New Members to CFL

Hello All,

MY SO and I, Aiwen from Nanning, are just entering the visa process, and I would like to thank everyone for such a good, informative, and supportive forum. I am sure we will need your support as we endure this overly-difficult and often aggravating process. I'm going to China for a visit Dec 1 for about 18 days, and I'll post my experiences here. Aiwen will be logging in as well, I am sure we will make many new friends here who are enduring the separation and anxiety of this visa ordeal. We are seeking the K1 visa because it seems faster to obtain. Wish us luck!

Steve

Wildwood, GA

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello All,

MY SO and I, Aiwen from Nanning, are just entering the visa process, and I would like to thank everyone for such a good, informative, and supportive forum. I am sure we will need your support as we endure this overly-difficult and often aggravating process. I'm going to China for a visit Dec 1 for about 18 days, and I'll post my experiences here. Aiwen will be logging in as well, I am sure we will make many new friends here who are enduring the separation and anxiety of this visa ordeal. We are seeking the K1 visa because it seems faster to obtain. Wish us luck!

Steve

Wildwood, GA

Welcome to our nightmare--think your gonna like it!!

Trigg

Hello All,

Steve

Wildwood, GA

Welcome aboard!! You won't *enjoy* the ride, but you will like the company! :gathering:

Yanlan is from Nanning too.

Rick And Yanlan

Hello All,

Steve

Wildwood, GA

Welcome Steve and Aiwen

There is a lot of great people here and a world of info here and many folks will do all they

can do to help you alone the path to see the wizzard in GZ.

but don't ask me any questions as I'm from Texas and I don't know nothing.

We wish you luck and welcome once again

pull up a chair and get comfortable its a long long long ride

did I tell you it was a long ride?

Bobby....

Welcome to CFL,

You've found a good place to get information and maybe make some new friends.

Don't listen to Bobby. He knows more than he is willing to admit.

We do tend to joke around a lot, so be prepared for some good ol'ribbin if ya stick around.

My wife, Lisa is also from Nanning. You'll not only find those like you who are going through the visa anxiety now, but some who have successfully navigated the system and are home free. (Well, not free, but you get the idea.)

Your first task is to go out and buy a case of Cheetos. You'll need 'em to get you through...

Mike and Lisa

Welcome Steve and Aiwen. Yan is from Nanning as well. You will surely enjoy China, Nanning and its people.

The only advice I can give you is DO NOT LISTEN TO TRIGG!!!!!

Sorry if I get a little off topic....Ugly as hell Trigg, his beautiful and charming wife and equally beautiful and charming daughters came to visit Yan and I. Shortly after he left, my computer was destroyed by some unknown viruses, my mini-van blew its radiator, dishwasher got fried and Minnie Mouse keeps calling me wanting his phone number. :gathering: :(

Welcome Steve and Aiwen. Yan is from Nanning as well. You will surely enjoy China, Nanning and its people.

The only advice I can give you is DO NOT LISTEN TO TRIGG!!!!!

Sorry if I get a little off topic....Ugly as hell Trigg, his beautiful and charming wife and equally beautiful and charming daughters came to visit Yan and I. Shortly after he left, my computer was destroyed by some unknown viruses, my mini-van blew its radiator, dishwasher got fried and Minnie Mouse keeps calling me wanting his phone number. :gathering: :(

Arrrrgggg!!!!!!! He's back!!!!!!

This looks like your first trip to meet. Please read about what to be aware of as far as gathering things that you will need farther down the process if all works out. One inportant thing is proof that you paid for your own tickets at this stage. So get a hard copy of your travel situation, keep your credit card statements for proof you paid for your plane tickets. Also make a copy of what you are going to be doing in china. by letter or yahoo messenger and print out a hard copy of that discussion . Call her on the phone and get a hard copy of the calls during the month. This is for proof of relationship. Keep all your plane tickets stubs as they will be needed. If you stay at her place you need to register at the police station. (this is the law)No big deal ....10 minutes at best . keep a copy as further proof you met. Some day a government person will sit at his desk and desire to see proof. proof of this proof of that. If you go into this process they will maybe seek proof of many things from you Maybe....but best to gather now as you progress in your relationship.

Hello All,

Steve

Wildwood, GA

Welcome Steve and Aiwen

There is a lot of great people here and a world of info here and many folks will do all they

can do to help you alone the path to see the wizzard in GZ.

but don't ask me any questions as I'm from Texas and I don't know nothing.

We wish you luck and welcome once again

pull up a chair and get comfortable its a long long long ride

did I tell you it was a long ride?

Bobby....

I'm like Bobby...dunno nuth'n either, but "howdy" and welcom pardner.

