Wife and Daughter Got Blue Slips

Very discouraging since our plans are to marry during the 1st visit. I'm not sure if I can afford to go back.  I think I better.

217641[/snapback]

Handle with care. You'll make it. Not as dreaded as it sounded.
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pushbrk
Very discouraging since our plans are to marry during the 1st visit. I'm not sure if I can afford to go back.  I think I better.

217641[/snapback]

Handle with care. You'll make it. Not as dreaded as it sounded.

217652[/snapback]

Lot's of people who marry on the first visit get visas. This isn't a denial. It's a two-step approval. They want more proof. You give it to them and come home. There are rare exceptions.

I'm very sorry to hear about this.

Frank brought up a "Catch-22" of this process: If you continue to know about your ex- then that's a Red Flag (for some); If you don't know about your ex- then that's a Red Flag (for others). WTF!? are we suppose to do?

Good luck to you, get the documents they want to her ASAP.

Frank brought up a "Catch-22" of this process:  If you continue to know about your ex- then that's a Red Flag (for some); If you don't know about your ex- then that's a Red Flag (for others).  WTF!? are we suppose to do?

217762[/snapback]

Do what I do--

Prove that your ex knows you very well when that child support payment is a single day late.

217767[/snapback]

No child support here (not to her) our son is 26 years old. But we have contact with his activities from time to time.

Guest pushbrk

Frank brought up a "Catch-22" of this process:  If you continue to know about your ex- then that's a Red Flag (for some); If you don't know about your ex- then that's a Red Flag (for others).  WTF!? are we suppose to do?

217762[/snapback]

Do what I do--

Prove that your ex knows you very well when that child support payment is a single day late.

217767[/snapback]

What you do is be prepared to tell the truth. This includes the beneficiary having all the information that is available.

I continue to see CFL people focusing on single issues. However, we know that blue slips ask for multiple things. It is counterproductive to analyse the "reason" for the blue slip by focusing on "one" item requested. There are "reasons" plural and/or multiple for further investigation. The purpose of requesting each piece of additional evidence is to rule out a potential concern.

The VO's are "profiling" (I don't mean racially.) When the case fits a profile it is treated a certain way until they are satisfied it's only a "profile" not actual visa fraud. There are multiple profiles. They intentionally and wisely refrain from spelling out the details of those profile factors.

We do the best we can to surmise what proof and approach will avoid the impression of fitting a profile that requires a second look. Sometimes we fail in that quest. Rarely do we fail the second look. Extremel rarely do we fail the third look.

I can advise you on our overcome experience. Our denial had 2 pages of missing or incomplete evidence. This case, although disappointing, has almost complete potential for success!!! Take it one point at a time and by all means, be present at the overcome interview for support to your SO.

PM me if interested...

esun41

(Eric)

When the case fits a profile it is treated a certain way until they are satisfied it's only a "profile" not actual visa fraud.  There are multiple profiles.  They intentionally and wisely refrain from spelling out the details of those profile factors.

We do the best we can to surmise what proof and approach will avoid the impression of fitting a profile that requires a second look.  Sometimes we fail in that quest.  Rarely do we fail the second look.  Extremel rarely do we fail the third look.

217778[/snapback]

well put Mike...

We have long known (even been told from VOs themselves) that any case which appears to need additional review (and this could mean a single document, even one that is in the SOs possession at the interview) , usually results in a request to see this information submitted as overcome--so they can take the 24 hours they are given for review.

Usually, the overcome rate is extremely high; third time is quite often the charm.. but the key is to give the substantive proof towards what they are asking.

Let's not get into questioning why they don't take it at the interview.. typical they don't ; once in a while a VO might.. but it's the exception and not the norm [based on my observation for the last two years]...

When the case fits a profile it is treated a certain way until they are satisfied it's only a "profile" not actual visa fraud.  There are multiple profiles.  They intentionally and wisely refrain from spelling out the details of those profile factors.

We do the best we can to surmise what proof and approach will avoid the impression of fitting a profile that requires a second look.  Sometimes we fail in that quest.  Rarely do we fail the second look.  Extremel rarely do we fail the third look.

217778[/snapback]

well put Mike...

We have long known (even been told from VOs themselves) that any case which appears to need additional review (and this could mean a single document, even one that is in the SOs possession at the interview) , usually results in a request to see this information submitted as overcome--so they can take the 24 hours they are given for review.

Usually, the overcome rate is extremely high; third time is quite often the charm.. but the key is to give the substantive proof towards what they are asking.

Let's not get into questioning why they don't take it at the interview.. typical they don't ; once in a while a VO might.. but it's the exception and not the norm [based on my observation for the last two years]...

217840[/snapback]

I've often wondered if some of the blue slip issues are related to workload. Now while I wouldn't want to suggest that the VO's are in any way working with some type of quota for number, they are restrained by time to conduct all the interviews assigned to them.

I also feel that the blue slip process is somewhat biased when you consider that the form is in English and given to the SO, who in most cases has an extremely limited understanding of the language along with an extremely strong intimidation factor, whether real or imagined.

