HELP PLEASE!!! Question about Diet...

Scott...what was interesting to me was the swollen eyes.?Of course, I am no doctor nor claim anything about that.?However, if I was a betting man, I would say that she is probably allergic to the cheese.?Cheese has high levels of histamine.?Many people have allergic reaction to histamine.?In addition, check some of the ingredients on the various labels.?If you see color dye added into the ingredients she can be allergic to that as well, ie; red or yellow dye.......?Also, if her eyes swell, please go to your local drug store and buy an over the counter antihistamine type product.?This will reduce the swelling.?Finally, you may have to take her to your family doctor to see exactly what is going on.?I hope this helps!!

209681[/snapback]

But what about the fact that no othr dairy product seems to affect her? She can drink gallons of milk.....

209725[/snapback]

Scott....There is no histamine used in milk. Milk is more of a lactose problem for people and thus have different results. Therefore, need a lactose in tolerance diet, which eliminates all diary. A histamine reaction is swelling of the eyes and of the throat area. James is correct above. Swelling of the throat is extremely dangerous for obvious reasons. Have her eat a very small piece of the cheese and see what happens. Does she show signs of any rashes or itchiness of the skin?

Edited by chef4u (see edit history)

Lactose Intolerance is the more common and well studied reaction to cow milk. Mine is an actual allergy which is less common and my allergist knew of no studies of it. Lactose free milk causes the same reaction from me.

Everyone has explained about food allergies. The Chinese system that calls food "hard" is Taoist Medicine which attempts correction of allergies with herbs to acheive a balance witch changes the immune reaction. This is not as effective as the western system of identify and avoid.

Many spices are seeds and a person can be allergic to any plant seed.

Seems like it is a good chance she is allergic to corn and peanuts (Both are very common in Asian diets) or lactose intolerance. My first thought is look for something different between Asian and American foods. The biggest difference which might make sense is our use of food perservatives. This would most likely be used in either the taco shells or the seasoning mix. So even if neither is old she might have a reaction. Try either different brands or look for an organic product.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

Did this happen just recently or has been like that ever since your SO arrived US? If it just started, it could be from the pollens.

The swelling happened to me a few times over a few years when I was in China, in colleague. It always happened during spring time, when the wind is relatively strong, and I was doing outdoor activities. I remember that once it happened on my way back from jogging, my whole face swelled so bad that I was horrified looking at myself in the mirror. It turned purple and shinigng like glass. :exclaim:

If you are certain that the problem come from food. Then seeing a doctor should be necessary. However, the doctor may also ask you to keep a food diary. Use a systematic way to find out the allergen. Start with plain simple diet, gradually add new variety, one at a time. (Like for babies, we are adviced to only add one new food each week. But this is too slow, and no need to be so cautious.) Sometimes it is the certain food combinition which causes the problem. For example, my husband can eat beef and potato, but he can not take beef and potato together (a most common combination) in the same meal.

Good luck!

Seems like it is a good chance she is allergic to corn and peanuts (Both are very common in Asian diets) or lactose intolerance. My first thought is look for something different between Asian and American foods. The biggest difference which might make sense is our use of food perservatives. This would most likely be used in either the taco shells or the seasoning mix. So even if neither is old she might have a reaction. Try either different brands or look for an organic product.

209836[/snapback]

I think so too. Some peoples do not digest corn well at all (I recall this from my days at Frito-Lay R&D.)