The good wife...

My general impression is that when a woman is thought of as "traditional" the thinker considers her to behave in the traditions of her mother or mother's generation. When and where traditions change slowly, there isn't much difference between mother's and great grandmother's generations. In our time, traditional tends to reflect values and behaviors common from the middle of the 20th century and earlier.

OK, they are traits that are passed down from generations of Chinese mothers to their daughters.

So, what are these traits?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My general impression is that when a woman is thought of as "traditional" the thinker considers her to behave in the traditions of her mother or mother's generation. When and where traditions change slowly, there isn't much difference between mother's and great grandmother's generations. In our time, traditional tends to reflect values and behaviors common from the middle of the 20th century and earlier.

OK, they are traits that are passed down from generations of Chinese mothers to their daughters.

I think I should have married my wifes mother, that aint one of those eedepusis conplexpore conplex is it?

Edited by hakkamike (see edit history)

I think I should have married my wifes mother, that aint one of those eedepusis conplexpore conplex is it?

Marrying your own mother would qualify as an Oedipus Complex... to marry your mother in-law.. let's just call it a Mikey-Plus Complex :D

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

Marrying your own mother would qualify as an Oedipus Complex... to marry your mother in-law.. let's just call it a Mikey-Plus Complex :D

you are just determined to send this to the TC. Aren't you! :angry:

Well, anyway, is she hot? :P

you are just determined to send this to the TC. Aren't you! :angry:

I WOULD DO HER :P

Edited by hakkamike (see edit history)

Interesting topic since I had a conversation about this when in China with the husband of Jen's cousin. Seems he was a bit alarmed about how I was treating Jen as a partner rather than her master and giving her freedoms that are not good in his eyes as a Chinese wife.

1, Budgeting for trips to China was too expensive and I should have not allowed Jen to travel to China.

2, I should take more charge of our marriage dictating every part of what Jen does.

3, It is not a good idea to allow Jen to meet and become friends with other Chinese here as it would lead to her not learning English and assimilating into America.

4, Reguardless of expense, I should demand that we have a baby right away as this will change Jen's attitudes about many things.

5, Taking care of me when I am sick or injured should not be looked at as her caring for me out of love but is rather her duty as a wife.

6, Jen should be my subordinate not my partner.

7, We would have a much better chance of making it by starting our own business in China rather than staying in the United States.

My response was to agree with him by politley nodding my head rater than arguing about the differences in an American marriage. will Jen and I make any changes? Naw, we seem fine as is. :D

you are just determined to send this to the TC. Aren't you! :P

Mine is dead for some years... never meet her... so the "hotiness" is unknown... I think she's cold :angry:

Mine is dead for some years... never meet her... so the "hotiness" is unknown... I think she's cold :angry:

I'm sorry, I thought this was a serious question.

It was.. until mikey (and I) replied... hopefully someone will steer it back on course...

It was.. until mikey (and I) replied... hopefully someone will steer it back on course...

I hope so, this really was I conversation I had in China not more than a couple of weeks ago and thought very interesting to see the expectations on the Chinese side. If my post can't start, I'll make a new thread tomorrow. I think it really could me a good topic for discussion.

I hope so, this really was I conversation I had in China not more than a couple of weeks ago and thought very interesting to see the expectations on the Chinese side. If my post can't start, I'll make a new thread tomorrow. I think it really could me a good topic for discussion.

I agree Jim.. this seems different than the OP (which may be unanswerable), but yours may be more worthwhile :D

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

ok.. Dennis.. I'll take you seriously now..

One can almost take chinese traditional values as synonymous with Confucian Values... He wrote some books about society and people's ethical position within. So I'll take a stab from his pont of view.

The Confucian code might be summarized as:

- Obedience and respect

- a code of deference

- rules of virtue and responsibility

- filial piety

The Confucian traditional values of the women:

- inner strength

- silent

- patient

- sense of restraint

- promoting harmony

- subservient to the male-oriented society

The husband / wife relationship is but one of five filial relationships he defined. Maintaining the proper relations was very important and ascribed as: ·ò¸¾Ö®µÀ (fu1fu4zhi1dao4) , The way (dao) of the husband and wife, or the Proper relations of the husband and wife...

One can almost take chinese traditional values as synonymous with Confucian Values... He wrote some books about society and people's ethical position within. So I'll take a stab from his pont of view.

- Obedience and respect

- a code of deference

- filial piety

- inner strength

- silent

- patient

- sense of restraint

- promoting harmony

The husband / wife relationship is but one of five filial relationships he defined. Maintaining the proper relations was very important and ascribed as: ·ò¸¾Ö®µÀ (fu1fu4zhi1dao4) , The way (dao) of the husband and wife, or the Proper relations of the husband and wife...

If we married a Chinese lady 100 years ago I'm sure we would find one who follows these antiquated ideas of yesteryear. What the heck, if we married an american woman 100 years ago I'm sure we would find one like that also.

Problem is A) my time machine is broken and :D who would really want one like that?

- Obedience and respect

- a code of deference

- filial piety

- inner strength

- silent

- patient

- sense of restraint

- promoting harmony

If we married a Chinese lady 100 years ago I'm sure we would find one who follows these antiquated ideas of yesteryear. What the heck, if we married an american woman 100 years ago I'm sure we would find one like that also.

Problem is A) my time machine is broken and :ph34r: who would really want one like that?

I agree.. and I leave out most of the really bad implications of the gender inequality imposed on women by this so called 'ethic' or 'virtuous life'... but I think some of these traits get passed and maybe watered/modernized down...

If we married a Chinese lady 100 years ago I'm sure we would find one who follows these antiquated ideas of yesteryear.

Yep, and we might be getting toward the end of the visa process about now. :(