If I had it all to do over again, I would coach my wife to understand that if she received a blue slip that she should not leave the window until EVERY ITEM marked was explained to her in as much detail as needed so that she fully and completely understood what was being requested.

To add to that, after she received an explanation on each specific item she would need to inform the VO that they had not requested that information and insist that they look at the evidence.

I do realize that this is not something that would be easy for any of our SO's to do, mainly because of their nature, it would probably make the VO put up or shut up and issue the visa approval.

Hopefully my wife will call from LAX to tell me about her flight and I'll stop posting for a while. Just wondering if Mick has any Cheeto's left.... :blink:

217778[/snapback]

well put Mike...

217840[/snapback]

I've often wondered if some of the blue slip issues are related to workload. Now while I wouldn't want to suggest that the VO's are in any way working with some type of quota for number, they are restrained by time to conduct all the interviews assigned to them.

I also feel that the blue slip process is somewhat biased when you consider that the form is in English and given to the SO, who in most cases has an extremely limited understanding of the language along with an extremely strong intimidation factor, whether real or imagined.

If I had it all to do over again, I would coach my wife to understand that if she received a blue slip that she should not leave the window until EVERY ITEM marked was explained to her in as much detail as needed so that she fully and completely understood what was being requested.

To add to that, after she received an explanation on each specific item she would need to inform the VO that they had not requested that information and insist that they look at the evidence.

I do realize that this is not something that would be easy for any of our SO's to do, mainly because of their nature, it would probably make the VO put up or shut up and issue the visa approval.

Hopefully my wife will call from LAX to tell me about her flight and I'll stop posting for a while. Just wondering if Mick has any Cheeto's left.... :blink:

217843[/snapback]

Excelent points. I often wondered how things really evolve at the interview. I imagined the soft spoken, timid SO getting that blue slip, saying thank you and leaving. It was my intention to coach my SO to do what you just said. If she gets a blue slip, ask the VO what exactly do they want, and then tell him, oh, I'v got it right here!!

Do you really think this would work? I wonder if anybody ever tried this approach.

yes... good points Lee... possibly easier ways to confirm denial information [prior to leaving consulate grounds] now that we know about window #30 ...

This process definitely has a multiple proned approach that should be applied:

(1) Documentation / Case info should be as thorough, honest and complete as needed--without giving too much unasked for

(2) proper preparation of the SO on how to handle the interview, and understanding clearly a gameplan for overcome (don't get too caught up in labeling it as a denial, I prefer to say it is simply a one- or two-step approval process).

--a )Asking the VO about the denial is certainly a good idea, but I will say that most of the time the VO will give a canned response that the slips will detail the issues...

--B ) At which point, her next step should be window #30 for clarification. If she has the items, ask if she can submit the items immediately, but I think the consulate suggest we cannot do that (but no one has tried it yet).

--c ) But one should be careful not to fall into 'haste makes waste' by trying to submit to fast. Careful understanding of the slips is key to understanding what to submit.

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
--a )Asking the VO about the denial is certainly a good idea, but I will say that most of the time the VO will give a canned response that the slips will detail the issues...

217860[/snapback]

The really sad part about this response is the sheer absurdity of their response, the majority of the SO are not fluent in English, so reading and understanding these items is quite foreign to them. If this happened in the US by any federal agency it would fall so very close to what the Federal government has determined as racial discrimination. About LEP.gov

But I keep forgetting the VO's who make that statement are independent of the DOS policy manual. It's like having a Kindergarten teacher who hate that kids ask so many questions. :blink:

I talked to my wife again this morning and she told me the following things about her ans her daughter's interview. Her interview was the last one of the day for this VO. As soon as he saw her passport, he asked a translator to come to help him. She told me the only questions he asked her was about her trips abroad.

After looking at my emails, he gave her the blue slip. So here we are. I have one question about what they are asking for. They want my ex-wife's address and her social security number. I haven't had any contact with her since 1995 other than mailing her copies of the divorce. And I sent those to her last known address. I don't know what her social security number is, and don't know of a way to find out. Any advice here?

I talked to my wife again this morning and she told me the following things about her ans her daughter's interview. Her interview was the last one of the day for this VO. As soon as he saw her passport, he asked a translator to come to help him. She told me the only questions he asked her was about her trips abroad.

After looking at my emails, he gave her the blue slip. So here we are. I have one question about what they are asking for. They want my ex-wife's address and her social security number. I haven't had any contact with her since 1995 other than mailing her copies of the divorce. And I sent those to her last known address. I don't know what her social security number is, and don't know of a way to find out. Any advice here?

217918[/snapback]

I am in the Private Investigation business and would be more then happy to help you get her social security #, and any other information you might need.

Just pm me

I also found out this morning that my wife didn't put my ex-wife's information on the Giv-24 under item 6. She said she didn't think it was necessary. :P  :(  So that is why they are asking about information on my ex-wife...I think.

217921[/snapback]

I could see where not listing your ex might suggest that your wife was unaware of the precious marriage, but the omission seems minor compared to the information requested.