What to bring to USA

We are doing the K-1 thing.

Just had a great "Joyous Celebration" with my SO's family. We will return to the US for our formal wedding to make it all legal.

My SO just asked me: is there anything else she needs for entry into the US?

Me: :rolleyes:

I figured, she needs the tickets, her passport, and the visa. She'll need the certified paperwork for Permanent Resident follow-on stuff, so of course we'll bring that stuff, too. But as far as I understand it, there's nothing else she needs specifically for the trip.

Still, I've been wrong/stupid on things before this, so I wanted to check with my buds here: Is there anything else she needs to enter the US besides her Visa packet from GUZ, her passport, and her plane ticket?

Just had a great "Joyous Celebration" with my SO's family.  We will return to the US for our formal wedding to make it all legal. 

Me:  :rolleyes:

I figured, she needs the tickets, her passport, and the visa.  She'll need the certified paperwork for Permanent Resident follow-on stuff, so of course we'll bring that stuff, too.  But as far as I understand it, there's nothing else she needs specifically for the trip.

Still, I've been wrong/stupid on things before this, so I wanted to check with my buds here: Is there anything else she needs to enter the US besides her Visa packet from GUZ, her passport, and her plane ticket?

229917[/snapback]

ALL paperwork used to obtain visa.She's going to need her birth certificate and divorce document (if any) along with translated versions for AOS later.Books,medicines,DVD's,CD's,etc.,and other "pieces of home" that will prevent her feeling "isolated".By all means,don't forget sealed packet from consulate to present at POE.

A few things that can be extremely helpful, maybe not now but later.

High School diploma booklet

Any College Transcripts and diploma

Any School Transcript and diploma

Some of our SO's have a good deal of education and bringing as much documentation with you as possible can only help in building a life in the US.

While some professions, such as nursing, are not accepted for a direct transfer of credits the high school diploma should be able to avoid the need to take a GED after improving her English to the point she can understand the test.

Just had a great "Joyous Celebration" with my SO's family.  We will return to the US for our formal wedding to make it all legal. 

Me:  :blink:

I figured, she needs the tickets, her passport, and the visa.  She'll need the certified paperwork for Permanent Resident follow-on stuff, so of course we'll bring that stuff, too.  But as far as I understand it, there's nothing else she needs specifically for the trip.

229917[/snapback]

Dude,

Don't forget to bring:

1) proof of vaccination i.e. the Yellow Book

(see http://tinyurl.com/es456)

Useful for the AOS and medical coverage

2) notarized and translated university transcript and diploma/degrees

3) several passport size photos (it's cheaper to get it from China)

Best wishes :D

Another item, get your wife to buy lots of clothing because of the price difference and her comfort level with shopping in China. It will be a very hard sell in many cases to get this done. Try explaining that a very good blouse at the mall can cost $75 US or 600RMB.

Remind her she will save money by buying more in China now.

Good luck, as it's a concept that is difficult to sell, my wife didn't believe me until she saw the prices here and our recent trip saw her fill 2 large suitcases with new clothing. <_<

To adjust status here after marriage she will only need to bring her passport with at least 6 months on it and the I-94 stapled inside. It is a good idea to bring any and all translated notatorial documents with you that you think you might want later on. Stock up on Chinese medicine and bring lots of clothes. If she is like my wife she won't like the way American clothes look or fit.

DON'T FORGET TO BRING YOUR FIANCEE  :angry:

230129[/snapback]

I had a cat who is one year old now. maybe i should find her a fiancee in the US and file a 129f? :)It's gonna break my heart to leave her in china. nobody's gonna look after her anymore.

who wants a beautiful and extremely smart while cat?

I will ditto all the items already listed by other posters, and I'll second the idea of buying basic clothing in China. Most items are much cheaper than in the US. I don't know your SO's level of English skill, but here's an item she should purchase in quantity for the transition: feminine sanitary products. It took me and my wife a while to figure out which of the dozens of choices were correct for her. While my Chinese is (barely) adequate, my knowledge of those things is very limited, so I really couldn't advise very well. Fortunately, she is a packrat, and had brought about a year's supply with her. They're great to use as padding in the suitcases, too. :huh:

Here's another item for the checklist: make sure she has all the telephone numbers and email addresses of her friends and family in China so she can stay in touch with them. Things like Yahoo messenger with voice make daily conversations incredibly easy and cheap/free, but only if you have the email addresses.

And another: Photographs you've taken in China. Make sure you have them, too.

Don't feel too restricted in what you send/bring. You'll have your suitcases, and shipping from China to the US is relatively painless and inexpensive.

About the suitcases: Just be sure that your luggage doesn't exceed the airline maximum weight per piece. Weight limits vary at different airlines, so check online or telephone the airline you plan to use. We lucked out as Cathay Pacific (at that time) had higher weight limits than most other airlines - and it was my favorite airline to fly trans-Pacific. It's a little bit more expensive than others, but worth it in terms of comfort and service.

Good luck to you both!!