What are good presents?

So the holidays are coming and I bought my SO some presents. I bought her some nive skin care porducts (these were recommended to me by a member here), and I bought her a very nice watch (OOP's as I found out). I am not sending the watch but it brought to mind what are good presents to send or bring and what presents should I definitely stay away from?

I believe I also read that you give the presents in even numbers/. Is this correct???

So what are your thoughts??? This is cultural and I want to get it right.

I think I read that pastels and brighter colors (ie red's and pinks) are great but stay away from blacks. If I am wrong please tell me so I do not make a mistake here.

Also when I fly to China, Nicole wants me to meet her family and I do not want to make a bad impression.

What to get her Mother?

What to get her Father?

What about sisters and brothers?

How much of the extended family doyou buy for it any?

Is there a problem getting presents through customs in China?

Bringing presents to China, can they be wrapped or should I leave them unwrapped and wrap them there??

What else do I need to know?

I appreciate your insight.

Thanks all!!!

Edited by phantom1949 (see edit history)

So the holidays are coming and I bought my SO some presents. I bought her some nive skin care porducts (these were recommended to me by a member here), and I bought her a very nice watch (OOP's as I found out). I am not sending the watch but it brought to mind what are good presents to send or bring and what presents should I definitely stay away from?

I believe I also read that you give the presents in even numbers/. Is this correct???

I think I read that pastels and brighter colors (ie red's and pinks) are great but stay away from blacks. If I am wrong please tell me so I do not make a mistake here.

Also when I fly to China, Nicole wants me to meet her family and I do not want to make a bad impression.

What to get her Mother?

What to get her Father?

Bringing presents to China, can they be wrapped or should I leave them unwrapped and wrap them there??

Thanks all!!!

Phanthom,

Try this link I did a while back. Goes into face, Chinese family and fiancee/wife, etc, etc. http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=12659&hl=

BTW, I added this as an afterthought. My marriage anniversary is December 25th. Yin gets Chistmas and anniversary gifts at the same time. LOL! It is also hard to forget when your anniversary is too!

Dave

Edited by Cerberus (see edit history)

What to get her Mother?

What to get her Father?

Thanks all!!!

Phanthom,

Try this link I did a while back. Goes into face, Chinese family and fiancee/wife, etc, etc. http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=12659&hl=

BTW, I added this as an afterthought. My marriage anniversary is December 25th. Yin gets Chistmas and anniversary gifts at the same time. LOL! It is also hard to forget when your anniversary is too!

Dave

Well Happy Anniversay (almost)!!!!

I realize that since you are married you probably give her the paycheck, but when you met her family for the first time, did you bring presents?????

phantom,

I'm in the same boat and wonder of some appropriate gifts also.

I have purchased gifts for all but her mother for my upcoming visit. Looking forward to reading others responses and answers to your many questions. Below are mine.

For her father, I purchased three different sizes/colors of "Maglite" flashlights.

For her sister, I purchased an "Electronic, Chinese - English Talking Dictionary," as she is learning English also.

For my SO, too many to mention. Some a bit practical, some a bit romantic.

Here are some things to remember while shopping for gifts to present in China:

Giving gifts in single or odd numbers can imply loneliness or separation, while gifts given in pairs are highly appropriate, as it equates to good luck. Colors and the way a gift is wrapped can also hold a great deal of significance.

Clothing in bright colors match my SO's taste, so past and present clothing gifts have been in shades of pink, orange (her favorite) and red.

Colors such as white, blue or black are associated with funerals. Do not wrap gifts in these colors. Red, yellow and pink are seen as joyful colors, and are perfectly acceptable for gift wrap. Just remember not to write anything in red ink, as this symbolizes the severing of a relationship.

Sharp objects such as knives, letter openers, or scissors. These gifts imply the severance of a relationship.

I also know of the significance of a gift of the clock, but not a watch. The word for clock in Mandarin sounds like the word for death, so clocks are generally not given to Chinese people. Although the younger generation is not as superstitious about this. I have yet to hear of someone in China calling a watch a clock.

One of my first gifts to my SO was a beautiful watch. This gift was well accepted and loved by her and her entire family and friends.

Hope this helps.

Clayton

phantom,

I'm in the same boat and wonder of some appropriate gifts also.

I have purchased gifts for all but her mother for my upcoming visit. Looking forward to reading others responses and answers to your many questions. Below are mine.

For her father, I purchased three different sizes/colors of "Maglite" flashlights.

For her sister, I purchased an "Electronic, Chinese - English Talking Dictionary," as she is learning English also.

For my SO, too many to mention. Some a bit practical, some a bit romantic.

Here are some things to remember while shopping for gifts to present in China:

Giving gifts in single or odd numbers can imply loneliness or separation, while gifts given in pairs are highly appropriate, as it equates to good luck. Colors and the way a gift is wrapped can also hold a great deal of significance.

Clothing in bright colors match my SO's taste, so past and present clothing gifts have been in shades of pink, orange (her favorite) and red.

Colors such as white, blue or black are associated with funerals. Do not wrap gifts in these colors. Red, yellow and pink are seen as joyful colors, and are perfectly acceptable for gift wrap. Just remember not to write anything in red ink, as this symbolizes the severing of a relationship.

Sharp objects such as knives, letter openers, or scissors. These gifts imply the severance of a relationship.

I also know of the significance of a gift of the clock, but not a watch. The word for clock in Mandarin sounds like the word for death, so clocks are generally not given to Chinese people. Although the younger generation is not as superstitious about this. I have yet to hear of someone in China calling a watch a clock.

One of my first gifts to my SO was a beautiful watch. This gift was well accepted and loved by her and her entire family and friends.

Hope this helps.

Clayton

Clayton, Thanks.

I was also wondering have you ever sent presents at the beginning of a relationship??? Nicole and I have not met yet but I wanted to send her a holiday present.

Is it safe to send a watch??? I will insure everything of course.

Do you wrap presents or will customs unwrap them while searching?

Does customs search every package???

I bought Nicole a lot of Victoria's Secret's Skin Care Products and they come individually packages. Do you suggest my eaving them in the individual boxes, which is what I was planning to do. Again the gift wrapping issues....

All comments, thoughts and advise is helpful!!!

Thanks again.

Lawrence

Edited by phantom1949 (see edit history)

Lawrence,

As posted on TSA's website:

*Wait to wrap your gifts. Be aware that wrapped gifts may need to be opened for inspection. This applies to both carryon and checked baggage.

Also states that if wrapped gifts are opened, you guessed it, they will not rewrap them. Go figure!

Would certainly not think all packages are opened and viewed by customs, but pack and send/take as if they do. Mine have not been opened, either to or from the US.

I have also sent the Victoria's Secrets skin care products. They come well boxed. I would leave them intact.

Sometimes I kick myself, but I am a gift giver. I have sent small, cheap gifts during the beginning of our relationship. Even though I still consider this the beginning, I continue to send gifts both small and large.

The gift of the watch sent was via USPS Express Mail Guaranteed. Fully insured for both the watch and the shipping charges. Save all receipts. Never a problem with the delivery. Told packages are to arrive in 3 - 5 business days and all have always arrived on day 4.

Still watching this post for other members replies. Hoping to answer the question of a gift for her mama.

Clayton

Lawrence,

As posted on TSA's website:

*Wait to wrap your gifts. Be aware that wrapped gifts may need to be opened for inspection. This applies to both carryon and checked baggage.

Also states that if wrapped gifts are opened, you guessed it, they will not rewrap them. Go figure!

Would certainly not think all packages are opened and viewed by customs, but pack and send/take as if they do. Mine have not been opened, either to or from the US.

I have also sent the Victoria's Secrets skin care products. They come well boxed. I would leave them intact.

Sometimes I kick myself, but I am a gift giver. I have sent small, cheap gifts during the beginning of our relationship. Even though I still consider this the beginning, I continue to send gifts both small and large.

The gift of the watch sent was via USPS Express Mail Guaranteed. Fully insured for both the watch and the shipping charges. Save all receipts. Never a problem with the delivery. Told packages are to arrive in 3 - 5 business days and all have always arrived on day 4.

Still watching this post for other members replies. Hoping to answer the question of a gift for her mama.

Clayton

Clayton:

So I can send the watch. Cool.

I think I will see that the first package gets through before I send the watch.

So another question, do you add your SO's phone number to the address or not???

Thanks again,

Lawrence

Lawrence,

Yes, in fact the phone number will be required. My SO always receives a call from the delivery personnel early in the AM prior to delivery as it needs signed for and arranges for a certain time to deliver it.

I also include her address and name in Chinese characters, which I paste to the parcel. I can't expect our English reading delivery personnel here in the US to decipher Chinese characters and get it delivered to me promptly. She sends her packages and greeting cards with my name and address in English.

As for parcel shipping wrapped gifts to China, feel free. I have and as stated, yet to have any shipped goods opened to or from China. This has not been the norm for all here on CFL though. I have read where others have had their shipped goods opened and viewed by customs.

I will gamble once again and send her Christmas gift wrapped.

Clayton

Edited by clayton2103 (see edit history)

Lawrence.

Thanks for the congratulations.

Nope, I believe that my wife and I are different than most Chinese marriages (However, this may be a genealization on my part). I run all of the family finances, investments, savings, including the paycheck. Inside of the home, what she goes! Outside the home, it is the opposite degree; I have my say so. Of course we both input and make suggestions into each other's domain.

For example, she states that she needs new furniture, etc, I work it into the budget; help with the shopping, etc. for her. This check and balance works well for us. Each couple has their own style that they prefer. There is no right way. There is no wrong way.

To insure that other not think that I'm a control freak, she has her own Visa and Bankcard, and knows almost to the penny how much we have at all times.

My only thing that I would worry about a watch is her choice of style. Almost the same thing applies to clothing. These are articles that I almost never, ever buy for my wife. What I think looks, good, sexy, colorful, etc, etc, may not be what she thinks the gift is. The watch falls into this category. However, I believe watches are not considered the same things as clocks.

I know that Yin comes a very cultured and educated family; books, educational items, etc are the norm for them. However, this is my family, yours is probably different, as is every other forum members is different. I would suggest the intelligence game and determine what is good or bad. Clayton already covered the big faux paus's in his posting. I would be a bit leery of purchasing electronics, that are expensive for 2 reasons

1) A lot of the same goods are there and quite a bit cheaper. You might want to keep the cash or bankcard in hand and take them to the electronics store and get what they want. of course you PAY! LOL.

2) Chinese Customs may take exception, when you accidentally leave them there. Some goods are OK. Some will get their attention and they will ask. Then you have to be left with them, explaining to them that they are gifts etc, etc.

I would suggest American and/or European chocolate. Chinese from what I have seen have a particular weakness for chocolate, not from China. To my taste buds, Chinese chocolate should only be forced fed to prisoners. I took 10 pounds with me once for gifts. The chocolate was damn near gone at the end of a 10-day visit! Don¡¯t know how, but none of them developed acne LOL.

May I suggest that you might hold up shopping for make-up and other imported goods. Make a shopping list. Then go on-line and find the duty free store in the airport you are departing from. This way you can save yourself some money on taxes and import duties.

Regard to candy, not very extravagant will do. WalMart, Fred Meyer, Sam¡¯s Club Costco, etc is all that is needed. Purchase last minute and/or forgotten gifts in the same duty-free store with European chocolate. Make-up is a good advisement to get also at the duty-free. Yin uses Shishedo cosmetic products. Try to buy them in the US and then compare what you pay in duty-free shops. It is almost 30% cheaper.

Take care and hope that I have helped and not confused you futher.

Dave

Edited by Cerberus (see edit history)

Lawrence.

Thanks for the congratulations.

Nope, I believe that my wife and I are different than most Chinese marriages (However, this may be a genealization on my part). I run all of the family finances, investments, savings, including the paycheck. Inside of the home, what she goes! Outside the home, it is the opposite degree; I have my say so. Of course we both input and make suggestions into each other's domain.

For example, she states that she needs new furniture, etc, I work it into the budget; help with the shopping, etc. for her. This check and balance works well for us. Each couple has their own style that they prefer. There is no right way. There is no wrong way.

To insure that other not think that I'm a control freak, she has her own Visa and Bankcard, and knows almost to the penny how much we have at all times.

My only thing that I would worry about a watch is her choice of style. Almost the same thing applies to clothing. These are articles that I almost never, ever buy for my wife. What I think looks, good, sexy, colorful, etc, etc, may not be what she thinks the gift is. The watch falls into this category. However, I believe watches are not considered the same things as clocks.

I know that Yin comes a very cultured and educated family; books, educational items, etc are the norm for them. However, this is my family, yours is probably different, as is every other forum members is different. I would suggest the intelligence game and determine what is good or bad. Clayton already covered the big faux paus's in his posting. I would be a bit leery of purchasing electronics, that are expensive for 2 reasons

1) A lot of the same goods are there and quite a bit cheaper. You might want to keep the cash or bankcard in hand and take them to the electronics store and get what they want. of course you PAY! LOL.

2) Chinese Customs may take exception, when you accidentally leave them there. Some goods are OK. Some will get their attention and they will ask. Then you have to be left with them, explaining to them that they are gifts etc, etc.

I would suggest American and/or European chocolate. Chinese from what I have seen have a particular weakness for chocolate, not from China. To my taste buds, Chinese chocolate should only be forced fed to prisoners. I took 10 pounds with me once for gifts. The chocolate was damn near gone at the end of a 10-day visit! Don¡¯t know how, but none of them developed acne LOL.

May I suggest that you might hold up shopping for make-up and other imported goods. Make a shopping list. Then go on-line and find the duty free store in the airport you are departing from. This way you can save yourself some money on taxes and import duties.

Regard to candy, not very extravagant will do. WalMart, Fred Meyer, Sam¡¯s Club Costco, etc is all that is needed. Purchase last minute and/or forgotten gifts in the same duty-free store with European chocolate. Make-up is a good advisement to get also at the duty-free. Yin uses Shishedo cosmetic products. Try to buy them in the US and then compare what you pay in duty-free shops. It is almost 30% cheaper.

Take care and hope that I have helped and not confused you futher.

Dave

Dave Thanks....