Engagement ring receipt for evidence

I know that it is not necessary that I provide my engagement ring receipt with my evidence for the I-129F but I would like to provide it anyway. But I have a few questions. Should I provide the original receipt or a copy of this receipt. Also, since we are going to purchase the ring in Beijing, is it important to have the receipt translated? If so, does the translation need to be notorized?

Though I am certainly no expert on this topic, I am here so I will give you my 2 yuans worth.

If you decide to use the receipt provide a photo copy of it. The consulate and USCIS regularly tells people to only provide photocopies and never provide originals of any document unless it is specifically requested by the agency. You may not get the original back if you submit it.

In order to avoid any delays or confusion I would go ahead and provide a certified translation for the receipt.

Below are part of the instructions from page 1 the I-129F instruction page.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/for...iles/I-129F.pdf

SECTION 2:

D: Translations. Any foreign language document must beaccompanied by a full English translation that thetranslator has certified as complete and correct, and bythe translator's certification that he or she is competentto translate the foreign language into English.

E: Copies. If these instructions state a copy of adocument may be filed with this petition, you maysubmit a copy rather than an original. If you choose tosend the original, U.S. Citizenship and ImmigrationServices (USCIS) may keep that original for ourrecords. If USCIS requires the original, we willrequest it.

Though I am certainly no expert on this topic, I am here so I will give you my 2 yuans worth.

If you decide to use the receipt provide a photo copy of it. The consulate and USCIS regularly tells people to only provide photocopies and never provide originals of any document unless it is specifically requested by the agency. You may not get the original back if you submit it.

In order to avoid any delays or confusion I would go ahead and provide a certified translation for the receipt.

Below are part of the instructions from page 1 the I-129F instruction page.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/for...iles/I-129F.pdf

SECTION 2:

D: Translations. Any foreign language document must beaccompanied by a full English translation that thetranslator has certified as complete and correct, and bythe translator's certification that he or she is competentto translate the foreign language into English.

E: Copies. If these instructions state a copy of adocument may be filed with this petition, you maysubmit a copy rather than an original. If you choose tosend the original, U.S. Citizenship and ImmigrationServices (USCIS) may keep that original for ourrecords. If USCIS requires the original, we willrequest it.

Thank you for your replies and provided information. Yes, I thought that I should not provide the original but I was not sure. Now, I know for certain. Thanks again.

I usually write English translation near Chinese characters.

It's a waste of resources if you get it notarized. This is not a "must" or "required" document, but if you like, present it.

I think this visa processing is really driving people crazy.

Has anyone saved used condoms for evidence of a bona fide relationship??? :lol: :rolleyes:

A copy of the receipt would be acceptable but I wouldn't go through the trouble or expense of having it translated and notarized. It has been my understanding that the "foreign language documents" refered to are items such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc. and not items such as hotel receipts, purchases, tickets, etc. We didn't provide translations for any of the latter mentioned items.

It's a waste of resources if you get it notarized. This is not a "must" or "required" document, but if you like, present it.

Has anyone saved used condoms for evidence of a bona fide relationship??? :lol: :rolleyes:

Please do not give them any ideas !!!!! :o

Yes this process does drive people crazy....They want to think of everything that covers all areas so I think the used condoms along with the DNA evidence and the notorized translation is an excellent idea :o Good post Eunice :D

Yes this process does drive people crazy....They want to think of everything that covers all areas so I think the used condoms along with the DNA evidence and the notorized translation is an excellent idea :rolleyes:

New item, and solid evidence :lol:

The Request For Evidence I received in February stated that they only consider at the USCIS 129f stage three kinds of evidence:

primary evidence- copies of passport exit/entry stamps to prove you were in china (or military orders if applicable)

seconday evidence- intineraries and boarding passes ( this evidence is only used to reinforce the primary evidence)

tertiary evidence- atm transactions, credit card statements.etc... all from within China.

I was actually shocked by that (I don't see how that actually proves I met my fiancee) but it is the information I was given. So the answer is... go ahead and send a copy, it won't hurt. You will not get the original back if you send it.

Note: I was asked for my original birth certificate in the RFE, I only sent a copy and I only sent a copy because the USCIS lost my first petition with my original birth certificate.

I am not an expert, I just want to pass on the information I have received thus far directly from USCIS .

A copy of the receipt would be acceptable but I wouldn't go through the trouble or expense of having it translated and notarized. It has been my understanding that the "foreign language documents" refered to are items such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc. and not items such as hotel receipts, purchases, tickets, etc. We didn't provide translations for any of the latter mentioned items.

This whole notarized vs certified thing usually spins my head...

but I think you notarize a statement; certify a copy... so your examples would take a certified copy if anything at all...

Then why does china provide notarial translations? It is a notarized statement that the copy is certifiably correct (god help us all)... :blink:

The Request For Evidence I received in February stated that they only consider at the USCIS 129f stage three kinds of evidence:

primary evidence- copies of passport exit/entry stamps to prove you were in china (or military orders if applicable)

seconday evidence- intineraries and boarding passes ( this evidence is only used to reinforce the primary evidence)

tertiary evidence- atm transactions, credit card statements.etc... all from within China.

Excellent post and info. :blink:

I will second David and Sanshanghai comments. I don't know why you would get anything notarized, excluding the required Chinese notarial office stuff. We never provided tertiary evidence - none !!! We had scanned images of my visas and entry/exit stamps and boarding passes. A few scanned images of snail mail and emails and scanned email/phone logs. We had the originals for interview, but no interest.

The focus of evidence we provided with applications was to prove genuine relationship. She wore the engagement ring to the interview

Edited by ed and ying (see edit history)