Is xmas only for kids?

Meimei ... I mean no disrespect, but let me offer my point of view ...

Christmas is a Christian religious Holiday. It celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ.

Unfortunately Christmas has been corrupted, in my view, by merchants seeking to make money. Commercial Christmas is hollow; to focus on gifts loses, again in my view, the real meaning of Christmas.

Christmas in China is almost all commercial. Christmas in China has become about youth drinking, dancing and hitting each other with plastic blow up clubs. Christmas in America has become too much, again in my view, about gifts, eating too much, and drinking too much.

You and your Lao Gong are free to make your Christmas whatever you'd like. No one will view this with prejudice. I wish you the very best.

I agree with Jim on his insight. My wife was telling me today that Chinese New Year is for children and she did not like what has become of Chinese New Year because of the "greed" involved.

I think Jim was trying to make this point and people need to make Christmas or what ever other holiday that may come up, what they desire.

My Christian upbringing taught me the meaning of Christmas at an early age and "NONE OF IT" can be bought in any store!

(I do understand seeing others getting gifts and MeiMei not getting any and how that would bother her. Human nature is difficult to surpress)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christmas is a Christian religious Holiday. It celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ.

Unfortunately Christmas has been corrupted, in my view, by merchants seeking to make money. Commercial Christmas is hollow; to focus on gifts loses, again in my view, the real meaning of Christmas.

Christmas in China is almost all commercial. Christmas in China has become about youth drinking, dancing and hitting each other with plastic blow up clubs. Christmas in America has become too much, again in my view, about gifts, eating too much, and drinking too much.

You and your Lao Gong are free to make your Christmas whatever you'd like. No one will view this with prejudice. I wish you the very best.

I agree with Jim on his insight. My wife was telling me today that Chinese New Year is for children and she did not like what has become of Chinese New Year because of the "greed" involved.

I think Jim was trying to make this point and people need to make Christmas or what ever other holiday that may come up, what they desire.

My Christian upbringing taught me the meaning of Christmas at an early age and "NONE OF IT" can be bought in any store!

(I do understand seeing others getting gifts and MeiMei not getting any and how that would bother her. Human nature is difficult to surpress)

What I wanted is some little present like candy or flower, I want to know that he cares, he will do something(absolutly not necessarily costly) to make me happy. Is that can be called" greedy"? I want the feeling of being loved, is that too much to ask?

Edited by meimei (see edit history)

What I wanted is some little present like candy or flower, I want to know that he cares, he will do something(absolutly not necessarily costly) to make me happy. Is that can be called" greedy"? I want the feeling of being loved, is that too much to ask?

Happiness is found within yourself. No one can 'make' someone else happy. Happiness found in material items is fleeting.

MeiMei,

You are not greedy at all. We all want to love someone and to be loved. No matter how we express ourselves we still want some assurance that we are loved, whether it¡¯s a card, candy or diamond ring.

General speaking guys really don¡¯t ask for presents and they usually are happy with or without one ¨C its no big deal. But send flowers or candy or even a card to my wife and she is on top of the world!

An example that happened recently was that my wife's birthday and mine are close to the same date. She never asked for anything and neither did I, however I surprised her with necklace pendant with a picture of our son inside. She felt very bad because she did not get me a present for my birthday. Little did she know that my present was seeing her and my son so happy.

I don¡¯t want to you to be mad at him but these are situations that you need to analyze and inspect early in a relationship and determine if this is what you want or can accept. Also make sure that there is a mutual understanding between you and him regarding these situations.

Wishing you happier times in the near future.

Andrew

Meimei, I understand your feelings. My wife has a friend that didn't receive anything for christmas and her friend felt bad, she did ask for something, but I'm not sure what happened.

As you can tell from this thread, Christmas means many different things to different people in America, As a Christian, I always beleived it as the day to celebrate the birth of Christ as Jim explained earlier.

I would not use this to feel bad. Some men are just not into gift giving. Still it is better to give than receive. Maybe when you are in the states it will be differently.

