Interview advice

I have read many of the prior threads concerning interview questions. My question is how important is it that the SO know some English for the interview. I have read many different thoughts on whether this is important or not. As you can guess, the SO really struggles with English.

Guest ShaQuaNew
I have read many of the prior threads concerning interview questions.  My question is how important is it that the SO know some English for the interview.  I have read many different thoughts on whether this is important or not.  As you can guess, the SO really struggles with English.

232278[/snapback]

While speaking English can be very helpful, is it not required to ensure passing the interview. What's more important is that your relationship may be called into question if you cannot speak Chinese. Quite often, though not always, when a VO sees that a couple do not share a common language, a video depicting the couple communicating is needed.

Guest pushbrk
I have read many of the prior threads concerning interview questions.  My question is how important is it that the SO know some English for the interview.  I have read many different thoughts on whether this is important or not.  As you can guess, the SO really struggles with English.

232278[/snapback]

You are probably going to read pretty much the same opinions again. The bottom line IMO, is that since your SO will be learning English to enjoy life in the USA, it's a good idea to get moving on it as soon as possible. You learning some Chinese is good too.

My wife greet the VO and answer a dozen or more questions in English. On my second trip we made a communication video, just in case it was needed.

The real issue is convincing the VO your relationship is bona fide. Proving you can communicate effectively is a big part of that.

When I first meet my SO, she spoke NOT A WORD of english; I set about learning everything I could about interview, collected questions (grouped by most frequent--see Interview FAQ), etc...

I suspected she would not be ready by the interview to use English and that was the case... S we followed some guidelines, where she would use english at certain points in the interview (say "hello"; answer "I speak some english but I'll understand you better in mandarin", repeat any simple questions in both languages, etc.).

Here's some past threads:

Question about speaking english at interview

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13850

Wife doesnt speak english;

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13309

Husband gets nervous when speaking english

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13248

My wife went into the interview knowing enough English to say, "No English. Chinese please". She says the pictures were very important in establishing the relationship.

232283[/snapback]

OK, Thanks guys.

She can speak enough to explain "that she feels more comfortable answering in Chinese." I am learning Chinese but I don't see how that plays into the equation. I am not allowed to be there for the interview--correct.

It is a little late for me to do a video. From my reading it looks as if much of it will depend on her staying cool and the interviewer.

My wife went into the interview knowing enough English to say, "No English. Chinese please". She says the pictures were very important in establishing the relationship.

232283[/snapback]

OK, Thanks guys.

She can speak enough to explain "that she feels more comfortable answering in Chinese." I am learning Chinese but I don't see how that plays into the equation. I am not allowed to be there for the interview--correct.

It is a little late for me to do a video. From my reading it looks as if much of it will depend on her staying cool and the interviewer.

232289[/snapback]

A statement from her that you are learning chinese is no help; I would not play that card since the VO could respond with "Give me a video" to prove it.

They usually do not accept a video at the interview, but request it as part of a blue slip (denial--request for more info).

You are not allowed in the face-to-face interview.

BTW: The other threads I posted mention the video as VHS format, they now accept it on CD as well.

There's lots of tips and advice in the FAQs and from members..

Her presentation/attitude/confidence is the key (my SO did not get asked for any pictures; so I guess despite hardly any english, they did not even need to see pictures; neither asked her for any financials).

The fact is you never really know. Some people who speak little or no English pass while others who speak enough english to function get blue slipped. In our case my wife went to GZ with 4 other women from Nanning for her interview. Of the 5 she spoke English the best yet she was the only one to get a blue slip for it. David's strategy is a good one but be prepared to submit a video if asked for it.

The fact is you never really know.  Some people who speak little or no English pass while others who speak enough english to function get blue slipped.  In our case my wife went to GZ with 4 other women from Nanning for her interview.  Of the 5 she spoke English the best yet she was the only one to get a blue slip for it.  David's strategy is a good one but be prepared to submit a video if asked for it.

232297[/snapback]

Warped,

If you get blue-slipped, how long is it before you can get a chance for another interview?

[if you get blue-slipped, how long is it before you can get a chance for another interview?

232304[/snapback]

If you are blue slipped, the accompanying slips spell out what to provide. This is called "overcome evidence" [to overcome the denial].

The materials are gather and dropped off at the consulate. ergo, no interview occurs. The beneficiary usually gets notified with a day or two of the outcome, unless it triggers something like administrative review.

The results of this is either the visa issuance or another blue slip... if another blue slip, same process; gather and submit.

may like to read this:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18173

[if you get blue-slipped, how long is it before you can get a chance for another interview?

232304[/snapback]

If you are blue slipped, the accompanying slips spell out what to provide. This is called "overcome evidence" [to overcome the denial].

The materials are gather and dropped off at the consulate. ergo, no interview occurs. The beneficiary usually gets notified with a day or two of the outcome, unless it triggers something like administrative review.

The results of this is either the visa issuance or another blue slip... if another blue slip, same process; gather and submit.

may like to read this:

232314[/snapback]

If the couple had already made a video/CD of them talking together, and had this with them at the interview, then they got the blue slip for needing proof that they can communicate, could they(SO) turn in the CD/video right then (because they have it with them), and not have to make an appointment to come back in 2 days to drop it off? I know (assume) that the VO would not look at the CD/tape right then, but could they not leave it at the overcome/submission window to save the trip back? Could this be where window #30 comes into play as long as they do not leave the 5th floor?

232304[/snapback]

may like to read this:

232314[/snapback]

If the couple had already made a video/CD of them talking together, and had this with them at the interview, then they got the blue slip for needing proof that they can communicate, could they(SO) turn in the CD/video right then (because they have it with them), and not have to make an appointment to come back in 2 days to drop it off? I know (assume) that the VO would not look at the CD/tape right then, but could they not leave it at the overcome/submission window to save the trip back? Could this be where window #30 comes into play as long as they do not leave the 5th floor?

232468[/snapback]

The window #30 was first brought to our attention as able to do as you suggest; but GUZ corrected this idea... that it is only for Q&A.

I'm fairly certain GUZ will not accept a CD to view on the spot; A VO stated this once at ACH to a member and one congressman responsed to another member and stated the video is not required for an interview and would not be accepted for review.

BUT: One member reported (for the first and only time almost a year ago) that they had a CD of pictures and the VO took it to look at... to me, this is a quickie view of some pictures and not to imply that they would take the time to do a review of a video. I assume they have a standard way of sitting down and watching these.. maybe over cheetos as a nod to our plight. :ph34r:

You could:

- Make a video of the two of you communicating; face and hands always visible. Communication can be talking, pocket translator in use, etc.

- Bring to the interview

- If requested with a blue slip, review the blue slip to see what all is requested (often more than one thing is requested and even if you have the video ready the other items might not be).

- If everything is on hand, why not offer it on the spot.

- If declined, ask where window #30 is.

- Offer the items to window #30. If unaccepted, ask if there is a location in the consulate it is accepted.

- If unaccepted that day, make the appointment and submit...

This comes with a very big IF EVERYTHING IS ON HAND...

I would really recommend that the beneficiary talk to window #30 and ask any questions.. but get back in touch with the USC... carefully read over all the slip info... ask quesions on CFL as needed... then submit.