SO wants to be a registered nurse

Bill,  Are you sure "nursing" was about being a nurse or having children?  :toot:

Sorry, had to ask.  :toot:

239643[/snapback]

She wants it all. I really cannot explain it to her. To become a RN, it will be like I woke up and had a kid in college all of a sudden. I don't see how she can do this and have kids at the same time. She was specific on Registered Nurse instead of Nurse.

This will be an interesting conversation when we actually have it. I will find an expert to speak to her.

I will be the only one needing a nurse---i can't afford a baby and school.

239649[/snapback]

Hey Bill!

It is achievable.

Just be by her side on her dreams.

If she is as ambitious as you say she is,

I know Jie is.

Hey, coming up soon!

Wish we were going to be in GUZ at the same time.

That would be cool.

You are on the right track.

Me? I am thinking ahead also. :toot:

239693[/snapback]

Yuan Fen,

I would be kind of cool if we were going at the same time. I will support her on this if she is committed to it. She also supplements her family now so I worry about how we live, send her to school, and help family.

I one of those organized people who likes to plan. I will get over this and stop worrying in a couple of days. All of this will get worked out when she is here and understands all of our options. This could really help our family if she does this. I hate debt though.

I leave for China on September 12 so I have been really busy.  Even though we have communicated for 1.5 years, it is only today that I realized that she is set on becoming a registered nurse.  I am excited that she has such lofty goals and she is aware that English is her first obstacle. 

Does anyone know what schooling and a timeframe this will take?  She has a similar position in China but I would bet that it does not translate for a job here.  I don't think she is thinking of a acupuncture clinic.  I know this will take significant resources to pull off but I will find a way.  Anyone know of someone that can explain to me what will be required for her to accomplish this?

239611[/snapback]

My daughter is studing to be a RN. 2 years of college and then nursing school for 2 years is my understanding. Since you are in Marrietta, I think you will have Kennesaw University there and my son graduated from Southern Poly Tech there. I beleive there is one more school there also.

Did you mention before that she has college?, If so, you will be surprised what will transfer. But yes, English will be her biggest obstacle.

It is nice to have such a good goals... not enough nurses, If she works hard, she will do well.

239764[/snapback]

New Day,

I think she has college. It was some kind of weird school name. I hope that it will transfer here--or some of it at least. We will know soon enough!

Try your local Technical School.  They don't require as many electives and your wife probably doesn't require a BS or MS to take the state exam.  If, a big if, she takes the exam and passes it she is all done, right?

239824[/snapback]

I have a cousin who came to US a year and half ago. She was a nurse in China and after she came to the States, she attended some kind of private training school in NY, took the exam and passed. She would hold an English book up-side-down when she just arrived. She said that the text is easy being mutiple-choice type of questions.

Edit to add: she has found her first job working for a nursing home. Now she is nervous about her poor oral English.

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)

This is pulled from the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston Q and A page .http://www.son.utmb.edu/student_services/ss_FAQs.asp

A friend of mine works in addmissions there. She said it varies by state.

Can I transfer from UTMB's School of Nursing if I have a degree from another country?

In order to be considered an applicant for the School of Nursing, if you have credits from outside the USA, you must submit your transcripts to a foreign translation evaluation company, such as SpanTran, for a course-by-course evaluation. Both your original transcript and the foreign translation evaluation may then be submitted to the Preadmission Advisor for evaluation. You may fax these documents to 409-772-0395.

Do I have to take the Test of English at a Foreign Language (TOEFL) ?

If you were born in a country outside the USA, you must take the TOEFL. You must score at least 550 to be considered for entry into the School of Nursing. If you have earned a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree from an accredited US university, the TOEFL requirement will be waived.

As aye,

Jim

Missouri State Univeristy in Springfield Mo has several sister schools in china the and they have a nursing program here, you might see if her school has a sister college or univeristy in USA. most are allowing or will allow transfer of credits.

missouri also one of the few states that will have you send in her/his transcripts to a private firm and see if they are quailifed for teaching too that cost about 200 to 250 dollars to get her transcripts cerified.

Springfield has both a 2 year and 4 year program to on nursing

Robert

I leave for China on September 12 so I have been really busy.  Even though we have communicated for 1.5 years, it is only today that I realized that she is set on becoming a registered nurse.  I am excited that she has such lofty goals and she is aware that English is her first obstacle. 

Does anyone know what schooling and a timeframe this will take?  She has a similar position in China but I would bet that it does not translate for a job here.  I don't think she is thinking of a acupuncture clinic.  I know this will take significant resources to pull off but I will find a way.  Anyone know of someone that can explain to me what will be required for her to accomplish this?

239611[/snapback]

I don't know what kind of programs they have in Georgia but I bet they have some of the same as they do in Michigan.

In Michigan they have a fast track program through the state that will get the student a Certified Nursing certificate in 6 months, it would require more training to become a RN but it is the first step and it would get her working sooner making 10-20 an hour.

Certified nurses are what doctors most often hire to work in there offices because an RN demands too much money for an office.

The whole time she could be working on her english untill she felt comfortable enough to move into an RN program.

In most cases her knowlege and job skills can be transfered, the problem is being able to pass the state testing requirements.

I have a friend in Michigan that married a Russian lady and she was an anastezeologist (I can't spell it but she knocks people out for surgery) anyway she was able to have all her credentials translated to english and certified and take the state tests required for her liscense.

It took her two years because they kept getting the run around from the state for the first year then it took another year to pass the test because of her english skills.

IF she is already a licensed "Registered Nurse" in China then she can go thru CGFNS testing. IF she passes (you have something like up to 2 years to retake tests and pass, if failed, they will suggest what college courses to take to get up to speed, they also have workbooks on all the subjects she will be tested on that you can order for her to study from), simply take that to most state licensing agencies to be able to take their board tests. Once you pass their board tests...that's it. She's an RN.

Good Luck <_<

IF she is already a licensed "Registered Nurse" in China then she can go thru CGFNS testing. IF she passes (you have something like up to 2 years to retake tests and pass, if failed, they will suggest what college courses to take to get up to speed, they also have workbooks on all the subjects she will be tested on that you can order for her to study from), simply take that to most state licensing agencies to be able to take their board tests. Once you pass their board tests...that's it. She's an RN.

Good Luck :huh:

This is great information. I think she is licensed but I will check!

Thank you! <_<

Also, take a look at http://www.allnursingschools.com/find/resu...=Find+a+School;

If you have a good handle on her educational/practical background, maybe one of the schools listed can help you fill in any gaps. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the directory links you to the schools' web pages, I don't know how far you are from Kennesaw State University, but here's its link: http://www.kennesaw.edu/chhs/ I linked this particular one because it appears that the university has a special program for nurses who already have associate degrees or diplomas (high school?).

Good luck.

Edited by frank1538 (see edit history)

Missouri State Univeristy in Springfield Mo has several sister schools in china the and they have a nursing program here, you might see if her school has a sister college or univeristy in USA. most are allowing or will allow transfer of credits.

missouri also one of the few states that will have you send in her/his transcripts to a private firm and see if they are quailifed for teaching too that cost about 200 to 250 dollars to get her transcripts cerified.

Springfield has both a 2 year and 4 year program to on nursing

Robert

Bill,

Take a look into some of this. My wife is taking an MBA from the local Univ of TX at Arlington right down the street from her house in Beijing, and so she did not have to take the TOEFL and she will get a UTA diploma that does not mention China. In this case they fly the Texas profs over to teach the classes.

I found supporting her in this has really made her happy. She is a very focused person who likes hard challanges. Hope yours is the same and I wish you guys the best.