Should the "kitchen sink" be taken TO the interview with SO?

195091[/snapback]

The SO must bring the "kithchen sink"

collected over the course of your relationship

i.e. photos, calling card records, correspondence,

etc. to the interview.

195092[/snapback]

I guess I should rephrase my guestion.......Under the "kitchen sink"/Possible blue-slip resolving materials/documents;as in video,statements from relatives,etc..Just trying to compile a "full arsenal" for initial interview.

See the Interview FAQ and Interview Question FAQ, both I recently updated:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11293

---

You should consider two issues:

1) Content

--a. Interview

--b. Overcome

2) Organization

You should organize based on the two issues of interview and Overcome... What follows is from the FAQ:

KITCHEN SINK LIST:

This is a personal recommendation and more than the minimum required information to bring. Don’t confuse this recommend with guidelines stated by GUZ or other federal agencies. The VO is able to ask for anything. This list seeks to have it all available.

1. Chinese beneficiary

A. Proof for Interview appointment:

- Your P4 appointment letter (must have to gain entry to consulate).

- Passport (must have to gain entry to consulate)

- Your P4 appointment letter (they are not likely to let you in without this).

- Receipt for the paid immigration fee

- Copy of the Notice of Action (NOA2 you received)

- Original Medical forms and exam results in sealed envelope

- Medical x-ray

B. Dependents:

If there are dependent children immigrating to the US with the Chinese beneficiary:

- Passport (or can be on Chinese beneficiary)

- Birth certificate

- Medical exam

- Passport photos, at least four (4). Print name on back.

- Police certificate, if over 16 years old

- Proof of full custody

- Additional forms/documents as required

C. P3 paperwork:

Items sent back to GUZ:

- Copy of the DS-230 (K1 only part I)

- Copy of the OF-169 (Checklist from P-3)

- Copy of supplemental info sheet

Items collected:

- Current Passport of Chinese beneficiary

- Current birth certificate of Chinese beneficiary with Notarized English Translation; plus a copy

- Police Certificate(s) for Chinese beneficiary with Notarized English Translations; plus a copy

- Certified copy of Court or prison records for Chinese beneficiary (if applicable) with Notarized English Translations; plus a copy

- Certified copy of military records of Chinese beneficiary, if application / available; plus a copy

- Passport Photos of Chinese beneficiary. At least four (4). Print name on back.

- Martial certificate (single cert or marriage cert) of Chinese beneficiary with Notarized English Translation; plus a copy

- Divorce certificates (if any) of Chinese beneficiary with Notarized English Translation; plus a copy

D. P4 paperwork:

- P4 Appointment letter

- OF-171, Information Sheet

- Certification of Legal Capacity and Intent to Marry

- Original DS-156, Visa Application, in English and Chinese, fill out in duplicate but DO NOT SIGN

- Original DS-156K, Visa Application for dependents, in English and Chinese, fill out in duplicate but DO NOT SIGN

- Original DS-157, Supplement Visa Application, in English and Chinese, fill out in duplicate but DO NOT SIGN

- Original GIV-24, family composition sheet

- Original GNI-2, supplemental form for K1

E. Miscellaneous:

- Wear your engagement / wedding ring (if available)

2. U.S. Petitioner

A. Regarding self

- Copies of petitioner’s passport with visas indicating dates of visit(s), including at least one visit within the last 2 years. If able, certify this.

- Divorce certificates for petitioner (if any); plus a copy

- Letter of Intent to marry in English (notarized and updated by petitioner for interview); plus a copy

B. Financial documents:

a. Certified copies of the I-134 with supporting financial documents including

i. 3 years of tax records reflecting (Form 1040 and W2s – guideline is income 125% of the poverty level)

ii. letter from employer regarding current employment and wage/salary)

iii. if your income is less than 125% of poverty level, bring copies of bank statements/ stock/bonds, etc.

b. If using a joint sponsor, copies of the I-134 with the supporting financial documents.

C. Miscellaneous

- Video for communication if in doubt

3. Relationship proof:

a. Informal pictures of the two of you together from your visits; pictures with family members are better.

b. Copies of phone records between the two of you (if available)

c. Originals of letters w/postmarked envelopes (if available)

d. Copies of emails reflecting communication over a period of time. Review the content of the email.

e. Proof of joint ownership, bank accounts, etc.

4. Copy of Any other documents submitted

- I-129F application and all submitted paperwork

- I-130 application and all submitted paperwork as part of CR1 process

- Copies of documents notarized or certified; in case they’ll take the copy instead of original

5. Blank forms

- Some have been caught off guard at the medical exam with an expired or incorrectly filled out form and have to go chase one down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edited 6 July 2005)

Q.1.8 How should I prepare all the paperwork?

A.1.8.1

1. Because there is a glass separating the VO from the applicant with a trough to pass thru paperwork, similar to the teller windows at many U.S. banks. Something rigid like a 1" or larger ring binder will not pass thru.

