Interview Preparation

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can certainly provide my ex-wife's name, DOB and yes her SSN. I just don't feel comfortable giving out SSN's. I guess I can prepare the letter and hand it over to my SO when I see her in GZ before the interview. As far as her current address is concerned, I can probably provide her lawyer's name, address and phone number in the letter.

Fantastic stuff! One question. I have not had any contact with my ex-wife since we divorced. I have no idea where she lives other than the fact that she still lives in the Houston area and that she has given birth to a newborn. I don't even know if she remarried or if she is living with someone and had the baby out of wedlock. My SO keeps asking me for a letter giving details relating to my exwife's current address and social security number. I don't know where she lives and I don't understand why I must provide my ex-wife's social security number. What is up with that? :huh:

I posted this earlier today in another thread... The consulate now expects this information to be on hand.

The requirements change often.. it's important we stay on top of the changes... this is one of the newest changes.

The new letter to K1s state explicitly to have an "EXs":

1. Name

2. DOB

3. Last known address and telephone number

That means ANY of this info is fair game for the VO to request...

Will the VO ask for it? The trend has been to ask for this in some cases.. just look at the History Timeline blue slip tab.

This is not to send a scare... the fact is, we have been informed by the consulate.. so it's up to each to act accordingly to prepare how they feel they should.

I can certainly provide my ex-wife's name, DOB and yes her SSN. I just don't feel comfortable giving out SSN's. I guess I can prepare the letter and hand it over to my SO when I see her in GZ before the interview. As far as her current address is concerned, I can probably provide her lawyer's name, address and phone number in the letter.

Your giving the government a SSN which they issued in the first place.. so I assume it is you don't want your SO to see it.

You can provide something to your SO in the form of an [sealed] envelope with information to hand over for a specific question..

Givin the government the ssn is not the problem. She gave me the impression that she was consulting with others in China and I did not want her showing my ssn or my ex-wife's ssn and my financials to just anyone. I understand now why she is asking for the information, and I will be happy to turn it over to her when I see her in GUZ. I have prepared a letter address to the U.S. Embassy in GZ and although I do not know my ex-wife's whereabouts I have provided her lawyer's name, address and telephone number in my letter. Hope that will be enough. Thanks again guys for the update :huh: :blink:

Your giving the government a SSN which they issued in the first place.. so I assume it is you don't want your SO to see it.

You can provide something to your SO in the form of an [sealed] envelope with information to hand over for a specific question..

Fantastic stuff! One question. I have not had any contact with my ex-wife since we divorced. I have no idea where she lives other than the fact that she still lives in the Houston area and that she has given birth to a newborn. I don't even know if she remarried or if she is living with someone and had the baby out of wedlock. My SO keeps asking me for a letter giving details relating to my exwife's current address and social security number. I don't know where she lives and I don't understand why I must provide my ex-wife's social security number. What is up with that? :huh:

I posted this earlier today in another thread... The consulate now expects this information to be on hand.

The requirements change often.. it's important we stay on top of the changes... this is one of the newest changes.

1. Name

2. DOB

Will the VO ask for it? The trend has been to ask for this in some cases.. just look at the History Timeline blue slip tab.

This is not to send a scare... the fact is, we have been informed by the consulate.. so it's up to each to act accordingly to prepare how they feel they should.

Furnishing another's social security number is taken it a bit too far, like in, that's the straw that broke the camel's back!

It's almost funny......but not really!

I know that VO's have asked for information on former spouse's whereabouts in certain circumstances but it is rare and I believe most applicants can provide it if needed. And for those faced with extreme difficulties in trying to obtain this information, I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't heard too many people report such incidents in having to provide former spouse's information except in cases being scrutinized or under suspicion. And what if the VO asks for it? Just provide it in the overcome. Chances are they won't ask for it if everything is on the level and believe me, they will know if everything is on the level or not.

I'm curious to see a copy of the requirements in this new letter. I haven't been able to find any information about it.

