As promised a follow up post to our interview success detailing the process.

My wife arrived at the consulate at 7.30 carrying pounds of evidence that might be required at the interview, and at 7.45 the check in began. (The kitchen sink was not allowed in) She went through three different check points.

At 8.30 everyone was told to stand and face the consul and the oath was administered.

At 9.00 her name was called and she went to a window where a Chinese woman took her medical pkg and issued her a paper slip with an interview number.

At 10.30 her number was called and she went to window 20 where she was fingerprinted.

At 11.55 her number was called again, this time to window 23 where an American male VO conducted the interview (For the most part in English)

On approaching the VO my wife said "good morning sir" good morning he replied. She then asked him (smiling) "may I put this down here ?" (pounds of evidence minus kitchen sink) Sure he replied may I have your passport.

"Here it is also a letter from my husband" she said handing him her passport, a notarized declaration letter from me detailing our relationship, and a proof list detailing all the evidence she had brought such as a notarized copy of my passport x amount of emails and instant messages, x amount of pics, phone records, ticket stubs and so on.

The VO studied the letter and proof list, and then her passport. I see you were refused a US visa two months after your marriage he said.

My wife did not reply and so he looked up from his desk and was surprised to see her smiling. "Yes I applied for a visitors visa to spend Christmas 2004 with my husband but I was told I must wait for my CR-1" she replied. Thats OK said the VO when was your husband divorced? "He was separated in xxxxxx and divorced in yyyyyy" she replied. Divorced in xxxxx? he asked. No separated in xxxxxx and divorced in yyyyy she replied. (VO) What does he do? (wife) What? (VO in Mandarin) what is his work? (wife in English) "He works for--------" (VO) What is his monthly salary? (wife) "I do not know what it is monthly, but his salary is xxxxxx a year" (VO) may I see the copy of your husbands passport? (wife) "Sure here it is" She handed him the notarized copy of my passport and he studied the various visa entries and exits from China. He then studied his computer screen (I think he was looking at the numerous inquiries from my Senator and Congressmans office) After about 3 minutes he smiled and said OK you have your visa. :unsure:

The total interview time was about 5 minutes and the only evidence requested was the copy of my passport. However I believe that when the VO saw the proof list that my wife gave to him, her confidence and how well she was prepared, along with the many inquiries on record through DOS he needed no further convincing.

Again let me thank the CFL members for all their support and the wealth of valuable information that helped us prepare so well.

I leave for Shanghai at the end of the month and will bring my love home on April 11th <_<

Edited by goneflying2000 (see edit history)
Wow, great interview, she was smart to just hand him the letter ! Congratulations !

200547[/snapback]

Man, I'm so close to being where you are right now. I am very happy for you and I hope to join you in your happiness when my wife has her visa. Good luck on your lives together.

My SO also had her interview at window 23... a male VO. I didn't go with the kitchen sink approach... was afraid it would just confuse my SO. Being here really helped with all the English P4 paperwork, but when he saw she had my passport in hand, he asked to look at it (I had told her to hand it to him with their 2 passports but she didn't hand it to him but she had it there where he saw it and asked to look at it). I had folders with pictures (3 per 8.5x11 sheet), a folder with I-134 and taxes, a folder with proof of custody of daughter, a folder with sampling of emails throughout the period of our relationship.... maybe 25, a folder with a sampling of Yahoo chat sessions, a folder with just the key paperwork from P3 and a folder with a stripped down I-129F in case he wanted to see airline ticket copies from my previous visits. The whole pile was no more than 2" thick. After asking 3 easy questions, he asked to see photos, which was the top folder and she never had to go to any other folder... he said you pass. I think me being here for the interview and him seeing my passport and visa's really helped alot! I highly recommend coming here to be with your SO prior to the interview and during the interview.... it's a very stressful time for them and it's great to be here and help them through it.

Thanks for the update on your SO's interview!!

!!!!! Congratulations !!!!

Guest ShaQuaNew

Thanks for sharing. You endured a mad dash through the briar patch. I must say however that the US government needs to be fired from the business of torturing visa applicants and US citizens. Unfortunately, the majority of American public does not understand the difference between those that have applied for visas legally, and the illegal alien.

In response to your question regarding the declaration letter.

I addressed it to the consulate Attn VO. I explained how and when we met, some details of our travels and time with her relatives together on my various visits and also when and where we married along with details of our wedding reception that was arranged by her family. In addition I explained how we stayed in contact via email, instant messaging with web cams and phone calls. I also said how this separation was very painful as we were very much in love. I then had this letter notarized.

It seemed to have value as the VO read it in detail.

GODD LUCK to all who follow.

Edited by goneflying2000 (see edit history)