Things you do in China that you cannot do in US

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes perfect sense, I am glad I asked. Have not ever heard her say it before (or anything even like that), but now I know just incase it should come up. Thanks.

234586[/snapback]

That may have something to go with the provence she is from and the dialect they use, but here in Beijing it is used so often that when I first heard it I was shocked and thought I entered the twilight zone and ended up in a 1930's Chinese Alabama.

Guest pushbrk
Makes perfect sense, I am glad I asked. Have not ever heard her say it before (or anything even like that), but now I know just incase it should come up. Thanks.

234586[/snapback]

That may have something to go with the provence she is from and the dialect they use, but here in Beijing it is used so often that when I first heard it I was shocked and thought I entered the twilight zone and ended up in a 1930's Chinese Alabama.

234588[/snapback]

My wife doesn't use it much but she has a sister in-law from Beijing who speaks beautifully and very fast. She'll rip it off three or four times like a stutter. When my wife does say it, it is usually just twice. My wife grew up in Guangzhou and Nanning but her parents are from the north. (Laizhou)

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)

I have never laughed so hard reading this post in my life. My wife uses the word constantly and I have told her not to say that word in the USA but it is used with such frequency that she has no understanding of me telling her. I have asked her the meaning of the word and she would just shrug it off and say "what word?" I would repeat it with my natural southern accent and she would have no clue what I was saying,,,,,,,,LOL!!!!!!

This will be absolutely amazing. I just hope I can talk my way out of it at the right time when she uses the word at the wrong time.

I have never laughed so hard reading this post in my life. My wife uses the word constantly and I have told her not to say that word in the USA but it is used with such frequency that she has no understanding of me telling her. I have asked her the meaning of the word and she would just shrug it off and say "what word?" I would repeat it with my natural southern accent and she would have no clue what I was saying,,,,,,,,LOL!!!!!!

This will be absolutely amazing. I just hope I can talk my way out of it at the right time when she uses the word at the wrong time.

234766[/snapback]

When my wife and many of the people in Shenzhen pronounce it, there's no way it wouldn't be taken as the N word here.

On my first trip to shenzhen, I couldn't believe it, LOL, I heard it everywhere.

In pinyin it is "nei ge", which in the dictionary I have translates to "that one".

When I first asked my wife the meaning, she couldn't understand my pronunciation.

We're going to have to talk about it before she gets here.

My wife says it occassionally but pronounces it "nay guh" I take it as the equivilant of saying "um um"

234851[/snapback]

No such luck here on the pronunciation. I could NOT believe my ears when I first heard the word... first I looked for a black man then I thought they were talking about me. :romeojuliet:

Thanks to CFL I now know.

Regardless, Dallas is 65% minority (isn't that now the Marjority??) so we'll have a talk.

234766[/snapback]

When my wife and many of the people in Shenzhen pronounce it, there's no way it wouldn't be taken as the N word here.

On my first trip to shenzhen, I couldn't believe it, LOL, I heard it everywhere.

In pinyin it is "nei ge", which in the dictionary I have translates to "that one".

When I first asked my wife the meaning, she couldn't understand my pronunciation.

We're going to have to talk about it before she gets here.

234837[/snapback]

In the north east they say nei gerr .. everything is errrrrrr in my SO's city. I asked him what nei gerr meant but he didn't understand my nei gerr either. Still not sure what it means .. but I know when I am in China .. I hear this word at least 100 times a day...

Yall are trippin, trippin, trippin!

I would love to hear some of these talks with SO. :Dah:

Oh, dear, well um, we have to talk about............um :roller:

What about words that sound like something in Spanish or any other language?

SO talks a lot about Buddha, but says, "pu-ta".

:P

Freedom of speech, SO can talk however she wants. ;)

One other thing is the swastika.  In China you will see it in ancient artifacts and lots of other decrative things, inlcuding clothing.  It just means the good luck never ends.  But to a jew, this may be interpreted as offensive, even though it existed at least 1700 years before WWII

235570[/snapback]

Yes and as I understand it, it was a Nordic good luck symbol as well.

I am not certain but I don't think it at used anymore for that purpose and I beleave it was mostly used in Tibetan culture, at least that is where the nazis were doing their archiolagical digs and found so many artifacts with the swastika on them.

But if I see it on a flag or tattooed on a skinhead I know it isn't for good luck.

Things must be kept in context to be understood.

But it is a good point regardless.

Edited by papa bear (see edit history)
Regardless, Dallas is 65% minority (isn't that now the Marjority??) so we'll have a talk.

234926[/snapback]

In the U.S. a minority means something other than white, and knowing where Dallas is my guess would be that a large portion of that 65% would be Mexican.

That does not detract from your need to address the issue with your SO, even if there is only one person of african decent I am sure you wouldn't want to offend them.

I tend to think all of us are more congenial outside of Twisted Candle, or is my thinking twisted. :ph34r: