CFL Hainan

Wisconsin today...Heavy snow...6"-11"...24 F now, wind 10 mph Ne, windchill 16 F...temps dropping like a rock later... :ph34r:

Qionghai...72 F right now... :D

And you are where??? :)

-James

Only 72 :o It was 80 here today. I may have to reconsider moving to a frigid region.

Well Dan as much as it pains me to have to... :bangin: ...my goat brother, here is the bad news for LA...

Qionghai, Hainan, China VS Los Angeles, California, USA...Winter weather

Okay this is not a fair fight. Qionghai lies at 19 degrees N latitude and Los Angeles at 34... :o That is the same difference of 15 degrees as there is between LA and Vancouver (49-34=15). Southern California also suffers from a cold ocean current while Hainan basks in the South China Sea... :D

During the next 6 days, which look to be pretty typical of both places. LA has highs of 79, 72, 64, 65, 66 and 66. Qionghai is 81, 81, 75, 73, 79 and 76, an average difference of 8.8 degrees F. But the nights show a really big difference while LA drops into the frigid range of 48-50 every night...Qionghai stays at 71-74... :( So averaging the highs and lows for both ,Qionghai is 16.5 degrees F warmer, or 28 %...The latitude also gives Qionghai a much longer day in the winter, more than an hour more daylight at this time of year. But for a really BIG difference check the prices of fresh LIVE seafood such as lobster, crab, shrimp, clams and abalone... :o

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wisconsin today...Heavy snow...6"-11"...24 F now, wind 10 mph Ne, windchill 16 F...temps dropping like a rock later... :ph34r:

And you are where??? :)

-James

Only 72 :o It was 80 here today. I may have to reconsider moving to a frigid region.

Well Dan as much as it pains me to have to... :D ...my goat brother, here is the bad news for LA...

Okay this is not a fair fight. Qionghai lies at 19 degrees N latitude and Los Angeles at 34... :o That is the same difference of 15 degrees as there is between LA and Vancouver (49-34=15). Southern California also suffers from a cold ocean current while Hainan basks in the South China Sea... :D

During the next 6 days, which look to be pretty typical of both places. LA has highs of 79, 72, 64, 65, 66 and 66. Qionghai is 81, 81, 75, 73, 79 and 76, an average difference of 8.8 degrees F. But the nights show a really big difference while LA drops into the frigid range of 48-50 every night...Qionghai stays at 71-74... :lol: So averaging the highs and lows for both ,Qionghai is 16.5 degrees F warmer, or 28 %...The latitude also gives Qionghai a much longer day in the winter, more than an hour more daylight at this time of year. But for a really BIG difference check the prices of fresh LIVE seafood such as lobster, crab, shrimp, clams and abalone... :o

So you are confirming that LA has perfect days and MUCH BETTER 'cuddle weather' at night? These temps are JUST RIGHT for hearing 'Lao Gong, I am cold, can you warm me?' ;)

-James

Wisconsin today...Heavy snow...6"-11"...24 F now, wind 10 mph Ne, windchill 16 F...temps dropping like a rock later... :o

And you are where??? :lol:

-James

Well Dan as much as it pains me to have to... :ph34r: ...my goat brother, here is the bad news for LA...

Okay this is not a fair fight. Qionghai lies at 19 degrees N latitude and Los Angeles at 34... :o That is the same difference of 15 degrees as there is between LA and Vancouver (49-34=15). Southern California also suffers from a cold ocean current while Hainan basks in the South China Sea... ;)

During the next 6 days, which look to be pretty typical of both places. LA has highs of 79, 72, 64, 65, 66 and 66. Qionghai is 81, 81, 75, 73, 79 and 76, an average difference of 8.8 degrees F. But the nights show a really big difference while LA drops into the frigid range of 48-50 every night...Qionghai stays at 71-74... :D So averaging the highs and lows for both ,Qionghai is 16.5 degrees F warmer, or 28 %...The latitude also gives Qionghai a much longer day in the winter, more than an hour more daylight at this time of year. But for a really BIG difference check the prices of fresh LIVE seafood such as lobster, crab, shrimp, clams and abalone... :D

So you are confirming that LA has perfect days and MUCH BETTER 'cuddle weather' at night? These temps are JUST RIGHT for hearing 'Lao Gong, I am cold, can you warm me?' ;)

-James

it seems there's one in every crowd... :)

Yes James, LA would be superior for freezing in the dark...

