Organic food

Jie saw the Organic veggies at Walmart in Shanghai. She had a pack of them, 2 potatoes @ 5.80 RMB. Then saw the others, 2 @ 1.00 RMB.

I told her that they taste the same. :rolleyes: That is all it took.

Grandma and Grandpa put all kinds of chemicals in the garden to fight the pests, and they lived to be in their 90's.

I don't know what to believe about organic veggies. Just Marketing or Actually Benificial?

Jie saw the Organic veggies at Walmart in Shanghai. She had a pack of them, 2 potatoes @ 5.80 RMB. Then saw the others, 2 @ 1.00 RMB.

Grandma and Grandpa put all kinds of chemicals in the garden to fight the pests, and they lived to be in their 90's.

I don't know what to believe about organic veggies. Just Marketing or Actually Benificial?

Eating organic is a precaution. You just have no idea what is in the regular. Produce comes from all over the world. We import things from countries where pesticides that are banned here are used. The funny thing is those banned products are sent to those countries from American chemical production. The idea was we protect our people and they can decide if they want to protect theirs. That was before everything imaginable was being imported.

The organic choice is not so much about length of life but the quality of it when you are older. Things catch up with us affecting memory, immune system, joints and etc. We really are what we eat and breath. It is what our cells are built from.

It would also be important to know if the organic things grew next to a heavily travelled road with diesel exhaust. If so it really makes no difference. The better way to buy is from your local farmers market.

Eating organic is a precaution. You just have no idea what is in the regular. Produce comes from all over the world. We import things from countries where pesticides that are banned here are used. The funny thing is those banned products are sent to those countries from American chemical production. The idea was we protect our people and they can decide if they want to protect theirs. That was before everything imaginable was being imported.

The organic choice is not so much about length of life but the quality of it when you are older. Things catch up with us affecting memory, immune system, joints and etc. We really are what we eat and breath. It is what our cells are built from.

It would also be important to know if the organic things grew next to a heavily travelled road with diesel exhaust. If so it really makes no difference. The better way to buy is from your local farmers market.

My wife and I have a garden so we can grow organic vegetables, raise our chicken¡¯s free range for eggs and meat, plus have fresh fruit from our vines and trees. The chickens eliminate most of the insects so we haven¡¯t any need for pesticides.

I told her that they taste the same. :blink: That is all it took.

My wife and I have a garden so we can grow organic vegetables, raise our chicken¡¯s free range for eggs and meat, plus have fresh fruit from our vines and trees. The chickens eliminate most of the insects so we haven¡¯t any need for pesticides.

Much better than a farmer's market ;)

I have an agricultural background and I think if a person is sensitive to certain things it is logical to use but a lot of it is pure marketing. If you have the $$$ to spend go for it . As far as added benefits that is questionable. We have the safest food supply in the world . You look for the media for news and they are in the business to sell their products so you get so much of a slanted view on everything you read . So always a big scare . Go buy a small bit of land and raise your own food if you truely desire organic food, After traveling in China and other 3rd world countries I know the world would love to have our food supply. We as americans have little concept of risk . I have friends that will never fly but drive for a living .when you look at the odds flying is safer. Not in their eyes. We have shut down a billion dollor industry http://www.cattlenetwork.com/Content.asp?ContentID=72420 out of unjustified fear that was encouraged by our news media. On a final note I was looking at a meat case at a grocery store once and a woman said she would never eat beef as it would harm her body . This is while she was smoking . So go figure... We live in a free country and if it makes you feel better then eat organic No problem .. it is a way to market a different product for some people. Cost and benefit wise ... something to think about.

Bad news. My wife discovered organic food. Now our food bill is more expensive. She even prefer cage-free eggs. And she likes multi-grains breads. She wants to eat healthy.

I would feel fortunate to have a wife who decided that on her own. It would tell me that perhaps she is feeling the inner need to purify herself, which is a very good sign, or at least, like you say, she just wants to eat healthier, which means she'll likely avoid unhealthy food and habits period, and that can't be bad.

It will cost you more though, but if she really gets into it and has the time, she can buy organic bulk foods and veggies and not so much of the prepared and prepackaged stuff, which is very expensive. Example; I buy enough organic whole oats and bananas for 7 breakfasts (I eat the same thing for breakfast every day) and it costs me probably $3-$4 for the whole week.

Bad news. My wife discovered organic food. Now our food bill is more expensive. She even prefer cage-free eggs. And she likes multi-grains breads. She wants to eat healthy.

I would feel fortunate to have a wife who decided that on her own. It would tell me that perhaps she is feeling the inner need to purify herself, which is a very good sign, or at least, like you say, she just wants to eat healthier, which means she'll likely avoid unhealthy food and habits period, and that can't be bad.

It will cost you more though, but if she really gets into it and has the time, she can buy organic bulk foods and veggies and not so much of the prepared and prepackaged stuff, which is very expensive. Example; I buy enough organic whole oats and bananas for 7 breakfasts (I eat the same thing for breakfast every day) and it costs me probably $3-$4 for the whole week.

My wife worries too worry about her nutrition stuff. She was into Nani juice and now pomegranate Juice and herbal supplements. And she already worry about cleaness. She uses too much soaps, shampoos, and detergents. I think her system is too pure. That is why she gets sick easily.

My wife worries too worry about her nutrition stuff. She was into Nani juice and now pomegranate Juice and herbal supplements. And she already worry about cleaness. She uses too much soaps, shampoos, and detergents. I think her system is too pure. That is why she gets sick easily.

You might be interested in researching bentonite clay it supports the intestinal system in the elimination of toxins plus it is inexpensive. I also use diatomaceous earth which is a natural pesticide with no harm the enviroment, pets or to people. It has many uses I feed it to my chickens and use it in their coop also dust and feed to my dogs on occasions to control worms.

Good tip on the diatamaceous earth. As for the organic part- if it feels good and you can afford it- do it. I have learned, since my wife came to USA, how great fresh, properly cooked (and stored) foods taste. It's not a question of which kind of food lets you live longer, rather it's about tasting and enjoying what you put in.

• 2 weeks later...

I told her that they taste the same. :lol: That is all it took.

Dan, good point.

But an even better way to get produce is to grow it yourself if you can.

I have a background in healthy lifestyle. I have been a srtrict vegan for 30 years and until recently ate nothing but organically grown foods for most of that time. Fortunately I was able to afford the additional expense.

Without a doubt, you are what you eat. The chemicals used in growing and processing our foods are toxic no matter how you spin it. Some people can handle the poison better than others.

For me living this way has made sense and for several years I have reaped the dividends of this mode of diet. When it comes to health and quality of life, it depends on your priorities.

Ken

No more farm-raised salmons for my wife. She found out that they have high level of PCB.

My wife prepared a leopard shark Sunday evening. She took the shark and after running some hot water over it removed the skin by scraping a knife then she cut the tail into small steaks, after frying it in a skillet until the meat turned white added it to a soup along with bamboo hearts and pork backbone. The larger steaks she fried in some olive oil, oyster sauce along with some green onions. Anyway it was delicious it was also very inexpensive only $1.99 a pound we will buy another one for sure this coming weekend. For those that do not like to mess with bones this is the way to go. The supper consisted of shark soup, steaks, rice, and Chinese greens.

"Without a doubt, you are what you eat. The chemicals used in growing and processing our foods are toxic no matter how you spin it. Some people can handle the poison better than others". Ken do some research on bentonite clay in the elimination of toxins and chemicals absorb in our bodies from everyday products, food, and even the air we breathe. Nothing like eating some dirt. :coolthumb: