layover time and customs for new immigrant

I plan to buy air china or eastern china tickets. air china only have 2 hours layover at LAX, eastern china have 3 hours layover at LAX, but air china is around 1000rmb cheaper than eastern china? 2 hours is enough time for me to let luggage and go through customs?

I bought 3 faked LV money purse. one faked LV handbag, Can I take them to the US? if I told customs officer the handbag and purse for me, would he let me enter to the US? my husband said if custmos caught me, i would be put in jail :rolleyes:

which airline is better? air china or esteran china?

It will be more than appreciate if someone can answer my question.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knows. If you mail it to the US and its opened by customs or the Postal authorities, you can face criminal charges. Remember, LV does not want to see such items enter the US. If you commit an illegal act and are caught, you could face criminal charges. Unless the LV is real. However, you stated you know it is not real. Thus, you would be knowingly commiting a crime.

I plan to buy air china or eastern china tickets. air china only have 2 hours layover at LAX, eastern china have 3 hours layover at LAX, but air china is around 1000rmb cheaper than eastern china? 2 hours is enough time for me to let luggage and go through customs?

I bought 3 faked LV money purse. one faked LV handbag, Can I take them to the US? if I told customs officer the handbag and purse for me, would he let me enter to the US? my husband said if custmos caught me, i would be put in jail :rolleyes:

which airline is better? air china or esteran china?

It will be more than appreciate if someone can answer my question.

Three hours is a lot safer than two at LAX. In my opinion China Southern and China Eastern are far better airlines than Air China. Opinions will vary on this but depending on the arrival time and your final destination, you could get stuck in LA overnight. I have, but because of a departure delay leaving China, not because of US Customs. My wife would not have made a two hour connection when she arrived at LAX, even though her flight arrived on time.

Who knows. If you mail it to the US and its opened by customs or the Postal authorities, you can face criminal charges. Remember, LV does not want to see such items enter the US. If you commit an illegal act and are caught, you could face criminal charges. Unless the LV is real. However, you stated you know it is not real. Thus, you would be knowingly commiting a crime.

Can i take handbag on my shoulder , because it is for myself?

We came through customs in Chicago this month with 97 handbags... :o They asked me if they were knock-offs...I said no they were handmade purses from my wife's hometown in Hunan...I invited them to check for themselves... :unsure: they declined and nicked us $42 for customs fees on the stated value...If they had called my bluff would I be in prison now... :ph34r: I also declared 2 watches...a Breitling and a Patek Phillipe...did I pay $30,000 for these or??? they only asked if they were for resale and I said ...nope...If you want knock-off purses I can take you to local malls where you can buy Kate Spade, Coach, LV, Prada or Burberry at greatly reduced prices... :o

It could be that big manufacturers such as LV makes profits off their merchandise and makes nothing from fakes. So the LV company wants to see copyright infingement laws enforced and smuggling of fakes prosecuted. I am not saying you will get caught and even if you do that you will be prosecuted. But if you are, you can't use an excuse that people on this website told you its okay. You know whether you mail it, pack it, carry it in yourself its illegal. Ask an attorney or US Customs.

I doubt very seriously you would be prosecuted for bringing a knock off purse if it is your personal purse you are wearing on your shoulder. They are much more concerned with people bringing them in for resale. If asked just tell them you don't know what kind of purse it is. You saw it in a shop in China liked it and bought it.

As far a 2 hr lay over at LAX that is a pretty tight schedule. You will need to clear customs and immigration as well as make it to another terminal. As an example my wife took 1 1/2 hours to clear customs and immigration in Seattle. If she would have had a connecting flight 30 minutes later she would have likely missed it.

If everything at the POE went quickly and smoothly, two hours would be enough, but you have to be prepared for lines and delays.

When you enters the US, you have to get your luggage first, then go thru customs, then immigration, and on to your next plane.

I would definitely try for no less than a 3 hour layover at your POE just to allow time for flight delays, long lines, and potential inspection at customs, as well as the time to get to your next flight.

As for airlines, I believe China Eastern the better of the two...we have flown Air China once from Shanghai to Guangzhou and back, and it was about an hour late on both legs.

Personally, even if the cost is higher, we fly United Airlines because they are on time more frequently, and whenever issues arise, they have been very helpful at resolving them. I have also heard that Air China's customer service is lacking, so if you have a problem, they may not be so helpful, and that could cost more time and money that could exceed savings on the ticket price.

Good luck Paula!

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)

I've brought back knockoffs from China on every trip without any problems. Customs is not so much interested in ones and twos of an item. They are after the big fish.

A two hour layover at LAX could cause you more than a little anxiety. The flights from China enter at one terminal, I believe it is the Bradley Terminal. Once you exit that terminal you have to make your way by walking or taking a bus to your departure terminal, check in and go through security again. If you are not familiar with LAX, it may be wise to have the extra time to get to the correct departure area. You can go on the Internet to find a layout of the LAX terminal. If you know what airline you will be taking out of LA, you can locate this terminal on the map so you know where you are going.

See, it's a piece of cake :lol: Good Luck!

Paula, a better option than taking the more expensive flight from China might be to adjust the onward flight in the US to give you more time. If you're going from LAX to a major US destination you'll have many choices. Give yourself at least 3 hours between flights. If your Air China flight is Beijing to LAX I have flown that many times, it's a 747 and quite nice.

BTW, different airlines flying to LAX arrive at different terminals: China Eastern is at Bradley, China Southern at Terminal 5, and Air China at Terminal 2.

As far as the bag goes I agree that the chances of having a problem are small BUT why subject yourself to the stress? It will be natural to worry about many things, leave the bags in China and don't add to your worries.

Good luck!