Secondary-education in rural China

My girlfriend grew up in Jilin. She stopped going to school at age 15 to help her parents on the family farm.

I have been reading articles about education in China, and one article said that this was not uncommon for girls in rural families 15 or 20 years ago; it said that expectations were lower for women and many rural families felt that completing Senior High School was not as important for girls. Can anyone who grew up in China comment on whether this was true?

I was initially shocked by this (since it would be unthinkable for almost anyone in the US), but since I've started wondering whether it might have been quite normal in her situation.

She is almost 30 now, but wants to go to college after coming to the US; clearly she will need to take the GED. I've been wondering whether a GED is it required for all immigrants, or will some American universities actually recognize foreign education credentials?

Thoughts?

That is my understanding and it seems perfectly natural to me. Heck, here in the U.S. I've read drop out rates of around 30%. One of my two sons dropped out after 9th grade. He got a GED and a job. Later he went to College and got a degree. After working with me for 16 years he now works as a programmer in the U.S. Atty's office. GED's aren't so bad.

My girlfriend grew up in Jilin. She stopped going to school at age 15 to help her parents on the family farm.

I have been reading articles about education in China, and one article said that this was not uncommon for girls in rural families 15 or 20 years ago; it said that expectations were lower for women and many rural families felt that completing Senior High School was not as important for girls. Can anyone who grew up in China comment on whether this was true?

I was initially shocked by this (since it would be unthinkable for almost anyone in the US), but since I've started wondering whether it might have been quite normal in her situation.

She is almost 30 now, but wants to go to college after coming to the US; clearly she will need to take the GED. I've been wondering whether a GED is it required for all immigrants, or will some American universities actually recognize foreign education credentials?

Thoughts?

Many foreign nationals go to our universities so foreign credit must be given.

We have several members who transfered their step-children from schools in China to schools in the US, bringing their school records with them.

For entering college, you would need a high school degree (or GED), along with SAT and/or ACT scores.

Check Tony's link for translation of foreign records, if it is required. I would think in your case it would not be required for the GED.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

What about foreign licenses? Is there any reciprocity between China and the USA? For example, attorneys, CPA's and Physicians or nurses??

I know we have a shortageof RN's here in the USA.

We will continue to have a shortage of RN's, alomost every bit of medical training from China for nurses is not acceptable by the AMA.

What about foreign licenses? Is there any reciprocity between China and the USA? For example, attorneys, CPA's and Physicians or nurses??

I know we have a shortageof RN's here in the USA.

One thing that we as americans are not aware of is the lack of opportunity to get ahead that many people face in the rest of the world. My fiance told me a year ago where a 9th grade girl threw herself out a 4th story window because she did not do well enough on her exam to get into the correct school. We have many programs here in this country to assist you in school. Too many people throw the opportunity away. The thing that you will see is if she comes here and wishes to get a good education she will attack this full bore.She will for certain know first hand what the american dream is.

Here is a web link of admission requirements from a university that I am very familiar with. It's meant only an example, and admission requirements vary by state and university or college. You may want to consider a near by community college and look into their admission requirements. Good luck.

Texas A&M University International Freshman

Texas A&M University International Transfer

As aye,

Jim

Edited by SinoTexas (see edit history)

Here is a web link of admission requirements from a university that I am very familiar with. It's meant only an example, and admission requirements vary by state and university or college. You may want to consider a near by community college and look into their admission requirements. Good luck.

Texas A&M University International Freshman

Texas A&M University International Transfer

As aye,

Jim

Jim:

Careful, don't let the longhorns see you posting A&M links!!! :cheering: :cheering: :bangin: :bangin: :exclaim: :exclaim:

Only kidding. Actually my son told me I have to be a Gator, or as my son says, "Either your a Gator or Gator Bait".

Thoughts?

For rural farming families, it is more true than not. For urban families in bigger cities all across China, it is less so. Even to this day, there are still some families who are just too poor and the girls will leave school before they graduate to start earning money so they can help out the family.

It is a really sad thing. Middle school is supposed to be free, so is high school, but in reality, the tuition in the country side (where my grand parents lived) is about 3000 per year and colleges can cost upto to 10k or more.

There is project called Hope, but most of the money donated by well meaning people were stolen by corrupt officials.

It is no use just to complain. I have been supporting one girl since I came back to visit in 2002 and now next year she will be taking the college exam. If she does well, I certainly will not let her quit just because money matter. If she can get a scholarship, I can probably sponsor one or two more girls from the village.

Just as bad for education, medical care is another problem for the people living in rural areas. Most can not afford care for serious illness.

My wife's degree in chemistry was paid for by her father's work unit which she went to work for. She did not need a GED but only a English Accuplacer test when she started class here at the Jr college. It was nice of CU-D to give her a scholarship for two semesters.

Being an accountant or CPA in China is not very interesting as their regulations are not observed very well.

The nurse training there is very different from here as they don't worry if someone dies. They usually don't answer buzzers at night. The last time I was in the hospital here there were two nurses from Kenya and they were good. The hospital had 27 from Kenya.

Edited by skibum (see edit history)