2. There is only about 5 minutes allotted for each interview. It would take to much time for my SO to find and remove the specific document from the large binder.

A.1.8.2

We have decided to use 9 opaque plastic envelopes.

Each is color coded, labeled, and flexible enough to pass thru the window. Envelope contents:

#1 FORMS: All 797's (originals), Copy of original 129 package, all forms.

#2 SO's Doc?s Translated and notarized Chinese birth, marriage and police docs.

#3 My certified divorce papers from prior marriage.

#4 I-134, tax returns 2002-2004, letters from bank, bank statements 1/2004 to present, ING direct and Emigrant direct statements. Certified company ownership doc's, Certified company profit/loss statement, Certified statement of assets, Real estate purchase documents.

#5 Phone records, letters, Emails, Yahoo Chat, MSN Chat.

#6 Wedding pictures

#7 Pictures with family and friends

#8 All boarding passes and receipts from prior visits.

#9 Video tape of conversation between SO and myself

A.1.8.3

I made up the documentation folder for my sister-in-law?s interview using a see-through plastic, backpack-style holder which had 5 plastic letter folders inside which were labeled and easy to extract singly as required.

Contents:

(3) spiral bound, computer produced, photo albums with captions, one for each visit to China, pictures of "together" and family.

Green folder: I-134 with all supporting documents bound with acco-fastener at top.

....................Some additional financial docs: several paycheck stubs, utility bills, cable bills.

Blue folder: Affidavit of Communication (because she can't speak good English). Notarized

..................History of Relationship. Notarized

..................Certified copy of Petitioner's complete passport.

Red folder: Long distance phone bills/records.

.................Airplane boarding passes, ticket stubs from China trips.

.................Sample of e-mails from her.

.................Sample of e-mails from him.

.................Sample logs from MSN chats.

.................Sample e-card printouts.

.................Postcards/Letters sent to each other including the envelopes.

Yellow folder: Copy of original I-129 fiancée visa application, including original documents: birth certificates, divorce certificates, etc.

Pink folder: Copies of submitted P3 and P4 documents.

A.1.8.4

K1

Folder # 1 (Eligibility proof)

1) Beneficiary Passport pictures (name on back)

2) Beneficiary Passport (or keep safely on person)

3) Receipt for visa payment (if not put in medical envelope)

4) Receipt for medical exam payment (if not put in medical envelope)

5) Petitioner updated "Intent to Marry", notarized.

6) I-797 , Notice of Action (NOA2)

Folder # 2 (VO requests, proof of relationship)

1) Copy of US Petitioner?s passport (or notarized copy)

2) P4 appointment letter (have a copy; usually put in medical, but asked for sometimes)

3) Photos ( be prepared if asked for early or recent; have best prepared, particularly something with familiy).

4) Emails Phone records, letters, , etc (same comment)

Folder # 3 (proof of financial support)

1) Employment letter

2) I-134 , notarized

3) Tax returns or transcripts, and W2s

4) If you put Assets on I-134, bank letter and other supporting docs)

Folder # 4 (proof of communication and past trips)

1) Past boarding passes, itinerary

2) Anything from trip, other than photos

Folder # 5 (proof of filing P3 and P4)

1) Copies of P3 submitted back

2) Copies of P4 submitted back

Folder # 6 (proof of initial filing)

1) Copies of petition items filed to Visa Center

FOR K2:

Folder # 7 (dependent items)

1) Passport

2) Birth certificate

3) Passport Pictures (name on back)

4) Police Certificate, if over 16

5) Proof of full custody

6) Additional forms/documents as needed

A.1.8.5

We prepared a three folder approach:

(1) photos taped to sheet of paper with date above each picture. About 12 pictures, four from each of three trips.

(2) Financials all in one folder. If anything was asked, she was to give the entire folder so she did not pull out the wrong item. [i saw another member (whose interview is later) had a folder the same way but with tabs at the bottom to show name of financial. I would do it over like this. ]

(3) Communication. A few emails, all phone logs, one IM chatting in a day.

Then we had two extra envelopes with lots of extras for odd request or for overcome evidence.

Then we had two extra envelopes with lots of extras for odd request or for overcome evidence.

Ah yes,the extras.That's what I am refering to.We have about a 2 inch thick stack of IM copies,and will have a video.I guess we'll have the whole "fort" on hand ..Thankyou.

Ah yes,the extras.That's what I am refering to.We have about a 2 inch thick stack of IM copies,and will have a video.I guess we'll have  the whole "fort" on hand ..Thankyou.

195109[/snapback]

That 3 folder approach (with two extra envelopes) was my appraoch...

3 folders for interview; 2 extra for overcome.... since if you fall into overcome, you'll just dig out what you need...

The Kitchen sink list simply goes into one of these 5 folders/envelopes...

B. Financial documents:

a. Certified copies of the I-134

How is the I-134 certified?  Are we talking about notorized instead?

195114[/snapback]

I guess one could do it as a certified copy [of a signed notarzied one]... or just get a few notarized copies (which is what I did).

Maybe I should change the language of that line...

edited:

I just checked the 'denial slips', which words it as "original, signed, and notarized.. I'll change to match that.

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
B. Financial documents:

a. Certified copies of the I-134

How is the I-134 certified??Are we talking about notorized instead?

195114[/snapback]

I guess one could do it as a certified copy [of a signed notarzied one]... or just get a few notarized copies (which is what I did).

Maybe I should change the language of that line...

edited:

I just checked the 'denial slips', which words it as "original, signed, and notarized.. I'll change to match that.

195116[/snapback]

As always David, thanks much!

I know what you mean.. but I would not confuse organization with trying to pull one over their eyes...

We know for a fact that the VOs want information rather promptly, whether spoken or documented.

it shows that a person is truly prepared. And finally, I would say that CFL is probably preparing people better than 'professional' lawyers.

David, 1st of all I would cover my ass with a disclaimer if I were you. Make it clear that the "kitchen sink" is merly a recommended list of items you might be asked for. Some people get the blue slip even if they bring the sink and a toilet with them. others just smile at the VO and they got the visa. "Any given Sunday" or should I say in this case, "Any given day, other than Sunday", anything can happen. Or like Forest Gump said "IT HAPPENS".

I would rate your list of items. What items in your (our) opinion carry the most wheight? what are people most likely going to need on a scale from 1 to 10. My kitchen sink set me back $178 bucks. A real kitchen sink would have been cheaper to ship to my wife. The door is open to anything, like the little chuw wa wa dogs, birthday hats and a flameing hula hoop. (still not on your list yet.)

In the end fortunately, my wife was only asked for some photos.

GZ already tells everyone what they want you to bring.

What documents should I bring to the visa interview?

The applicant should bring the following original documents:

Forms in the appointment packet

Chinese passport

Two visa photos

Notarial birth certificate

Notarial marital status certificate. If divorced before, previous divorce certificates for each marriage are required. If any child from previous marriage will also apply for visa, a divorce decree showing the child's custody is needed

Notarial police certificates are required from each visa applicant aged 16 or over issued by his/her local municipal notary office where he/she has resided for at least six months since attaining the age of sixteen. Police certificates are also required from all other countries where the applicant has resided for at least one year.

Medical report

Affidavit of Support - I-864 and copies of the three most recent years' tax returns if not already submitted to NVC.

Relationship evidence including family photos, correspondence and household registration to prove the claimed relationship.

Translations: Police certificates from other countries not in English, or in the official language of the country must be accompanied by certified English translations. Translations must be certified by a competent translator and sworn to before a notary public.

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzhou/iv/gzfaqs.html

I highlighted the ones I think are most important.

Edited by Mengxin (see edit history)

do you mean, anytime a post is made referencing the FAQ, we should have a disclaimer?

or sections within the FAQ should remind one of the disclaimer ?

------

A person needs to read the FAQ.. not just one item but the whole thing..

It starts off with disclaimers and taken in its entirety (meaning not just one FAQ but multiple ones) should best prepare all the various scenarios.

Rating these items are done in other sections (ie: top 10 items requested).. ergo, read the whole thing...

---

GUZ does not tell you what to bring for overcome.. which the kitchen sink is intended to also do

edited:

I have that list in the FAQ already... but since yours is an IV list, a small difference of the I-864 is in yours...

So I'll make a list for CR1 based on your info/link... underlining those sections makes sense...

Second edit:

Based on Doug comments, I have just updated (and uploaded) the Interview FAQ with sections for K1&K3, and CR1 based on the GUZ website for what to bring...

Also, the kitchen sink list already had a disclaimer, but was re-worded a little.

THANKS DOUG

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
do you mean, anytime a post is made referencing the FAQ, we should have a disclaimer?

or sections within the FAQ should remind one of the disclaimer ?

------

A person needs to read the FAQ.. not just one item but the whole thing.. 

It starts off with disclaimers and taken in its entirety (meaning not just one FAQ but multiple ones) should best prepare all the various  scenarios.

Rating these items are done in other sections (ie: top 10 items requested).. ergo, read the whole thing...

---

GUZ does not tell you what to bring for overcome.. which the kitchen sink is intended to also do

edited:

I have that list in the FAQ already...  but since yours is an IV list, a small difference of the I-864 is in yours...

So I'll make a list for CR1 based on your info/link...  underlining those sections makes sense...

Second edit:

Based on Doug comments, I have just updated (and uploaded) the Interview FAQ with sections for K1&K3, and CR1 based on the GUZ website for what to bring...

Also, the kitchen sink list already had a disclaimer, but was re-worded a little.

THANKS DOUG

195188[/snapback]

I don't think anyone would get sued (well maybe). I would just make it clear to people that we're dealing with the goverment. They make the rules and can change them however they deem nessesary. Your doing a great job David. It's amazing your not burned out on all this stuff.