Interview Preparation

What the P4 says is that "Identify, in English, any person taken in group photos". In the Chinese version it is "Use English to note the people in your photos". Like I said, I don't think that this is a requirement, just a suggestion. I was just curious what others have done.

I will try to scan the P4, I am going into Beijing in a few days. I am in my wifes hometown for the holiday and I have no access to anything like that here.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about DNA evidence for the child or did I miss that?

can you quote a reference or source to this?

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=23031&hl=

Mike's case is going on three years.. I'm not sure I would hold that one DNA issue as typical of what to expect.. till we see it a few more times.

David I just saw the DNA question on the K-1 FAQ in Gunagzhou's website. Looks like that one has to wait to see if they are asked for it and then go from there.

What should I do if I am asked to perform a DNA test?

At your visa interview, the Consulate may require that you take a DNA test to establish your claimed biological relationship. At that time, we will provide you this notice.

David, what a great thread, this should be excellent help for those with upcoming interviews! Two thoughts:

1) Have you considered pinning this?

2) Have you considered adding a thread with interview experiences?

I know that Jie and I, and many, many others have posted our interview questions, thoughts, and experiences on CFL.

When we prepared for her interview, we read through all the experiences in the FAQ section. We made this the center of our preparation, and we would actually practice the interviews together when we talked. Because of this, Jie actually was rehearsed and very well ready when she was in front of the VO.

Anyhow, I think adding the interview experiences could be an excellent help.

David, what a great thread, this should be excellent help for those with upcoming interviews! Two thoughts:

I know that Jie and I, and many, many others have posted our interview questions, thoughts, and experiences on CFL.

When we prepared for her interview, we read through all the experiences in the FAQ section. We made this the center of our preparation, and we would actually practice the interviews together when we talked. Because of this, Jie actually was rehearsed and very well ready when she was in front of the VO.

I am constantly trying to figure out ways to make the FAQ info more accessible.. and even went to a single file variation... but maybe one variation would be to put some parts into Links and Resources as separate posts... thanks for the thought.

I am constantly trying to figure out ways to make the FAQ info more accessible.. and even went to a single file variation... but maybe one variation would be to put some parts into Links and Resources as separate posts... thanks for the thought.

And you are doing a darned good job David as always. Thank you sooooooo much for all of your very hard work so that others can benefit :rolleyes:

What is type of "EX" documentation is recommended?

check out this blue slip thread, which was a recent request for proof of "ex" residency...

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22759

The new K1 form states to have the name, address, SSN (if applicable), phone... So, a divorce on either side should get this.. and some are getting a utility bill as proof of the residency.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe a good time to post parts of the Interview FAQ for those interviews coming up.. Good luck to all.

I have not updated this based on the new K1 letter.. so don't hesitate to question anything in this list, we want to keep everything up to date and as accurate as possible...

---

KITCHEN SINK LIST:

This is a personal recommendation based on interview and overcome, and more than the minimum required information to bring. Don¡¯t confuse this recommend with guidelines stated by GUZ or other federal agencies. The VO is able to ask for anything. This list seeks to have as much as possible available.

1. Chinese beneficiary

A. Proof for Interview appointment:

- Your P4 appointment letter (must have to gain entry to consulate).

- Passport (must have to gain entry to consulate)

- Your P4 appointment letter (they are not likely to let you in without this).

- Receipt for the paid immigration fee

- Copy of the Notice of Action (NOA2 you received)

- Original Medical forms and exam results in sealed envelope

- Medical x-ray

B. Dependents:

If there are dependent children immigrating to the US with the Chinese beneficiary:

- Passport (or can be on Chinese beneficiary)

- Birth certificate

- Medical exam

- Passport photos, at least four (4). Print name on back.

- Police certificate, if over 16 years old

- Proof of full custody

- Death certificate (if deceased)

- Additional forms/documents as required

C. "Ex" Spouse (as applicable)

- Proof of residency (if divorced)

D. P3 paperwork:

Items sent back to GUZ:

- Copy of the DS-230 (K1 only part I)

- Copy of the OF-169 (Checklist from P-3)

- Copy of supplemental info sheet

Items collected:

- Current Passport of Chinese beneficiary

- Current birth certificate of Chinese beneficiary with Notarized English Translation; plus a copy

- Police Certificate(s) for Chinese beneficiary with Notarized English Translations; plus a copy

- Certified copy of Court or prison records for Chinese beneficiary (if applicable) with Notarized English Translations; plus a copy

- Certified copy of military records of Chinese beneficiary, if application / available; plus a copy

- Passport Photos of Chinese beneficiary. At least four (4). Print name on back.

- Martial certificate (single cert or marriage cert) of Chinese beneficiary with Notarized English Translation; plus a copy

- Divorce certificates (if any) of Chinese beneficiary with Notarized English Translation; plus a copy

E. P4 paperwork:

- P4 Appointment letter

- OF-171, Information Sheet

- Certification of Legal Capacity and Intent to Marry , DO NOT SIGN

- Original DS-156, Visa Application, in English and Chinese, fill out in duplicate.

- Original DS-156K, Visa Application for dependents, in English and Chinese, fill out in duplicate but DO NOT SIGN

- Original DS-157, Supplement Visa Application, in English and Chinese, fill out in duplicate (no signature required)

- Original GIV-24, family composition sheet

- Original GNI-2, supplemental form for K1

F. Miscellaneous:

- Wear your engagement / wedding ring (if available)

2. U.S. Petitioner

A. Regarding self

- Copies of petitioner¡¯s passport with visas indicating dates of visit(s), including at least one visit within the last 2 years. If able, certify this.

- Divorce certificates for petitioner (if any); plus a copy

- Letter of Intent to marry in English (notarized and updated by petitioner for interview); plus a copy

B. "Ex" spouse and/or Dependents

- Proof of residency (if divorced)

C. Financial documents:

a. Two original, signed, and notarized I-134/I-864 with supporting financial documents including

i. 3 years of tax records reflecting (Form 1040 and W2s ¨C guideline is income 125% of the poverty level)

ii. letter from employer regarding current employment and wage/salary)

iii. if your income is less than 125% of poverty level, bring copies of bank statements/ stock/bonds, etc.

b. If using a joint sponsor, two original, signed, and notarized I-134/I-864 with the supporting financial documents.

D. Miscellaneous

- Video for communication if in doubt

3. Relationship proof:

a. Informal pictures of the two of you together from your visits; pictures with family members are better.

b. Copies of phone records between the two of you (if available)

c. Originals of letters w/postmarked envelopes (if available)

d. Copies of emails reflecting communication over a period of time. Review the content of the email.

e. Proof of joint ownership, bank accounts, etc.

4. Copy of Any other documents submitted

- I-129F application and all submitted paperwork

- I-130 application and all submitted paperwork as part of CR1 process

- Copies of documents notarized or certified; in case they¡¯ll take the copy instead of original

5. Blank forms

- Some have been caught off guard at the medical exam with an expired or incorrectly filled out form and have to go chase one down.

--------

Four folder approach:

(The description of contents written on the outside in English and Chinese)

1 - 1st folder, Proof for Interview (morning check-in), contained the medical envelope, our passports, and her P4 letter.

2 - 2nd folder, Relationship Evidence, contained our two best pictures(one of just us, the other with family) on the top so could easily be seen by VO, sample emails, MSN chat logs, postmarked letter, and a CD containing all of the chats and emails.

3 - 3rd folder, Financial Documents.

4 - 4th folder, Extra Relationship Evidence, contained itineraries, boarding passes, ticket stubs from traveling China, etc.

I am having a difficult time getting my SO to understand what is needed for "Proof of residency" for her ex-husband. What type of statement or proof is required/ appropriate.

Thanks,

David

I am having a difficult time getting my SO to understand what is needed for "Proof of residency" for her ex-husband. What type of statement or proof is required/ appropriate.

The P4 appointment letter is here:

http://www.candleforlove.com/FAQ/Forms/P4/Let..._applicant1.pdf

and states:

"ex-spouse's name, date of birth, social security number (if applicable), last known address and telephone number.

----

If anyone has this new form on hand, can you confirm if there is a chinese page to it... I only have the english page. On the website, they still display the older appointment letter.

The P4 appointment letter is here:

http://www.candleforlove.com/FAQ/Forms/P4/Let..._applicant1.pdf

and states:

"ex-spouse's name, date of birth, social security number (if applicable), last known address and telephone number.

----

If anyone has this new form on hand, can you confirm if there is a chinese page to it... I only have the english page. On the website, they still display the older appointment letter.

I understand the information needed, but it is indicated "documents containing the following information for your interview: ex-spouse's name, date of birth, social security number (if applicable), last known address and telephone number."

What kind of documents are appropriate? What have others done for their SO's ex-spouse?

David, thanks again for your feedback!

David and Lily