Furnishing another's social security number is taken it a bit too far, like in, that's the straw that broke the camel's back!
I know that VO's have asked for information on former spouse's whereabouts in certain circumstances but it is rare and I believe most applicants can provide it if needed. And for those faced with extreme difficulties in trying to obtain this information, I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't heard too many people report such incidents in having to provide former spouse's information except in cases being scrutinized or under suspicion. And what if the VO asks for it? Just provide it in the overcome. Chances are they won't ask for it if everything is on the level and believe me, they will know if everything is on the level or not.
I'm curious to see a copy of the requirements in this new letter. I haven't been able to find any information about it.

CFL FORMS. here's the direct link Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Wow, David, thanks for all of that. It is almost overwhelming, at least to me, and I can only imagine what my SO will go through. I tried copying and translating in Bable, -- forget it --it just does not come out right. I wish I could send her this information in Chinese. On the other hand, it might scare the hell out of her. Are two I-134's necessary? I only have one - notorized.

CFL FORMS. here's the direct link

David,

Are you talking about the GIV-24?...I do not have any bills or formal letter from my ex...But I have her address which I did send to my SO to put in the GIV-24 form!...I also just emailed her to see if she could at least send me an email stating her current address and phone number and date since she's live there...I hope she writes back!...hehehe...

Edited by Signal (see edit history)

Wow, David, thanks for all of that. It is almost overwhelming, at least to me, and I can only imagine what my SO will go through. I tried copying and translating in Bable, -- forget it --it just does not come out right. I wish I could send her this information in Chinese. On the other hand, it might scare the hell out of her. Are two I-134's necessary? I only have one - notorized.

I can't recall why I put two I-134s... maybe in case you turn one in at interview and they ask for another at overcome (?).

One is a best practice; two for Murphy's law.

I can't recall why I put two I-134s... maybe in case you turn one in at interview and they ask for another at overcome (?).

One is a best practice; two for Murphy's law.

Thanks! And about the I-129F, do they not have your original copy right there in front of them?

I pulled the link and read the "Letter to K1/K2 Applicants". It states the following: "Submit these items during the interview"

"If you were married previously, please bring in documents containing the following information for your interview; your ex spouse's name, date of birth, social security number (if applicable), last know address and telephone number"

The letter is addressed to the applicant and not the petioner. The above statement refers to the applicant and not requesting that the petioner provide social security numbers, etc. That is how I read it. I'll give my SO the letter but that is my interpretation. What can I say. :blink: B) :ph34r:

1. Name

2. DOB

CFL FORMS. here's the direct link

I'm going to describe the four folder approach in more detail. (to answer Ron's question, they should have everything in front of them.. but one is still expected to have copies ready to turn over).

Four folder approach:

(The description of contents written on the outside in English and Chinese)

1 - 1st folder, Proof for Interview (morning check-in), contained the medical envelope, our passports, and her P4 letter.

2 - 2nd folder, Relationship Evidence, contained our two best pictures(one of just us, the other with family) on the top so could easily be seen by VO, sample emails, MSN chat logs, postmarked letter, and a CD containing all of the chats and emails.

3 - 3rd folder, Financial Documents.

4 - 4th folder, Extra Relationship Evidence, contained itineraries, boarding passes, ticket stubs from traveling China, etc.

---

I've seen every example from one to nine folders over two years. I feel that ALL the information has to be easily retrieved and so I decided upon four folders. Make your own determination based on what your SO may be comfortable with. An accordian type folder would work but in my opinion not big enough for the entire kitchen sink.

---

Each folder should have on the outside in english and chinese the basic contents as a reminder to the SO.

Folder #1:

These items are the things that will be asked for at check-in and usually the first question of most interview requests (passport)... so this folder is mostly for check-in and then empty after that. Can be put aside.

Folder #2:

Relationship evidence. If you want this as an accordian type folder, then so be it, then you can divide up the evidence type easier.

Folder #3:

The reason for this to be a stand alone folder is that it is my opinion that it is easier for the SO to hand it all over if she is unclear what was asked for... let the VO take what he wants. This should include the Aff. of Support, Taxes, Employer letter. If she understands what is a asked for and can retrieve that exact item, go for it.

Folder #4:

This is really all the extras that we don't expect to be asked for, but is copies of everything during the process... from initial filing to P4 docs.

---

Example: Where to put "Ex" proof of residency?

I think this is evidence... and not just 'extra'.. so put in #2 , IMO... the accordian folder is maybe growing into it's own now...