Why the time difference?

I read the post of a member who was lucky enough to have his application go through Vermont, and the time frame from P-1 to P-2 was amazing to say the least. As I read the post apparently this isnt out of the norm for applications that go through Vermont. So why when we send our applications to Nebraska that they get sent on to California where they seem to get lost in space? If there is such a backlog in California why wouldnt they send them to Vermont where apparently there is no backlog. Has anyone ever asked USCIS why there is such a difference? Has anyone ever contacted there Senators asking this? It just seems ridiculous that Vermont can do in two weeks what takes everwhere else 2 to 6 months.

Just wondering?

My understanding is location (volume) and system... I read over a year ago how VSC had upgraded their systems [in the past] to be more automated and even better communicate with NVC. So, it's not clear if their ability to upgrade and get funds is autonomous from other centers or how that's done.

Also, they get a second kick (maybe a few days only) since they are so close to NVC... packages transfer quickly.

Just really makes one wonder how there can be such a difference. Maybe if enough of us on the West coast wrote our congress they would help... Oh what was I thinking...lol

My take on why one center is slow and another faster has to do with location like David mentioned. At the risk of being un-PC, I think it has to do with how many illegal aliens are trying to get legalized through the system. You see that the centers that are slow happen to oversee areas with large migrant farmer populations. Vermont would have the least if any at all. Another reason why looking the other way, really breaks an already damaged system.

Do you think the racial mix in California and Texas along with the location of Mexico has anything to do with it?

Being in Texas now and starting my process in California, I have seen a wide variety of race in both locations. The Texas area is doing the DORA plan as a pilot and should speed things up. (Doubtful but there's hope)

I've never been past Chicago so wouldn't know the racial mix on the east coast but would guess similar to California.

Do you think the racial mix in California and Texas along with the location of Mexico has anything to do with it?

Absolutely, not. The racial mix of any area has nothing to do with it. My point I was trying to make was what Rosy brought up. The larger the illegal population, the more case loads the service center must process. California (right next to Mexico) has been always seen as the second slowest center. They have a large immigrant farmer population, so they would have lots of illegal aliens trying to gain amnesty through the system.

Nebraska, notorious for being the slowest, surprisingly has what appears to be the laragest illegal population. They must deal with all the immigrant farmer population from Washington and Oregon, but they also must deal with the large illegal population who works in the meat packing plants in Nebraska. I saw a piece on sixty minutes the other week about these illegals. Nebraska has a very large illegal alien population, so Nebraska invited the INS policing authorities into Nebraska to help rid themselves of this problem. After, a few months the same people who asked them to come, pleaded with the INS officials to leave. It seems very few Americans like to work in our slaughter houses, especially for the wages gained at such places. To rid Nebraska of their illegal alien population would basically shut down the meat processing industry in Nebraska.

This is how bad the situation has become. It is not as easy as rounding up all the illegal aliens and booting them out of the country. You must figure out a way to not crush the local economy in the process. This problem has gone on for so long, it will devistate many local econmies. The US has come up with the best compromise it can think of, giving amnesty to many of the illegal population. This means a very high case load for the service centers who oversee such areas.

New York City has a huge ilegal alien population and they are serviced by Vermont. I read a post by Matt Udall a few years ago on British ex pats and I believe he accredited the difference in timelines to the type of cases they handle. VSC is a small service center that doesn't handle as many different kinds of cases.

New York City has a huge ilegal alien population and they are serviced by Vermont. I read a post by Matt Udall a few years ago on British ex pats and I believe he accredited the difference in timelines to the type of cases they handle. VSC is a small service center that doesn't handle as many different kinds of cases.

I know the Service Centers sometimes trade off petition processing, depending on workloads. The problem seems to be that Texas goes to Califormia or California goes to Nebraska, or vice verse, but very little seems to ever get routed to Vermont. I guess the good news for us TSC/CSC folks is that we don't have to trudge through that cold white stuff that they seem to have up there in the Northeast during the winter. :lol:

I saw a piece on sixty minutes the other week about these illegals. Nebraska has a very large illegal alien population, so Nebraska invited the INS policing authorities into Nebraska to help rid themselves of this problem. After, a few months the same people who asked them to come, pleaded with the INS officials to leave. It seems very few Americans like to work in our slaughter houses, especially for the wages gained at such places. To rid Nebraska of their illegal alien population would basically shut down the meat processing industry in Nebraska.

