China facing major gender imbalance

This is not a new problem. It has been well documented for many years. What I have been wondering is whether China will clamp down on the emigration of Chinese women--especially younger and single women of marriageable age--given the proliferation of these online matching-making sites. More and more Chinese women have been and are emigrating not just to the USA but many countries throughout the developed and industrialized nations around the world for the purpose of marriage. Admittedly, the percentage is still minuscule given the enormity of the overall Chinese population, but that percentage of Chinese women emigrating for marriage purposes has only increased--not decreased--so I'm wondering if it's only time before the Chinese government puts a complete stop to the emigration of Chinese women for marriage purposes, or at least limit the number with an annual quota.

And along the same lines, I'm wondering if the Chinese government will implement new regulations to allow Chinese citizens to only marry Chinese citizens in China. In other words, will they forbid foreign nationals from marrying Chinese citizens within China.

Things to contemplate given this gender imbalance.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070112/ap_on_...ender_imbalance

China facing major gender imbalance

BEIJING - China will have 30 million more men of marriageable age than women in less than 15 years as a gender imbalance resulting from the country's tough one-child policy becomes more pronounced, state media reported Friday.

The tens of millions of men who will not be able to find a wife could also lead to social instability problems, the China Daily said in a front-page report.

China imposed strict population controls in the 1970s to limit growth of its huge population, but one side effect has been a jump in gender selection of babies. Traditional preferences for a son mean some women abort their baby if an early term sonogram shows it is a girl.

"Discrimination against the female sex remains the primary cause of China's growing gender imbalance," Liu Bohong, vice director of the women studies institute under the All-China Women's Federation, was quoted as saying in a report from the State Population and Family Planning Commission.

Sex selective abortion is prohibited but the government says the practice remains widespread, especially in rural areas.

The report, carried in the newspaper, said China's sex ratio for newborn babies in 2005 was 118 boys to 100 girls, a huge jump from 110 to 100 in 2000.

In some regions such as the southern provinces of Guangdong and Hainan, the ratio has ballooned to 130 boys to 100 girls, the newspaper said. The average for industrialized countries is between 104 and 107 boys for every 100 girls.

The report predicted that by 2020 the imbalance would mean men of marriageable age — especially those with low income or little education — would find it difficult to find wives, resulting in possible social problems.

The problem is not just a rural issue, with the newborn gender imbalance also widening in cities. In the first 11 months of 2006, there were 109 boys born in Beijing for every 100 girls.

China Daily said one way to solve the problem would be to create a proper social security system so rural couples would not feel they needed a son to depend on when they get old.

Up to 800 million of China's 1.3 billion people live in the countryside.

Edited by SirLancelot (see edit history)

There is no doubt that this is a challenging problem; however, I cannot imagine China outlawing female immigration anytime soon...

First, because it wouldn't be that effective, unless they also passed a national law outlawing marriage to a foreign national. The problem of a low number of women also helps China with it's original intent of the so-called "one-child" policy. Finally, they must significantly curb the number of women on foreign education visas if they want to plug the holes. These would be some very difficult measures to pass in a society that is becoming increasingly "democratic".

The more disturbing thought (to the patriotic side me) is the increasing number of Chinese nationals who are moving back to China. I used to work for a very large and successful technology company... of course, we employed quite a few Chinese software engineers. It was a little disturbing to see the number of our Chinese engineers (including the most successful ones) moving back to China. I got the sense that life in the US is simply not as attractive to them anymore; and couple this with China's booming economy, you get the reverse immigration issue.

I would hope that even if they wanted to curb the women leaving that they would not curb divorced women who are older as these women do not seem to be desirable in China.

As for Chinese going back to China, well that is a fact of life. Engineering jobs are moving to China and India where they cost less. I assume that even with a lower salary in China, the engineers will have a more affluent life there.

Maybe the issue is why do we train so many foreign nationals (and pay for it) so they cna leave and go back to some other country?

Well unless the president allows us to set policy on forieng nationals being educated here, there is no sense in debating it.

I would hope that even if they wanted to curb the women leaving that they would not curb divorced women who are older as these women do not seem to be desirable in China.

As for Chinese going back to China, well that is a fact of life. Engineering jobs are moving to China and India where they cost less. I assume that even with a lower salary in China, the engineers will have a more affluent life there.

