Wife doesnt speak english; cr1 interview nxt month

Her english is very basic as she just started studying it. I never really bothered to speak to her in english because it was just easier to communicate in mandarin. I've basically been thinking eh just let her learn it when she gets to the states.

I'm a chinese-american that speaks mandarin fluently. I have a chinese last name and (of course) a chinese face. We've been married for 17 months and lived together for 9 of those months. Does she have to bring "evidence that we can communicate" or is that mainly a K1 fiance thing?

Also Im thinking since her English is so limited that people would have to speak very slowly and she still wouldnt necessarily understand much, should she just go in and not even try her english out? just stick to mandarin to make things simpler on herself and the VO?

whaddya guys think?

thanks for any input or opinions!

I don't think there is a problem. People have had translators at the interviews. Speaking English is not a requirement for the interview. And as you speak the language fluently I do not believe any red flags would be thrown. Your wife can simple tell them that the two of you always communicate in Chinese.

As you are Chinese-American I think you have an excellent chance of getting through without any problems. If you want additional insurance then have a VHS tape of the two of you conversing in Chinese.

Edited by bobsmith (see edit history)

Here's a recent post on same:

Husband gets nervous when speaking english

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13248

I would stick to mandarin for the interview.. I would see if she can slip in the fact that you guys communicate in chinese.

At the start of my SOs interview, she was asked what languages she speaks (ie: this seemed to be the basis for the VO to see what language she wanted the interview in)...

I would find a question like this one to respond as: "I speak chinese. My fiancee is fluent in chinese and this is how we talk to each other"...

Relax,

have the interview in Mandarin, that would keep it simple and understandable for her, David has good point to make sure the VO understands you guys converse in Mandarin. Good luck at the interview.

Her english is very basic as she just started studying it. I never really bothered to speak to her in english because it was just easier to communicate in mandarin. I've basically been thinking eh just let her learn it when she gets to the states.

I'm a chinese-american that speaks mandarin fluently. I have a chinese last name and (of course) a chinese face. We've been married for 17 months and lived together for 9 of those months. Does she have to bring "evidence that we can communicate" or is that mainly a K1 fiance thing?

Also Im thinking since her English is so limited that people would have to speak very slowly and she still wouldnt necessarily understand much, should she just go in and not even try her english out? just stick to mandarin to make things simpler on herself and the VO?

whaddya guys think?

thanks for any input or opinions!

160916[/snapback]

No problem. You speak Chinese and can communicate with her. There are Mandarin speaking VO's. No worry. Just make sure your SO prepare the answers to the various questions. My laopo mentioned that there were several interviews (in adjacent booths) conducted in Mandarin.

One in particular made me laugh. One lady said her SO doesn't know any Chinese but they communicate by emails. She uses translator software and likewise her SO, and when they meet, they speak in language of love and mutual respect and sign language. She challenged the VO what's the big deal? And reminded the VO that two people who speak the same language doesn't necessarily mean they can communicate with each other. She got the red paper. However, red paper doesn't automatically mean visa.

My tai tai got the red paper after only three questions, but the VO chatted with her for another 15 minutes. My laopo is good at talking. I have noticed that she can always talk to taxi drivers and shop owners and always make them laugh.

Edited by bubbafred10 (see edit history)

Funny, my wife is the same way. Taxi drivers can barely concentrate on their driving (VERY necessary in China, if you want to get there alive) because they are laughing so much from my wife's monologues.

My Mandarin is not that great - albeit a lot better now after spending a month together - but even I sometimes get one of her jokes. She is really funny.

Trouble is, I am a bit concerned the GZ interviewer will inquire about our communication and ask for some proof of my Chinese skills, since Zhenshu couldn't ask for a cigarette in English. She and I do fine and we discuss virtually anything we need to in Chinese, but we need a dictionary or on-line translator for technical issues.

I like the "language of love" thing. Having a language in common is NOT assurance of good communication . . . truer words were never spoken.

Being CR-1 or K-3 instead of K-1 will make no difference in whether or not your SO will be issued a blue slip for not being able to speak english. It is a judgement call by the VO who is questioning the legitimacy of your relationship because of not being able to communicate in a common language. Since you speak Chinese it may be a very good idea for you to make a video in VHS format of you speaking it.