As aye,

Jim

PS. With all us Texan's here, ya think we could have a clickable smilie with a cowboy hat... :doorscared:

This looks like your first trip to meet. Please read about what to be aware of as far as gathering things that you will need farther down the process if all works out. One inportant thing is proof that you paid for your own tickets at this stage. So get a hard copy of your travel situation, keep your credit card statements for proof you paid for your plane tickets. Also make a copy of what you are going to be doing in china. by letter or yahoo messenger and print out a hard copy of that discussion . Call her on the phone and get a hard copy of the calls during the month. This is for proof of relationship. Keep all your plane tickets stubs as they will be needed. If you stay at her place you need to register at the police station. (this is the law)No big deal ....10 minutes at best . keep a copy as further proof you met. Some day a government person will sit at his desk and desire to see proof. proof of this proof of that. If you go into this process they will maybe seek proof of many things from you Maybe....but best to gather now as you progress in your relationship.

Lostinblue,

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I am keeping copies of everything, even DHL waybills. I plan to have the "kitchen sink" package all ready for the interview in GUZ when the time comes. Aiwen has never been married, I have been and already have multiple certified copies of the divorce papers ready. We have gotten started on the paperwork, in fact I am hand-carrying it to China for her signatures. I always do my "homework", it seems from my research that the correct paperwork properly filled out and everything just as the paper shufflers want will help the process proceed through the mill without any more delays than is normal. I will triple-check everything before I mail the first package to the TSC on my return. Thanks for all the good advice and experiences all of the folks here at CFL are sharing. Our case seems straightforward, but you never know what the government weenies may come up with in the time between now and the interview in GUZ. It is so typical of our government that the place that needs the resourses, like GUZ, doesn't get them.....I always remember that "an elephant is a mouse built to government specifications". Talk about swatting a fly with a sledgehammer. This whole visa process is a gigantic pain in the keister, but the end result will be more than worth all we are putting ourselves through. I am lucky in that I have the type of job that allows me to take off and fly to China to visit(I'm a truck driver), so that makes the separation easier. I plan to return to China again in about 3 months, if I can stand being away that long....I'd take a job there if I could, just to avoid the separation. But that seems hard to find...

Again, thanks, and I'll be checking the site here daily for emotional support, if nothing else...lol...

It's a long haul, but truckers are used to that...lol....

Steve

Welcome to both Steve and Aiwen

My fiance , although not originally from Nanning, lived there for many years. It's where I traveled to 3 times to see her during this god-forsaken journey.

I am counting the hours. She and her daughter Lingyi are in the air now between Guangzhou and Tokyo. After a brief layover, it's a straight shot to Detroit. They arrive about 1:30 Friday afternoon.

You will get bumped and bruised, feel elated and depressed, want to laugh, want to cry, curse USCIS, DOS, GUZ, wonder aloud why in HELL you ever wanted to fly to China, but in the end.....

In the end, when all is said and done, when your Aiwen is at your side, to be with you for the rest of your life...well, then you have even more hoops to jump through. EAD, Green Card, SSA...sorry, I digress.

Welcome to Trigg's nightmare. He thinks you're going to like it. (Ok, so he plagerized Alice Cooper, a Detroit native).

It ain't easy, but it is surely worth it. Oh yeah, if you ever need to vent, you go right ahead. We are here to listen. Just don't flame RLS (Ron). He's a little touchy about that.

Right, ole Buddy???

Mike

Edited by Michael and Manyun (see edit history)

By the way, lostinblue, I am renting an apartment, arranged by Aiwen, for my visit. Do I need to go to the local police station there to register? I've registered my itinerary with the Consulate already....

Steve

This I do not know if you have to then . I understand if you stay at her place you need to register, I cannot see why it would not hurt to have it done at police station.It is a 10 minute process. You do get an offical form from a government agency stamped and certified saying you were at that location at that time.In my mind it does not hurt to have going into this process. I think it is excellent proof of being there. There is a sign at my SO parents housing complex that state if even a chinese person stayed there for longer than 3 weeks or so for a visit they even have to register with the police. This is to prevent the movement of the population from one place in china to the other.

I just found this....

From this website.

On March 1, 2006, a new Public Security Law went into effect that gives police new powers, including the authority to detain and deport foreigners, relating to the commission of a wide range of offenses. The list of offenses has been expanded to include certain religious activities and prostitution-related crimes.

Americans in China, who are not staying at hotels, including Americans who are staying with friends or relatives, must register with local police as soon as they arrive. Otherwise, they may be fined up to 500 RMB per day

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1089.html

Edited by lostinblue (see edit history)