dallas was held up quite a bit due to the same reason I recall. Of course eventually the gov got the land.

And we own nothing and evetually the government screws us to the ground.

<_<

Wow, just read the story. How awesome. I believe it's good for people to stand up for their legal rights.

Actually I read that a Chongching court already ruled against them... however, it's a married couple that lives there and the man is a former kung-fu champion. He has been flying banners over the house saying something like "I'll pulverize anyone who touches my house".

I don't think the construction workers will be in a hurry to mess with that guy. He also has most of China very interested in the case... a lot of Chinese seem to be tired of the collaboration between land developers and the local government.

I-35 in Dallas was held up quite a bit due to the same reason I recall. Of course eventually the gov got the land.

And we own nothing and evetually the government screws us to the ground.

:P

Yes so true!! If you do own something they still find away to take it from us.

I think at time the laws are writen in pincel that way the can erase what they need and rewrite it to ther liking, Just IMO

Each year, I was giving up one foot, 6 inches etc... of easement to the city of Murrieta, California because of municipal development.

Started off with a nice plot of land and it was so changed by the time I sold. My great view I had really bought that house for was blocked by development.

Growing pains I guess!

My wife's friend is from Chongching and knows where that development is (She said)