Even with all the commercialization of Christmas, in Christian countries it is still a day to commemorate the birth of Jesus Christ. While gift giving has evolved as part of Christmas traditions, exchanging of gifts is not what makes Christmas IMHO. It is a personal thing and individuals and families that celebrate Christmas, do so in different ways. You have read examples on this thread. And there are those of some Christian faiths that do not celebrate Christmas or any type of holiday and thus gifts would never be exchanged. I don't know ya'll situation.

My fiancee and I are separated by miles and kilometers this Christmas, but my gift from her was an email and a phone call wishing me a Merry Christmas. There was no material gift that could top that! I hope that you will understand the spirit of Christmas and not worry about the material part of what, IMHO, is not the true meaning of Christmas.

As aye,

Jim

Even with all the commercialization of Christmas, in Christian countries it is still a day to commemorate the birth of Jesus Christ. While gift giving has evolved as part of Christmas traditions, exchanging of gifts is not what makes Christmas IMHO. It is a personal thing and individuals and families that celebrate Christmas, do so in different ways. You have read examples on this thread. And there are those of some Christian faiths that do not celebrate Christmas or any type of holiday and thus gifts would never be exchanged. I don't know ya'll situation.

My fiancee and I are separated by miles and kilometers this Christmas, but my gift from her was an email and a phone call wishing me a Merry Christmas. There was no material gift that could top that! I hope that you will understand the spirit of Christmas and not worry about the material part of what, IMHO, is not the true meaning of Christmas.

As aye,

Jim

Well said. I didn't receive anything from my wife, but a merry Christmas wish from her and she stayed up very late on Christmas night to talk with me on my Christmas morning. A great gift I received from her was the knowledge that she went to church Christmas eve with her son and nephew. This was great.

I sent Ling $200 mei jin to buy presents for 12 family members. She bought everyone "special" red long-johns (it is -1¡ãF in her city today) for the upcoming spring festival (including me!) and also took the family out for a nice dinner. She was very happy with her first christmas celebration.

I sent Ling $200 mei jin to buy presents for 12 family members. She bought everyone "special" red long-johns (it is -1¡ãF in her city today) for the upcoming spring festival (including me!) and also took the family out for a nice dinner. She was very happy with her first christmas celebration.

I went with the 200 dollar money thing as well. I had debated whether to send anything because I still have the big expenses of the visa fee and plane ticket for her to come over.

For those on a budget I think they will understand if you tell them of the upcoming expenses it takes to bring them over. If they don't that tells you a lot right there.

I went with the 200 dollar money thing as well. I had debated whether to send anything because I still have the big expenses of the visa fee and plane ticket for her to come over.

For those on a budget I think they will understand if you tell them of the upcoming expenses it takes to bring them over. If they don't that tells you a lot right there.

I agree. Ling didn't want the money but I told her it is something that was important to me. So her and her daughter accepted and agreed to shop for everyone. I think they decided it was a very nice thing they could do for our family.

I am chinese woman, so I understand her feelings. It is definitely not greedy, it is just so called "spoiled". I got presents from my husband when I was in China. but now I am in the US I didnt get my chrismas present. I got my birthday gift a necklace which is 4 days before christmas. Honestly I dont care about christmas gift, I just made sure we had enough gifts for kids. My husband asked me what I wanted to get on christmas,he wanted a rasor now. and we decided to buy them after christams, as the price would be cheapter based on what my husband said

Happiness is found within yourself. No one can 'make' someone else happy. Happiness found in material items is fleeting.

your wife does not make you happy? :blink:

i can tell you ChunYan has the power to change my attitude towards life in a single breath...

i think if my girl wants a gift for christmas and its something so simple to make her happy...

buy her a gift already..

all i wanna do is make my girl happy.

as she does the same to me.

maybe some folks dont want anything for christams, but the point is MeiMei did.

is it so difficult to buy some little gift just to put a smile on your SO's face.

if this is such a problem im afraid to see what the future holds in this relationship.

ChunYan and i both spoil each other as much as possible :D

Edited by izus (see edit history)