Is it finished? My wife says that often new apartments are bare (as in BARE) walls and no fixtures, let alone appliances and such. You may spend another 10k just to get lighting, appliances, paint, and flooring into the thing if it is not finished. Nice to have it custom, but can come as an expensive surprise if you are unprepared.

Your wife is right on the money Kenn. Unfinished is just that...bare concrete walls, floors and ceilings. But all the electrical and plumbing are in place. In the bathrooms the floor goes down about 10" and there are stubs for waste lines and water so you can have things positioned as you want. Neither of the apartments we bought offered any finishing by the developer (although the Yunnan place is painted white, walls and ceilings). There are plenty of companies in the finishing business and we thought it better to be able to pick everything out ourselves. We plan to go back in the summer of 2009 for 2 months and have work done on both places. Demolition of walls to open up the kitchens and perhaps eliminating a bedroom in each to make a huge living room. Then flooring and wall finishing, interior doors, etc. and that's all...basiaclly nothing that can WALK away before we move there in 2013 and do the rest. And my wife also gives the same cost of about 100 K RMB/apartment for finishing, double that for furniture, appliances, electronics and we're good to go... :)

Is it finished? My wife says that often new apartments are bare (as in BARE) walls and no fixtures, let alone appliances and such. You may spend another 10k just to get lighting, appliances, paint, and flooring into the thing if it is not finished. Nice to have it custom, but can come as an expensive surprise if you are unprepared.

Your wife is right on the money Kenn. Unfinished is just that...bare concrete walls, floors and ceilings. But all the electrical and plumbing are in place. In the bathrooms the floor goes down about 10" and there are stubs for waste lines and water so you can have things positioned as you want. Neither of the apartments we bought offered any finishing by the developer (although the Yunnan place is painted white, walls and ceilings). There are plenty of companies in the finishing business and we thought it better to be able to pick everything out ourselves. We plan to go back in the summer of 2009 for 2 months and have work done on both places. Demolition of walls to open up the kitchens and perhaps eliminating a bedroom in each to make a huge living room. Then flooring and wall finishing, interior doors, etc. and that's all...basiaclly nothing that can WALK away before we move there in 2013 and do the rest. And my wife also gives the same cost of about 100 K RMB/apartment for finishing, double that for furniture, appliances, electronics and we're good to go... :D

Good investment!! :)

Roger,

What is the pollution level on the island? I have decided that I cannot live in most Chinese cities because of the air pollution. And on my Oct. visit to Suzhou, I noticed the horrible water quality in the canals.

Being a Wisconsin native, I remember those frigid temperatures! But Florida is getting expensive, and I would like to find a place for retirement that combines affordability and a warm climate.

Brian

Your wife is right on the money Kenn. Unfinished is just that...bare concrete walls, floors and ceilings. But all the electrical and plumbing are in place. In the bathrooms the floor goes down about 10" and there are stubs for waste lines and water so you can have things positioned as you want. Neither of the apartments we bought offered any finishing by the developer (although the Yunnan place is painted white, walls and ceilings). There are plenty of companies in the finishing business and we thought it better to be able to pick everything out ourselves. We plan to go back in the summer of 2009 for 2 months and have work done on both places. Demolition of walls to open up the kitchens and perhaps eliminating a bedroom in each to make a huge living room. Then flooring and wall finishing, interior doors, etc. and that's all...basiaclly nothing that can WALK away before we move there in 2013 and do the rest. And my wife also gives the same cost of about 100 K RMB/apartment for finishing, double that for furniture, appliances, electronics and we're good to go... :)

Good investment!! :rolleyes:

We think so Joanne. Prices have skyrocketed in Sanya and Haikou has gotten very pricey in the choice areas also. It only makes sense that Qionghai would be next. Could it be just an accident that the number of developments there went from 1 to 9 in 1 year ? As more Chinese have more disposable income and more leisure in which to enjoy it, and more of them reach retirement age, it only stands to reason that a warm place like Hainan will draw more people to buy houses there. Of course like anywhere in China now it is a longer term investment since you cannot resell property for 5 years. But I would be surprised if prices have not doubled there in that 5 years.

