Questions about filing I-485

1. Do I send in the original vaccination document or a copy?

2. I only have copies of my tax documents for 2005, 2004 and 2003 and I cannot locate my W-2's. Advice? Suggestions?

3. Do I send in the certificate of Health Exam?

4. Birth Certificate, Police clearance , can I send in copies or do I need originals?

5. Do I need to send in a copy of the marriage eligibility?

6. I didn't see anywhere where it asks for proof that we married am I missing something? I can't imagine that INS suddenly trusts us on this one.

This is what I think I need to send in, am I forgetting anything?

I-485

I-186

2 Passport Photos

I-797C approval (copy)

I-94 (copy)

G-325A

Copy of Passport pages

Birth Certificate/Translation (copy?)

Police Clearance/Translation (copy?)

vaccination document (copy?)

Copy of taxes for 2005, 2004 and 2003

6 months pay stubbs

Most important $395.00

1. You don't need to send in the vacination documents you do however have to send in the I-693 supplimental which must be signed off on by a civil surgeon. You need to take the vaccination documents to the civil surgeon to get the supplimental form. The civil surgeon will fill it out, sign it and seal it in an enevelope. Most likely he will give you a copy for your own records. Some of them will try and tell you he needs a whole new exam. He doesn't.

2. copies of your tax forms are fine but they are pretty clear on the intstructions that you need W-2 forms. You employer can get them for you. I vaguely recall that recently they only require the most recent year now.

3. They already have records that he had the medical exam in GZ before the visa was issued. You don't need to send this.

4. Birth certs are a good idea but you won't need the police certs.

5. Seeing as how you just got married he better not be eligible to marry lol. Send in a certified copy of the marriage licence.

6. See 5.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

-- Based on admission as the K-1 fianc¨¦(e) of a United States citizen and subsequent marriage to that citizen.

Attach a copy of the fianc¨¦(e) petition approval notice, a copy of your marriage certificate and your Form 1-94.

Yes, they need proof you got married, so you'll need a certified copy from the courthouse.

Fianc¨¦(e)s.

If you are a K-1 fianc¨¦(e) or K-2 dependent who had a medical examination within the past year as required for the nonimmigrant fianc¨¦(e) visa, you only need to submit a vaccination supplement, not the entire medical report. You may include the vaccination supplement with your adjustment of status application.

Individuals not required to have a medical examination.

If you have your vaccination book from China. Find a civil surgeon. He/She can translate this into a vaccination supplement form. They will then place this form in a sealed envelope which you will send to USCIS. It might take you some looking to find a civil surgeon who will not try to charge you an arm or leg for the translation or try to make you think Lin needs another exam. He is not required to have an exam. If he did not receive the proper vaccines in China, he may need to have these done.

-- Based on admission as the K-1 fianc¨¦(e) of a United States citizen and subsequent marriage to that citizen.

Attach a copy of the fianc¨¦(e) petition approval notice, a copy of your marriage certificate and your Form 1-94.

Yes, they need proof you got married, so you'll need a certified copy from the courthouse.

Fianc¨¦(e)s.

If you are a K-1 fianc¨¦(e) or K-2 dependent who had a medical examination within the past year as required for the nonimmigrant fianc¨¦(e) visa, you only need to submit a vaccination supplement, not the entire medical report. You may include the vaccination supplement with your adjustment of status application.

Individuals not required to have a medical examination.

If you have your vaccination book from China. Find a civil surgeon. He/She can translate this into a vaccination supplement form. They will then place this form in a sealed envelope which you will send to USCIS. It might take you some looking to find a civil surgeon who will not try to charge you an arm or leg for the translation or try to make you think Lin needs another exam. He is not required to have an exam. If he did not receive the proper vaccines in China, he may need to have these done.

Hey Guys: Thanks for the info. I never heard of the civil surgeon thing or the I-693. Can you point me to your reference source so I can look closely to see if there is anything else I am missing. I don't want to make any mistakes.

Many people simply give up and go with the full exam, rather than find one who will give you only the vaccination supplement. Ours cost only $10 for the supplement at the first surgeon we tried (in Chinatown).

The surgeon will have the I-693 form on hand.

I don't remember the form numbers - I think I-131 is for Advanced Parole - if he may want to leave the country before the green card is approved, you may want to apply for this.

I'll mention the EAD form also, if he wants to work.

Yes - send in a copy of the Marriage License.

Send in copies for now, bring originals and copies with you to the interview. The copies will make sure they don't keep any originals.

Toni, take a look at Eric's Famous AOS Filing List, this should help. You might want to use the I-864EZ, which does not require an employer letter, but I would send the 3 years tax returns.

Personally I suggest getting tax transcripts because you don't need the W-2's when you provide them.

Here's the vaccination requirements Technical Instructions for Civil Surgeons. Check with your county health department to see if they can help with the Vaccination Supplement for the USCIS, ours does this and the cost was $10 plus any immunizations that needed to be updated.

I called USCIS today. I have been getting the run around with the medical and did not want to wait any longer as the I-94 is about to expire. Even with a copy of the USCIS's website saying K-1s are exempt from the previous tests. They told me you do not need to send the I-693 and supplemental with the I-485, but they may request it for the interview.

I called USCIS today. I have been getting the run around with the medical and did not want to wait any longer as the I-94 is about to expire. Even with a copy of the USCIS's website saying K-1s are exempt from the previous tests. They told me you do not need to send the I-693 and supplemental with the I-485, but they may request it for the interview.

While the USCIS says it's not required, too many people have received RFE's for the I-693 vaccination supplement since Chicago took over the initial processing.

There isn't a big problem with the I-94 expiring on a K-1, just get it all together before you ship it out the door, it can save you a month or so in additional processing time just by not having the RFE.

crap, I sent it in. Can I send the I-693 in as soon as I get it?

We went to the doctor yesterday and it was quite confusing. We asked for just the vaccination suppliment. The office manager looked at our booklet that comes from GZ from the medical exam and also the shots he got and said he needed to do the blood work over because GZ did not do one of the tests.. they said we did not need to do the TB test because we had the chest X-ray .. they charged us 255.00 for office visit, paperwork and bloodwork. Probably could have found cheaper somewhere but I didn't have time to play around looking for best price options. I got into a arguement with the doctor because he wanted to do a TB test and charge me another 120.00 but I wouldn't let him. It says right on the form if you have a chest x-ray you do not need the TB test.

We went to the doctor yesterday and it was quite confusing. We asked for just the vaccination suppliment. The office manager looked at our booklet that comes from GZ from the medical exam and also the shots he got and said he needed to do the blood work over because GZ did not do one of the tests.. they said we did not need to do the TB test because we had the chest X-ray .. they charged us 255.00 for office visit, paperwork and bloodwork. Probably could have found cheaper somewhere but I didn't have time to play around looking for best price options. I got into a arguement with the doctor because he wanted to do a TB test and charge me another 120.00 but I wouldn't let him. It says right on the form if you have a chest x-ray you do not need the TB test.

Yep, sounds like the wonderful government appointed civil surgeons. They seem to see this as a way to gouge their patient legally.

The first ones I checked with were listed on my insurance. They said, "We can only do the full exam, no exceptions." So imagine my surprise when I found one who did the I-693 supplement at no charge!!! Of course he got the name wrong the first time and had to redo it, but I didn't complain.

Yep, sounds like the wonderful government appointed civil surgeons. They seem to see this as a way to gouge their patient legally.

The first ones I checked with were listed on my insurance. They said, "We can only do the full exam, no exceptions." So imagine my surprise when I found one who did the I-693 supplement at no charge!!! Of course he got the name wrong the first time and had to redo it, but I didn't complain.

Spend some time on this site and use the search feature when you have questions. You spent way too much and went to a doctor that just did not treat you right. After researching on this site and getting some private emails and even eventually talking on the phone with some we ended up at a good civil surgeon that treated us right. I called so many off the list I had and it was unbelievable what some said they "HAD" to do and then what they would charge to do it. Makes you want to scream.