Rule of law in USA

From another thread about retiring, I saw something that has been on my mind.

It has been on my mind about how I will deal with my SO when she arrives when it comes to obeying laws and doing things a bit more honest. Not that my wife is dishonest, but there are Chinese ways of doing things that.....well could be a problem or an adjustment for them here in the USA.

Reporting Income certainly could be an issue.

Any thoughts?

Examples?

Edited by SheLikesME (see edit history)

Here are the quotes form the polls forum.

Whatever you do, don't spit on the ground!

Singapore is very strict with the laws.

There are so many nice places in the US to retire.  Many are also going to mexico, that's too hot for me.  I prefer the country to the city.

Lovely places to visit though, how about a vacation home?

207390[/snapback]

Exactly! Singapore is not a place that Chinese can relax and be Chinese. They have more rules than the U.S.A.

207465[/snapback]

I know many Chinese here. As is with human nature, people tend to live near people like themselves. So most of the Chinese are a tight group. It may not be a bad idea to get involved with the Chinese community. Your SO could make friends or network with the other Chinese. That isn't necessary though and in some cases may give you a whole other schedule.

The Chinese I know like it here very much. In fact one of the people I work with was not fond of going back to China to work there (even though on that salary they would be living la vida loca). For some language is an issue. The language issue also can determine the quality of job your SO can expect. Being a minority helps as far as jobs go. I'm not there yet myself but I keep these things in mind.

Then there is things like driving lessons, getting situated... Remember what it was like when you first went to China?

But they do adapt quickly. I would say surprisingly quick.

I know some people who have a small restaurant and they have to take all the orders and they deliver. Many people do not want to go out in a snow storm but they do. They also own a house, pay taxes, have children that go to school here. I help them out now and then.

Now another thing I keep in mind is that a teacher in China may smack a student for not paying attention, not hard but it is a smack. This day and age that is a no no here.

This is those one step at a time things and I think it will go smoothly. Smooth sailing!

When Jingwen first arrived, she did not know the difference between federal and local law enforcement. To her, the police were the all mighty US government, and her perception of the police was probably tainted by her experiences in China. As a result, she is very passive, docile and deferential when we've had to deal with police matters.

Criminal laws have never been a problem, but civil matters are another story. Littering and seat belts were two areas where Jingwen's ignorance of the law could have caused a fine, but explaining to her that it would cost her $300 - $1,000 was enough to end her Chinese ways.

At first, Jingwen was of the view that money could take care of anything. For example, when our step son failed his learners permit test for the first time, Jingwen simply said pay the official some money and get the permit. I had to explain to her that that's not the way it's done in the US. She understands now.

Commercial dealings have never been a problem, and she takes great comfort in the fact that just about any purchase can be returned if she is not satisfied - something almost unheard of in China. As a result, she is less likely to even consider other ways of dealing with vendors. I just wish she'd toss those two year old receipts. :V:

Jingwen's view of taxes and reporting income have also not been a problem. She understands about sales taxes now and is under the impression that all income is reported to the government. I don't see a need to tell her about the underground economy. ;)

My Chinese friends residing in US are almost all very careful about doing things the correct way. We feel perfectly happy that there are clear rules to follow.

I think for as lot of things in US, we are only told the rules, but not the logic behind the rules. So with many different circumstances, it is difficult to do it right sometimes. The tax form is a good examples. It is a stupid form in my opinion.

My Chinese friends residing in US are almost all very careful about doing things the correct way.  We feel perfectly happy that there are clear rules to follow.

I think for as lot of things in US, we are only told the rules, but not the logic behind the rules.  So with many different circumstances, it is difficult to do it right sometimes.  The tax form is a good examples.  It is a stupid form in my opinion.

207630[/snapback]

And very few would disagree with you, Joanne.

207638[/snapback]

I wonder (but don't what to know) how many MILLIONS of dollars have been put into the more common forms to make them simple and easy. :huh: