Buying a clothes dryer and a dishwasher in China...

:roller: :roller: So we're in the appliance department of a large store in China and I decide we need to look at appliances to see what is available. Dozens and dozens of clothes washers, many dish dryers/sterilizers and the grand total of all the clothes dryers and dishwashers would be... ZERO... :huh: Actually there was one new machine that the sales girl told us was both a washer and dryer, but she seemed unconvinced that a machine could actually dry clothes... :blink: The only real American style appliances were a couple of huge side-by-side reefers...about three times the size of the typical Chinese "icebox"...

So can someone please explain to me why Chinese use a machine to wash clothes but not dry them...and then another machine to dry dishes but not wash them... :huh:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:roller: :roller: So we're in the appliance department of a large store in China and I decide we need to look at appliances to see what is available. Dozens and dozens of clothes washers, many dish dryers/sterilizers and the grand total of all the clothes dryers and dishwashers would be... ZERO... :huh: Actually there was one new machine that the sales girl told us was both a washer and dryer, but she seemed unconvinced that a machine could actually dry clothes... :huh: The only real American style appliances were a couple of huge side-by-side reefers...about three times the size of the typical Chinese "icebox"...

So can someone please explain to me why Chinese use a machine to wash clothes but not dry them...and then another machine to dry dishes but not wash them... :huh:

Roger, what is it that the farmer is holding in his hand. It looks like it should be in TC or Hustler Magazine :blink:

Edited by Rakkasan (see edit history)

:roller: Don't know about dishwashers or dish dryers. :roller:

But Lao Po and I did do some appliance shopping for our Beijing apartment. We ended up buying Panasonic cloths washing machine and dryer (stackable). We looked at dozens of washing machines and dryers, some were both wash and dry in the same machine....but her brother had one of these, and I was never impressed with the wash/dry results. So I convinced Lao Po to go for the individual function machines. They work very well, but I must remind Lao Po she must do small loads and not cram everything she can fit into the washing drum. :huh:

PapaBear :blink:

:roller: :blink: So we're in the appliance department of a large store in China and I decide we need to look at appliances to see what is available. Dozens and dozens of clothes washers, many dish dryers/sterilizers and the grand total of all the clothes dryers and dishwashers would be... ZERO... :huh: Actually there was one new machine that the sales girl told us was both a washer and dryer, but she seemed unconvinced that a machine could actually dry clothes... :huh: The only real American style appliances were a couple of huge side-by-side reefers...about three times the size of the typical Chinese "icebox"...

Roger, what is it that the farmer is holding in his hand. It looks like it should be in TC or Hustler Magazine :huh:

Rac where did you go to art school anywho? That is the famous painting "American Gothic" by Grant Wood circa 1930...enjoy it while you can...others may not appreciate fine art... :roller:

:blink: Don't know about dishwashers or dish dryers. :huh:

But Lao Po and I did do some appliance shopping for our Beijing apartment. We ended up buying Panasonic cloths washing machine and dryer (stackable). We looked at dozens of washing machines and dryers, some were both wash and dry in the same machine....but her brother had one of these, and I was never impressed with the wash/dry results. So I convinced Lao Po to go for the individual function machines. They work very well, but I must remind Lao Po she must do small loads and not cram everything she can fit into the washing drum. :huh:

PapaBear :huh:

Well now at least I know clothes dryers do exist in China...I don't even remember what city it was in which we looked at them... :roller: We covered a lot of km on this trip, but they had NO dryers...I also doubt that one machine would do a very good job at both functions...kind of like the amphicar... :roller:

:happydance: Hey Roger......we bought a refrigerator with our appartment. The seller of the apartment bought it a year before he sold us his apartment. He wasn't planning on selling the refrigerator with the apartment, but we liked it and included it in our offering.

The refrigerator is an "Electrolux." The cadalic of refrigerators. :roller:

I'm still looking where the access for vacum hose is???? I thought for sure this must be a dual-purpose appliance....vacum cleaner/refrigerator. OOps....guess I was wrong! :lol:

PapaBear :roller:

Daughter has one of those "wash/then dry the clothes" together machines.

Brand spankin new, POS. Is what it is!

Sooooo.......... everything gets hung in the window/clothes/room/bathroom,,well you get the picture.

Don't do it,

well the one daughter has anyway,

washes okay, but not like a machine here. Here? top load, and it beats the clothes to death. Daughter has a front load, and spins so good!!!

I looked in Shanghai for a drier, not long, but we did look. Nothing to my liking either. Not like the good old drier in the US where the only thing that goes bad in 20 yrs is the belt, and the “lemon” is the one where the timer goes out in 10 yrs.

Could ship them over, but even then that's crazy. Shipping cost? no telling. Worth the look at how much, or to settle for something different? Maybe. Just do gas, and convert the electric on the drier would be easiest, I think.

Oh,

Chinese machines, the language will be in Chinese, most likely. Some may have English also, but lao po can teach you to run them if they are in Chinese only too.. :P

To those who have not spent time in China, try to wash clothes in SO's machine if you get the chance. Not her work it, but you work it. Try to turn on the AC for that matter and get it to work right. :lol:

If you can't read Chinese, good luck. I had a little talking with the AC remote. A few times. :angry: Once the remote and I had an understanding? Worked like a champ. :D

Anyway,

Or, find a company, and call the company that makes them in China. Try someone who imports them. They may know.

I've not searched for this item, but it may be worth the look. Especially if Lao po likes them here. Wait, Will she use them? :blink:

I hope not. :huh:

Oh man....... :o

That is where you messed up! Ain't it? You let her in on these items here, now she wants them in China.

Didn't you? :P

Out with the machines!!!!!!!!!! :D

Really,

I'll look to see if my company, Emerson, does this. We have a employee program that has these items for here in the US, and I'll see if they are offered in China for employees. At least see if there is a Rep/Distributor for the region.

Edited by yuan fen (see edit history)

Actually shipping over a dryer or two when we move wouldn't be so expensive. Since we'll be shipping a lot of stuff I understand if you have more than 1/8 of a container load it's cheap. Howsomever, US appliances are just too big. I would like a stacked set in the second bathroom and with a US set you couldn't fit through the door... :o

Anyway on to "other" appliance questions, mainly...HOT WATER... ;) I have used the overhead tank type hot water heater in China but I liked the idea of the tankless kind better. Both are readily available but laopo says the tank kinds all use electric and the tankless use gas and gas is more 'SPENSIVE... :angry: where is my valium Bobby???

Actually shipping over a dryer or two when we move wouldn't be so expensive. Since we'll be shipping a lot of stuff I understand if you have more than 1/8 of a container load it's cheap. Howsomever, US appliances are just too big. I would like a stacked set in the second bathroom and with a US set you couldn't fit through the door... :o

Anyway on to "other" appliance questions, mainly...HOT WATER... :rolleyes: I have used the overhead tank type hot water heater in China but I liked the idea of the tankless kind better. Both are readily available but laopo says the tank kinds all use electric and the tankless use gas and gas is more 'SPENSIVE... ;) where is my valium Bobby???

Roggie, Roger, Rog

I dont know were your Valiums are but I have my bottles... FULL!!!!

As im going back to China next week for a month.....

And yeap your correct about some of the US appliances will not fit throught the front door

unless you have one of those special front doors.... "that opens like a door and a half" but getting inside some of those special places, bedroom doors, patios doors etc. are very tricky and a tight fit or will not fit at all!!

As for as the water heaters go, we got one of each...

"damn the cost if I die I cant take the money with me and I ain't leaving it for you Rog"

Tank upstairs bathroom and tankless down stairs bathroom

And yea I hear all the time about the darn money it cost...

"wait till she see the bills in the states"

Bobby....