Asian confusion

How many of you have experienced friends and coworkers who do not know the difference between Japan and China? During conversations about China I routinely hear people make comments about the Geisha, Sumo wrestlers, samurai and other items that are Japanese. Has anyone else experienced this? It seems that a large number of people are pretty much clueless when it comes to Asia and are not able to differentiate between Japan and China.

Maybe I just need to hang out with a better group of people... :(

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people I know can't tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese, and Korean writing.

. . . including Chinese people !!

No way. Part of the Japanese writing and Korean writing came from the Chinese.

I'm not kidding - they don't recognize the Japanese Hirakana and Katakana alphabets, the Korean characters are totally different.

When I was stationed in Germany I had an American girl write to me one of her questions was "How did Germans celebrate Thanksgiving" ;) I gave a smart ass response,she never wrote back. :P

I had a coworker ask a visiting Brit how much they drank on St. Patrick's Day.

On another note: We were doing payroll conversions for a company bought out by a British firm. The Brit they sent over was shocked as we talked about the IRA contributions being made. :D

The only thing everyone knows about China is that everyone there is very poor... :huh: ;)

I remember as a kid that my mother would tell us ¡°Eat all your food ¨C there are children in China starving that don¡¯t have what you have¡±. It was a profound statement that I will always remember and I ate all my food. :o

When I told this to my wife she just laughed and said that her parents told her the same thing, ¡°Eat all your food, there are children in India who are staving¡­¡± :D

Food for thought! :P

When I told this to my wife she just laughed and said that her parents told her the same thing, ¡°Eat all your food, there are children in India who are staving¡­¡± :D

LOL

Andrew I heard Emma tell our son the same words more than once....

¡°Eat all your food, there are children in India who are staving¡­¡±

When I told this to my wife she just laughed and said that her parents told her the same thing, “Eat all your food, there are children in India who are staving…” :eatyum:

LOL

Andrew I heard Emma tell our son the same words more than once....

“Eat all your food, there are children in India who are staving…”

on the same line my exchinese girlfriend was told by her mother "eat all your food , there are children in america that are starving"