Upcoming AOS Interview

Gang,

Quick question for our upcoming interview. While in China, we only got one official birth certificate for my wife. But, I guess we need at least a few of them for this entire process. Her Birth Cert was included in the packet of docs that we handed over to the Immigration Officer at LAX. We DID make photocopies of it... will they do? Or, do we need my father-in-law to try and get another one and send it to us?

Wondering about others' experineces, advice, input...

Thanks

Gang,

Quick question for our upcoming interview. While in China, we only got one official birth certificate for my wife. But, I guess we need at least a few of them for this entire process. Her Birth Cert was included in the packet of docs  that we handed over to the Immigration Officer at LAX. We DID make photocopies of it... will they do? Or, do we need my father-in-law to try and get another one and send it to us?

Wondering about others' experineces, advice, input...

Thanks

240394[/snapback]

Same thing here - I had made the photocopies, but they did not want one (no original).

I don't think you will need one anymore, although if you can, it's a good idea to bring along some spares.

I was advised early on to make (get) several copies (certified and translated copies) of everything - I think I was told at least 3. I know it isn't cheap - but you will most likely need additional copies for other filings you will have to do. So YES get some more copies done.

Scott

For the AOS process you will more than likely make it through without them asking to see an original.

There are other things in the US where an original birth record is requested, such as getting an SSN, but a copy might work. It doesn't hurt to have one locked away in your safety box for all those unknown cases you might run into in the future.

We will be mailing out our son's AOS packet today and tomorrow I intend to take all of our original documents and records to the bank and only keep a few of the more important ones as copies around the house.

When you need identification, they will normally accept n from column A and/or x from Column B. Chinese ID and passport suffice for starters - then you get a SS card, state ID, etc.

Jiaying didn't bring her birth certificate, because she said it was simply transcribed from the Chinese ID card, so she didn't think it was important.

Indeed, the birth certificate, and all immigration documentation show the same (incorrect, but official) birthdate. It seems that whoever made the Chinese ID put the wrong date on it, and it couldn't be corrected.

I even got yelled out for "forgetting" this official birthday - we celebrated on the other date.

Anyway, like the others are saying, get the birth certificate if you can reasonably do so, but it's no more important for our Chinese SO's than it is for us (When was the last time you actually needed a birth certificate for something?) - the Chinese ID and passport should be plenty.

When you need identification, they will normally accept n from column A and/or x from Column B. Chinese ID and passport suffice for starters - then you get a SS card, state ID, etc.

Jiaying didn't bring her birth certificate, because she said it was simply transcribed from the Chinese ID card, so she didn't think it was important.

Indeed, the birth certificate, and all immigration documentation show the same (incorrect, but official) birthdate. It seems that whoever made the Chinese ID put the wrong date on it, and it couldn't be corrected.

I even got yelled out for "forgetting" this official birthday - we celebrated on the other date.

Anyway, like the others are saying, get the birth certificate if you can reasonably do so, but it's no more important for our Chinese SO's than it is for us (When was the last time you actually needed a birth certificate for something?) - the Chinese ID and passport should be plenty.

240439[/snapback]

Randy: Amy also has 2 birthdays. The actual one and the one that China says she was born on. From what she said, it would be easier to move a mountain than to get the Chinese govt to correct her birth certificate!! :D B)

I think we did use 2 original certified translated copies of her documents (there were 3).

On our interview she did ask to see the translated birth certificate. Once she looked at it she didn't copy it nor did she ask for a copy. Your other half would have already given a copy at the interview in GUZ. So according to most members here they weren't asked but in our case we were. It's still better to be safe than sorry latter.

For those who have had the interview, did they ask for her Birth Cert? And if you didn't have it, what happened?

We just had our interview yesterday and they didn't ask to see any doc's I had already submitted so I think your chances of it being requested now are low.

Good luck!