Taking Ginseng to China

When my wife and I go to China this month she will be taking a pound of ginseng, as far as I know this will not be a problem. Has anyone any knowledge in regards to transporting to China, she will buy it whole and have it sliced up here. She tells me Chinese feel American ginseng is number one, she will be taking it to give family and friends

When my wife and I go to China this month she will be taking a pound of ginseng, as far as I know this will not be a problem. Has anyone any knowledge in regards to transporting to China, she will buy it whole and have it sliced up here. She tells me Chinese feel American ginseng is number one, she will be taking it to give family and friends

Yeah we've shipped it and brought it with us. Never any problem...EXCEPT...you MUST buy WISCONSIN "SENG only the best will do and up here in Northcentral Wisconsin we grow the PRIMO stuff...trust me on this one...anything else is cr*p

WISCONSIN GINSENG... :romeojuliet:

Roger are you ready to open your online Ginseng store????

Carrying unprocessed plant products is a violation. That said it is rarely checked. If found you would probably have it confiscated. especially if the Inspector likes it. The capsulized product or candied is ok since it does not have the chance of introducing parasites or micro organisms to another country.

I took a few bags of genuine Wisconsin ginseng roots last time I went.

Didn't have a problem. I was even dumb enough to list it on those customs forms they have you fill out on the flight. I handed it to the customs agent at the airport and all she asked was if I had a large amount of US currency to declare.

Yeah we've shipped it and brought it with us. Never any problem...EXCEPT...you MUST buy WISCONSIN "SENG only the best will do and up here in Northcentral Wisconsin we grow the PRIMO stuff...trust me on this one...anything else is cr*p

WISCONSIN GINSENG... :P

Roger, Where can I get Wisconsin ginseng (Powdered)? I've been buying American ginseng at the herb store for a long time but I don't know where it's coming from.

WISCONSIN GINSENG... :D

Roger, Where can I get Wisconsin ginseng (Powdered)? I've been buying American ginseng at the herb store for a long time but I don't know where it's coming from.

http://www.schumacherginseng.com/

I bought it here a couple of times...but we also bought from Hsu's...Just google Wisconsin ginseng and you should do okay... :D

Since you are from Southern Cal, just buy them from Chinese herb store in Chinatown.

I got mine here:

http://www.chinatownonlineusa.com/

Had it shipped within about 4 days.

We bought a pound and a half of ginseng today at $59 a pound to take to China for family, yes Roger the American ginseng was from Wisconsin they did say it was the only state they bought it from, hopefully the price was reasonable. It was coincidence that the Chinese man at the store was from my wife’s hometown of Zhanjiang. It was interesting to watch them prepare the ginseng they would first heat it and then slice it and seal it in individual bags after it cool down.

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)

We bought a pound and a half of ginseng today at $59 a pound to take to China for family, yes Roger the American ginseng was from Wisconsin they did say it was the only state they bought it from, hopefully the price was reasonable. It was coincidence that the Chinese man at the store was from my wife¡¯s hometown of Zhanjiang. It was interesting to watch them prepare the ginseng they would first heat it and then slice it and seal it in individual bags.

There is actually a Wisconsin Ginseng Store in San Gabriel near Garfield and I think on Valley on the south east side.

80% comes from Wisconsin.

------------------------------------------

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_g260...3/ai_2603000389

"American ginseng grows wild in the forests of the eastern United States and southeastern Canada. It grows in shady, moist and hilly regions, but the plant is becoming increasingly scarce due to over-harvesting and logging practices. In Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, and Illinois, American ginseng holds status as a threatened or an endangered species. Some botanists believe that pollution and a thinning ozone layer are contributing to its decline. Efforts at protecting wild American ginseng have not been successful, as the demand for it in the Far East makes it a lucrative crop for poachers. It sometimes sells for as much as $600-800 per pound.

The majority of American ginseng on the market is now cultivated, although it is a sensitive plant and difficult to farm. In the United States, Wisconsin grows 80% of the American ginseng crop. Canada grows more American ginseng than any country, and is second only to China in total ginseng production."