Maybe the issue is why do we train so many foreign nationals (and pay for it) so they cna leave and go back to some other country?

Well unless the president allows us to set policy on forieng nationals being educated here, there is no sense in debating it.

My comment was not directed the movement of jobs, but the diminishing desirability of life in America.

Regarding foreign nationals educated in the US... If the foreign science and engineering students are not displacing American students (and they are not), then why does it matter whether they leave? As you point out, it is a global economy now. We do not offer education with the hopes of retaining students here... and American companies are opening a foreign presence in other parts of the world (including my former employeer) to take advantage of this.

Well, I don't want them curbing young and never married ladies either. :huh:

As far as the young Chinese men who are short on Chinese women, if the economy and lifestyle keeps improving there, then why don't these guys import women from other countries to come live with them in China. Wouldn't that be cool to provide a little variety injected into the population over there.

As far as the young Chinese men who are short on Chinese women, if the economy and lifestyle keeps improving there, then why don't these guys import women from other countries to come live with them in China. Wouldn't that be cool to provide a little variety injected into the population over there.

No doubt, that is a great idea. I know a few we could send them. : ) I bet Donald Trump would like to send them Rosie. :huh: :D :P

No doubt, that is a great idea. I know a few we could send them. : ) I bet Donald Trump would like to send them Rosie. :D :P :P

I would not wish Rosie upon them - I don't want them to think less of our degree of civilization than they already do. :huh:

Hmmm, I wonder if a Chinese man brought a woman from another country would this couple get one of those special certificates that allows them to have more than one child?

it will be very interesting to see this play itself out over the next 15-25 years.

SO's 8 year old nephew has 3 girls in his class out of 28 students.

can you imagine how popular these girls are gonna be.

the numbers are gonna plummet...

how much harm will this actually do to this country?

will it be gradual enough to survive?

China has gotta have something ready for when it happens.

SO said the poor people want girls so they dont have to pay for a wedding.

• 2 weeks later...

As the availabilty of marriageable women decline Chinese men will have to reconcider older divorced women as possible mates. Women's value will have to increase. As Mao said, "women hold up half of the sky"

I have heard of kidnaping Korean and Vietnamese women near the border for marriage in China

My Step duaghter is at University of Florida

and all the foreign nationals she knows are NOT getting a Free education there

They are paying out of state tuition many Chinese women are trying to find jobs in the USA when they graduate so that they DO NOT have to return to China

She can not get a scholarship even though she has a Green card and a 4.0 GPA

So This American citizen is paying for her College education

I don't know if the US pays for it or not. It is no secret however that we are a brain drain on the rest of the world. We attract the best and the brightest with higher wages and higher standard of living. let's say we give a scholarship to a grad with a BA in one of the sciences who is a proven genius. He/she comes over here to get a masters and stays upon graduation. Since such an intelectual giant will be highly sought after upon graduation they would likey start with a 6 figure income. The federal tax alone on 100K a year would be about 20K . Add on state tax and SSA and that number is even higher. Calculate that over the working life span and it would be a pretty damn good investment on the feds part.

I read a topic last year about how the immigration of Chinese women to other countries for marriage was increasing. But also that Chinese men were seeking brides from Vietnam and Korea. Many of these Vietnamese and Korean women consider China as a nation of wealth compared to their own and have much more in common socially with the Chinese than they would have with Westerners including Americans. I also read that (beleive it or not) that America was only 3rd or 4th on the list of Chinese women immigrating for marriage puposes. Korea and Japan was the country of choice for them. many chinese women just beleived that America was just too dangerous to live in. I'll try to find that report and then post a link.

Jim

I also read that (beleive it or not) that America was only 3rd or 4th on the list of Chinese women immigrating for marriage puposes. Korea and Japan was the country of choice for them. many chinese women just beleived that America was just too dangerous to live in. I'll try to find that report and then post a link.

Jim

Jim, I might be able to believe South Korea, but I can't believe Japan as a desired destination as there is so much hatred of the Japanese by most Chinese people. And America may not be #1 or #2 for a different reason then you may think. It's much easier to immigrate to the Canada, UK or Australia for the Chinese than it is for them to immigrate to the US. That's another reason why the US may not be #1 or #2.

I would be interested in reading your report. Please do share the link if you are able to find it.