msnbc.com article

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15351469/Interesting.

I thought this might be interesting and or relevant to the discussions of why there is such a delay.

Best,

CD

This is in the city I live in. I have heard numerous accounts of this going on. It pisses me off to no end. These things are rampant in my city and other cities as well. A friend of mine recently said he was approached in a restaurant by a foreign person asking if he would be interested in marrying someone from another country. He told them to "go to hell" in no uncertain terms.

Yes this is a huge reason for our delays.

Thanks for the article chinadave.

It's infuriating to see these women, no matter which country they come from, being taken advantage-of. Human decency must make it's way into the discussion somehow.

Damn. Those of us legitimate CFLers know what our SOs are giving up to come over to be with us. I have nothing but hatred for anyone who takes advantage of that, for the sake of money, sex, or ego.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15351469/Interesting.

I thought this might be interesting and or relevant to the discussions of why there is such a delay.

Best,

CD

This is in the city I live in. I have heard numerous accounts of this going on. It pisses me off to no end. These things are rampant in my city and other cities as well. A friend of mine recently said he was approached in a restaurant by a foreign person asking if he would be interested in marrying someone from another country. He told them to "go to hell" in no uncertain terms.

Yes this is a huge reason for our delays.

Thanks for the article chinadave.

I read this article earlier this morning on Yahoo. This quote bothers me:

"Couples who don't even know each other

Duwell said she has witnessed couples who couldn¡¯t converse with each other because of a language barrier, and marriage-license applicants who did not know their future spouse¡¯s last name or place of birth. Clerks reports their suspicions to police"

While Manyun has been studying English for several months, her speaking and comprehenion abilities are still rudimentary at best. When we apply for a marriage license, the clerk will have the ability to report us as possible fraudsters (don't wanna go through THAT again) because of some degree of difficulty with speaking to each other in front of the clerk?

It's already hard enough getting past VO's with their discressionary powers. Now we have to deal with city clerks getting a head-rush thinking they might be busting up a marriage scam?

I'm not liking this.....

I read this article earlier this morning on Yahoo. This quote bothers me:

"Couples who don't even know each other

Duwell said she has witnessed couples who couldn¡¯t converse with each other because of a language barrier, and marriage-license applicants who did not know their future spouse¡¯s last name or place of birth. Clerks reports their suspicions to police"

While Manyun has been studying English for several months, her speaking and comprehenion abilities are still rudimentary at best. When we apply for a marriage license, the clerk will have the ability to report us as possible fraudsters (don't wanna go through THAT again) because of some degree of difficulty with speaking to each other in front of the clerk?

It's already hard enough getting past VO's with their discressionary powers. Now we have to deal with city clerks getting a head-rush thinking they might be busting up a marriage scam?

I'm not liking this.....

Anyone can "report" anyone for anything they want. As long as she is in the country legally, there is nothing they can do. I think it's wise for her to carry adequate documentation with her (passport, or I797C for AOS, EAD card, etc.) at all times.

It's conceivable, I suppose, that a clerk could refuse to issue a license (but very unlikely - make sure she can say things like "yes" and "I do"). I'm not being facetious - that's where Jiaying was when we got our license. Just go to a different clerk.

A common language is not a requirement.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

This is nothing new, it has been going on for years. Of course 911 and the fears it brought to everyones lives makes it a little more important to crack down on the ones trying to come into the country for illegal purposes. Yet, us that just want to bring the one we love here to be with us pay the price by having to wait longer and jump through more hoops. If our elected officials would actually crack down on the illegals crossing our boarder to the south before they ever step foot into the U.S. maybe the USCIS would have more time to devote to applications of us trying to do it legally.

In the mean time we will sit and wait.......... :whistling:

I don't think anyone would bother or are interested in reporting you as fraudsters.

A couple with genuine relationship, you can see from their eye contact, body language - it's different from sham marriage.

Two persons in a sham marrige are very distant - one can sense it, feel it, smell it.

It is surprising MSNBC is publishing this story. This has been going on for years and will continue to happen on occassion. I seriously doubt it is a major problem compared to the illegal immigrants. Do you really think we have 20-30 million ladies here illegally? I don't condone anything illegal, but these kinds of stories puts pressure on the consulates to take more time and slow down the process for the legal immigrants. Thank god I have my lady with me now, but I feel for you who are still in the process. Lets hope this story isn't being distributed to China.

It is surprising MSNBC is publishing this story. This has been going on for years and will continue to happen on occassion. I seriously doubt it is a major problem compared to the illegal immigrants. Do you really think we have 20-30 million ladies here illegally? I don't condone anything illegal, but these kinds of stories puts pressure on the consulates to take more time and slow down the process for the legal immigrants. Thank god I have my lady with me now, but I feel for you who are still in the process. Lets hope this story isn't being distributed to China.

My SO just told me that the China news was talking about the number of intending immigrants to the US is causing a great concern to the US.............duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh