After interview reflections

I just thought I would post real fast some things that might be useful to others.

First, the interview questions (this differs a little from my previous post for I have more info now):

How did you meet your fiancee?

Why was he in China then?

What does he do now?

Do you have an I-134? (there was no problem with a cosponsor)

Why didn't you get married in China?

There was no request for pictures. (But in no way do I suggest going to the interview without pictures)

Before the interview it came to my attention that there might be a problem with the unmarried certificate my fiance had. It was a statement (notarized and translated) from the marriage registration bureau in her locality saying she was not married in that locality, but they could not guarantee she was not married anywhere else. ---- This was sufficient and never questioned.

Remember when filing the 129f a passport stamp showing you were in China (or a country where you SO was) is imperative. Pictures will not trump this "primary evidence" of proof that the couple has met within two years prior to filing the 129f.

I just thought I would post real fast some things that might be useful to others.

First, the interview questions (this differs a little from my previous post for I have more info now):

How did you meet your fiancee?

Why was he in China then?

What does he do now?

Do you have an I-134? (there was no problem with a cosponsor)

Why didn't you get married in China?

There was no request for pictures. (But in no way do I suggest going to the interview without pictures)

Before the interview it came to my attention that there might be a problem with the unmarried certificate my fiance had. It was a statement (notarized and translated) from the marriage registration bureau in her locality saying she was not married in that locality, but they could not guarantee she was not married anywhere else. ---- This was sufficient and never questioned.

Remember when filing the 129f a passport stamp showing you were in China (or a country where you SO was) is imperative. Pictures will not trump this "primary evidence" of proof that the couple has met within two years prior to filing the 129f.

Thanks for the update - it looks like it went pretty smooth for her! And again, good luck!!

Thank you.

As a side note, this is now the second time I have seen the question asked of a K1 "why you did not marry in China?"

Kinda makes ya wonder if that's the new "Question of the Month"?

Yea, I caught that too...

I remember JimGlot talking about a question of the day at the consulate.. blue slips for financials throughout they day...

It seems that maybe some new training or turnover has occur at the consulate. It's feedback like this that shows us that 'somethings' different... The question could be just to gauge a response. Maybe the new K1 question for now.

Thank you.

As a side note, this is now the second time I have seen the question asked of a K1 "why you did not marry in China?"

I remember JimGlot talking about a question of the day at the consulate.. blue slips for financials throughout they day...

It seems that maybe some new training or turnover has occur at the consulate. It's feedback like this that shows us that 'somethings' different... The question could be just to gauge a response. Maybe the new K1 question for now.

It's probably not surprising a given VO will have a set of questions they like to use, that of course can change as VO's change. A common thread might be questions to discern a understanding of the process. Ying was asked why I did not file I-129F earlier than I did. (We had a long run-up to the I-129F) She knew the correct answer - my divorce was not final, so I could not file I-129F

Thank you.

My first thought is you are correct about them asking to see what kind of response they get. They ask this inferring to some they should have gotten married on their first trip. We know this is not always the best way to start a relationship. I am guessing, they are looking to see if you wanted to just get married to anyone or really want to build a long term relationship. It would be possible to easily get tripped on on this kind of questioning if you were not serious about your SO. Though I would think some could get tripped up just because of nerves.

Question of the Day...

Question of the month...

Question of the year...

Question of the Century...

All of these are available to the VO, and the right to screw with your life has been given to that person behind the glass.

I was told that the VO can use any/all/none of the questions during the interview. They have broad discressionary powers. Manyun's VO had information before him that was flagged sometime during the previous months. Our results were predetermined. He only asked for passports and Pictures (what the hell, since he already knew). He wrote the blue slip without asking another question.

This question may have been asked because I have spent a substantial period of time in China. I lived there twice for six months totalling a year. (VO apparently had my passport pages and other stuff I submitted with the 129f in front of her)

Under those circumstances a VO might reasonably infer that it may have been more practicable for us to just get married in China because the opportunity was there.

Edited by sanshanghai (see edit history)