Roger,

What is the pollution level on the island? I have decided that I cannot live in most Chinese cities because of the air pollution. And on my Oct. visit to Suzhou, I noticed the horrible water quality in the canals.

Being a Wisconsin native, I remember those frigid temperatures! But Florida is getting expensive, and I would like to find a place for retirement that combines affordability and a warm climate.

Brian

POLLUTION !!! The good news is Brian that there really is no pollution to speak of on Hainan.There is very little industry at all outside of growing tropical fruit and fishing. The biggest industry right now is probably building apartment buildings, at least in Qionghai. Florida, I found, just really isn't warm in the winter. I used to go to Big Pine Key over Christmas and New Years every year for some time and you can't get much farther south in the continental US, and most years we spent about half the time down there trying to stay warm in our tent... :rolleyes: Then my parents retired to Bradenton, right in your neck of the woods, and going down there in winter was the same story... :) Hainan is the REAL TROPICS.

Oh you all seem to know so much about Hainan. This makes me happy. My SO lives in Nanning and we are planning a trip to Hainan this coming May to enjoy the beach and warm waters.

This is when and where I plan to propose to her. I will be seeking a small out of the way hotel and perhaps very romantic in nature.

Can anyone here point me in the right direction if you know what I may be looking for?

Thanks for the help.

Clayton

Hainan probably has the best air and water quality in China. went there end of 2004 and really enjoyed it. However, San Ya at the time still was undergoing lots of development. Beihai, which is about 2 hours south of Nanning is another place worth looking at. It is not as polular as San Ya. I am planning on a trip end of this month to look at a particular small island there. It has a church (french) completly built of stone glued together with rice some 200 years ago.

Oh you all seem to know so much about Hainan. This makes me happy. My SO lives in Nanning and we are planning a trip to Hainan this coming May to enjoy the beach and warm waters.

This is when and where I plan to propose to her. I will be seeking a small out of the way hotel and perhaps very romantic in nature.

Can anyone here point me in the right direction if you know what I may be looking for?

Thanks for the help.

Clayton

Gosh I don't know Clayton... :huh: What exactly are you going to propose ? :) But seriously IMHO China is really not a "small, romantic, out-of-the-way hotel" kind of place...perhaps the South of France or Tuscany would be good... :P Okay now I'm really trying to be serious... :D For your purposes I would recommend Sanya as the best place to go...we vacationed there at the Holiday Inn at Yalong Bay and it was very nice...any of the hotels on Yalong Bay give you access to the great beach there and you are a 20 minute drive to the city center...you can get tons of info online about the hotels there or your SO may be able to do better from China...if you have a lot of time you could do a tour of the island seeing the other cities as well...either way I'm sure you'll enjoy it... :D

I'm jealous Roger. We vacationed in Sanyo 2 years ago and loved it. We looked at buying an apartment on the beach but they wanted cash in 7 days (1m yuan), so we passed. I wish I could have pulled it off.

Best of luck to you!

