Just got to the US

Relax and appreciate the love and the differences between the 2 of you. It won't be easy, but don't over react to anything, just take a deep breath and learn to laugh at yourself instead of the other. It can be a very beautiful thing, just look at Dennis' life now. Nothings perfect, but hell, look at him go. It is beautiful now. don't let it go, just remember why you are together, because you love each other. Think of the other before you think of yourself, if both of you do that, you are well on your way to a great life together.... that's it... lessons over. :)

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)
Get married.

Go to Social Security Office and apply for her SSN in her married name, if she chooses to adopt your last name as yours.

Relax a month or so and enjoy life together. Then start thinking about submitting the Adjustment of Status (AOS) paperwork.

236217[/snapback]

Don ... we are in a bit of a mess changing her family name to mine. As K1 supposedly she is not entitled to a SSAN after she is married because she is now in AOS limbo. We applied for SSAN just before we were married, in her maiden name.

Now we seem to be stuck with her maiden name on virtually everything. I asked about this at our last InfoPass appointment. They said to wait until we are called for green card interview. I mentioned that many now are approved without interview ... the IO comeback was "well sometime you'll get interviewed for something".

sigh ...

Get married.

Go to Social Security Office and apply for her SSN in her married name, if she chooses to adopt your last name as yours.

Relax a month or so and enjoy life together. Then start thinking about submitting the Adjustment of Status (AOS) paperwork.

236217[/snapback]

Don ... we are in a bit of a mess changing her family name to mine. As K1 supposedly she is not entitled to a SSAN after she is married because she is now in AOS limbo. We applied for SSAN just before we were married, in her maiden name.

Now we seem to be stuck with her maiden name on virtually everything. I asked about this at our last InfoPass appointment. They said to wait until we are called for green card interview. I mentioned that many now are approved without interview ... the IO comeback was "well sometime you'll get interviewed for something".

sigh ...

236306[/snapback]

Good info to know.. every experience is worth hearing.

I would amend Don's comment to be:

"Get married and put name change on the marriage certificate"...

So two questions Jim:

1) Did she do a name change on marriage certificate?

2) At what point after arrival, in days, did you get to the SS office ?

Sometimes if it is too close to the I-94 expiration, even someone without a name change has problems getting the SSN.

Get married.

236217[/snapback]

sigh ...

236306[/snapback]

In California it's probably best to wait on the name change because they have some screwed up laws that don't take into account the AOS filing process and I don't recall of anyone being able to beat that game.

When you are not married apply for a K1 card in her maiden name. Then after you get married go back to the SS office with a marriage cert. copy and have the card issued in the married name. For now, since you are in the US and have 90 days to get married, start making the arrangements. Once you are married file the AOS immediately along with the EAD application if she will work.

Hey, we just got to the US, my fiance on a K-1, and i am overwhelmed and confused.  :blink:  We are getting married this week...what do we do next? Can we apply for social security number now? what should be my first step?

thank you.....

236191[/snapback]

Apply now for her SS card in her unmarried name. They will not issue it in a nonlegal name. Then once you receive it, apply for a name change and bring a copy of your marriage certificate.

When my wife got here we got married about 10 days later. about a week after that we went to the same place we got a marriage license and aquired a certified copy of the marriage licence. We took that, her passport with I-94 and visa inside and a piece of mail delivered here with her name on it and took it all down to the SSA office. We filled out the application in her married name and waited for our number to be called. The lady at the window looked over all the papers and application then looked at something in her computer then gave us a piece of paper saying her SSN should arrive in about a week. We got it 4 days later.

ahh! i am confused about the SS#. my fiance and i just got legally married. he wont have a name change since my husband is the one immigrating. can i apply for the SS# now? or did i screw up by getting married first and now i can't get an SS#??

thank you all.....

237505[/snapback]

Ok, in that case your Husband needs to get his SSN and you need to do a legal name change is you are taking his last name.

You will each need to complete the SS-5 form, him for a new number and you for a name change since you are a USC who has just gotten married. You will want to do his paperwork FIRST and then yours, some of the SSA offices are rather stupid in thinking that once a K-1 visa holder is married the visa is no longer any good. :D

Here is a link about getting the SSN for a K-1 visa holder: SSA Policies on K-1 SSN make sure you take his passport and Notary Birth record with you.

Take a look at this for your name change. What if my name changed?

Also, don't forget your drivers license, bank account and other things. On the Bank account you might want to wait for his SSN to arrive if you intend to have a joint account.

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)