House cleaning.

My fiancee said she has to clean/dust everyday at her home in Nanning because it is very dusty and dirty. I didn't believe her because I only do that once a week at my home here in USA. So I told her. She said she leaves the windows open and dust/dirt gets into the house. So I told her to close the windows. She said opening the window will bring fresh air and everyone does that in China. I can't question her logic. That is why our gals always think it is necessary to clean all the time (when they come to America) because they do that in China.

It would be interesting when she moved in my house. Since I like to close my windows to prevent pollens (due to my allergy) from getting into the house, hope we won't argue over it.

Hey, at least it isn't the middle of a Manchurian winter! :o My wife throws the windows open first thing in the morning regardless of the weather. I've given up arguing the point.

A good share of Mongolia blows across Shenyang every year, so even with the windows closed you get dust on everything everyday.

• 3 weeks later...

Tony, I understand your lady. At least in my family (I mean in parents'), my parents do regular cleaning every day. My sister and brother intend to do so but if they are too busy working, they may do a thorough cleaning once a week or more often than that. How busy people's life is sometimes determines how often they clean the houses.

But I still think there exist some reasons for this difference between Chinese and Americans on this point. First, generally the air in many places of China is polluted pretty badly. (If I am wrong, please forgive me, my dear countrymen :rolleyes: :D). Secondly, not most houses are equipped with air conditioner. So we can open the windows or doors any time we want to, especially in rural area. Last, it seems kind of a habit for many Chinese to open windows in the morning to let the freshest air come in. Personally I love to keep the windows open especially in breezy spring days. I enjoy the flow of the cozy wind. I even slept with the windows in my bedroom open until one night a “smart” thief hooked my clothes out through the window.

BTW I lived in Anhui most time when I was in China. What I said is based on where I lived and where I have been.

Li

hehe, my wife is doing the same thing at Wuhan. i don't think the air is that bad. I close my windows too because of allergy. My wife is laughing about this. She doesn't understand why the grass and flowers can cause the allergy. I told her after living here 3 years, she will understand. :lol:

In Nanjing I noticed our floors got dirty really quick. We leave a pair of sandles by the door to slip on when we get home. The streets there are pretty dusty with all the contruction going on there and all the polution.

Here in the states I live in a nice little place build in the 50s. We have a gravity fed furnace that spews dust every where when we run it, so here too we have to dust and clean almost every day.