Yeah that gives you an idea how expensive Sanya is Paul... :huh: On the jealousy thingie I'm afraid that you'll have to stand in line... :D When we returned from China having bought 2 apartments some of laopo's friends in the Chinese Wive's Knitting Society were shocked and dismayed... :P How could a person with a smaller income than their husbands afford it??? The truth is I rob banks on the weekends.. :D ...No, not really, the truth is that I did something VERY un-American for many years...Instead of making sure my outgo equaled my income I actually SAVED MONEY...I do not have race cars or airplanes or vacation in Las Vegas several times a year...but more like Chinese I thought it more important to save money than blow it all...so I have not been doing all I could to keep the American Consumption Machine going... :)..sorry... :D

We think so Joanne. Prices have skyrocketed in Sanya and Haikou has gotten very pricey in the choice areas also. It only makes sense that Qionghai would be next. Could it be just an accident that the number of developments there went from 1 to 9 in 1 year ? As more Chinese have more disposable income and more leisure in which to enjoy it, and more of them reach retirement age, it only stands to reason that a warm place like Hainan will draw more people to buy houses there. Of course like anywhere in China now it is a longer term investment since you cannot resell property for 5 years. But I would be surprised if prices have not doubled there in that 5 years.

Rogerluli, good investment indeed. I'm sure your property will go up in value with each passing year. However, I do want to point something out to you. The vast majority of Chinese people will not be moving to warmer destinations for retirement--as Americans do by flocking to Florida. Chinese people are not mobile people. They stay where they are unless a move is necessary to earn money. Otherwise they stay put. So it's very doubtful that older folks will move to a new city just to retire. The exception to that is if their own children have moved to Hainan to work and they want to live closer to their children during retirement, then they may move to Hainan. Otherwise the parents will remain put.

I have been to Haikou once and Sanya four times. I absolutely love Sanya (Yalong Bay area). On the 3rd time there, I looked at some waterfront properties along Sanya Bay and the prices were already up to 8000rmb/square meter. It was too expensive for my tastes already. I wish I had purchased property there the first time I visited Sanya back in 2003.

Most of the buying has been by rich Beijing, Shanghai, WenZhou, HK and Taiwan business people, mostly for investment purposes. It has not been for retirement purposes. I think it's only been loaweis who have look into purchasing a condo for retirement purposes. :D

The practical problem I have with living in Sanya was getting access to western food and buying western amenities. Also obtaining decent looking, modern, and fashionable furniture to decorate the apartment with. The very last time I went to Sanya (May 2005), they finally opened up the first KFC but there still wasn't even a McDonald's there yet. No Starbucks either. It would be tough to live there unless you really adjust to a local's lifestyle. Staying at the 5 star resorts on Yalong Bay is quite different than really living in Sanya.

But I do love Sanya. Just talking about it now makes me want to go back to Sanya and stay at the Sheraton again. It's so gorgeous there! I've been to the Holiday Inn several times to eat. The view from their Cafe is awesome.

I think we should have a Great CFL Getaway at Sanya. I'd definitly go! :D

http://i12.tinypic.com/4dw7j4h.jpg

http://i11.tinypic.com/2r4hkpk.jpg

http://i14.tinypic.com/33be3gj.jpg

http://i13.tinypic.com/35872wk.jpg

http://i10.tinypic.com/4dpl6l0.jpg

http://www.wanquanriver.org/en/

Here's the Qionghai, Hainan website... :D

Roger, Roggie, Rog.

Seems you told me a story Roggie!!!

We made plans to go and visit Hainan before returning to the States.

I had my wife to ask if it was OK for a real Texican to travel and visit

and this ladys reply was SURE we love Texans and there money.

Seems they know a lot about Texas Beef and its good taste.

Since the price of our Condo in "Chongqing" has gone up in value over the

past few years. We may sell it and buy somewhere else.

We will keep our apartment here.

Im just wondering it this one horse town of Hainan is big enough for a

ChezWinConsiner and a REAL Texan?? I would hate to have a Chinese type

replay of the "Shoot out in Dodge City" Remember the good guy always wins!!!

Don't worry folks I will tell y'all if Rog, Roger, Roggie told us

"The hold truth and nothing but the truth"

so help him/you Prince of Duke!!!

Also I want let my camera get lost/stolen as some other person

did........ which i will keep nameless.<<<>>> "Roggie, Roger, Rog"

BTW one other question, if you get cloned,

what happens to the real Roggie? Will he be wearing cement shoes

in the bottom of one those Famous Lakes in ChezWizConSin?

So many questions so little answers