This is how bad the situation has become. It is not as easy as rounding up all the illegal aliens and booting them out of the country. You must figure out a way to not crush the local economy in the process. This problem has gone on for so long, it will devistate many local econmies. The US has come up with the best compromise it can think of, giving amnesty to many of the illegal population. This means a very high case load for the service centers who oversee such areas.

I saw the same 60 minute program. He's not kidding. It's so ironic and f-edup. They had to beg the INS to back off so they could find enough workers again. But the problem is NOT that there isn't enough American's who'll do the job, it's that the pay has to go up for Americans to accept these kinds of jobs. Of course our beef prices at the market will shoot up dramatically. But then the argument can be made that we just import more beef from Mexico.

I saw a piece on sixty minutes the other week about these illegals. Nebraska has a very large illegal alien population, so Nebraska invited the INS policing authorities into Nebraska to help rid themselves of this problem. After, a few months the same people who asked them to come, pleaded with the INS officials to leave. It seems very few Americans like to work in our slaughter houses, especially for the wages gained at such places. To rid Nebraska of their illegal alien population would basically shut down the meat processing industry in Nebraska.

I saw the same 60 minute program. He's not kidding. It's so ironic and f-edup. They had to beg the INS to back off so they could find enough workers again. But the problem is NOT that there isn't enough American's who'll do the job, it's that the pay has to go up for Americans to accept these kinds of jobs. Of course our beef prices at the market will shoot up dramatically. But then the argument can be made that we just import more beef from Mexico.

South Florida makes some of the same arguments over the hit the local economy will suffer, etc.. Although on face value it's true, but the issue is simply masking the domestic problems we cannot control anyway; people want more money to work and want goods for cheaper prices... you cannot have it both ways that easily.

Though true, it still leaves VSC with the smallest illegal alien population. This population is also not the population for whom Bush sought amnesty. The amnesty program was directed at mostly migrant farmers and guest workers doing legal jobs like meat packing in Nebraska. Many of New York illegals are working in sweat shops. It is in the best interest of these sweat shops for the workers to remain illegal and hidden, then they can continue to literally work these people to death. So yes, this makes it so VSC does not handle too many different types of cases.

So we are back to where would all the amnesty applications be processed, Nebraska, California and Texas. Increase the work load and you slow down all apllications. This also makes sense as to why these three are so good at sharing their work load between each other. They have much the same types of applications, being able to share any type of application when work load makes it necessary.

If a migrant or guest worker became legal, they would still be willing to work for a very small wage. It would still be way more then they could make in their home country.

South Florida makes some of the same arguments over the hit the local economy will suffer, etc.. Although on face value it's true, but the issue is simply masking the domestic problems we cannot control anyway; people want more money to work and want goods for cheaper prices... you cannot have it both ways that easily.

Yeah, you just can't have both. Reminds me of people who bitch about companies who take advantage of foreign labor often paying them too little to really survive, then still go buy their products at WalMart. The only way to stop exploiting the foriegn worker is to boycot places like WalMart. They'll bitch, but they continue to buy. They just want their cheap products at any cost.

The hit to the local economy would also be temporary. Some how it will recover. May not look the same, but economies are normally self healing. Take away the many textile jobs that got exported out to India and wahlah, people found another way to work. Other companies came in and filled the void. Things change. Let them go their course. The government is bowing to the whim of big business. So if we can no longer be competitive in the meat packing industry, either use legal geust workers or close up shop.

Import beef from Mexico? Guess these workers would have to go back to their own country to work. :roller: What a great idea!

People complain about illegal aliens and want the problem fixed until the fix affects their own pocket book. To think people are going to stop buying at Walmart or other places that use illegal's just isn't going to happen. The only way is for the government to enforce the laws and crack down on businesses that hire them. Yes, the price of some items will go up but that is the price we will have to pay.

As far as thinking that giving illegal's amnesty they will stay in these same jobs after they become legal is wishful thinking. As soon as they become citizens here and don't have to hide anymore they will look to improve their situation just like any other American. So there will still be a demand for these jobs that brought them here in the first place, which of course will require new illegal's to replace them.

Of course this doesn't help our situation on getting are SO's here and not having to wait so long.