Next Travel Topic

It is my understanding that Visa and Mastercard are not as widely used in China as they are in other places, are American Express travelers checks accepted at the official currency exchange locations?

Also, in the past I seem to remember someone saying ATM's are available. I would assume these dispense RMB's, does anyone know if the exchange rate is calculated in China or the US. I think the better deal would be if it was done in China.

As long as I am picking brains here, after hotel expense is a budget of $100 per day plenty? Co-workers have said $20 to $30 per day is plenty for taxi's, food, etc.

And another thing, are there any Americans from this site currently living in Nanning?

Thanks in advance

Rak

Never had a problem using credit cards. Most large department stores took them and there was always a Bank of China nearby. They were even open on Saturday and Sunday. The International hotels had money exchanges where I could draw on my credit card.

Maybe Nanning is too far off the beaten path or my bank isn't compatable but I have had nothing but trouble with ATM machines in China. I always ended up going in and seeing the teller. Travelers checks are often redeemable at western style hotels but the exchange rate isn't as good. I always take enough cash to get me by until I get there then take my bank card to the bank of china.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I found that most places do NOT accept credit cards. Sure, if you're in a big store, you might have some luck. But, if your hitting the small shops, smaller towns, restaurants, etc. You need cash. ATMs are widely available.....You will get the best exchange rate available from the ATM with a major card, Visa and Mastercard. No way to say what it is from day to day cuz it changes everyday. Nevertheless, the best exchange rate available is via ATM

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Before go I always stuff my two front pockets with lots of American CASH when on a business trip! I always take a few thousand so I have enough for the entire trip, incase cards don't work. I exchange most on arival and do the front pockets thing. I just don't like getting stuck, and cash talks. Wallet in one front pocket and strait cash inside the Visa in the other. This way they cannot pick my pocket so easy in a subway or anything, not that I expect that.

I use the credit cards wherever possible because the exchange rate is better, as long as it is a cc that does not charge a fee. When I leave for home I just leave the excess cash with wife. I don't like travelers checks, cash talks. Probably your bigger than them anyway, so why the travelers checks? :ph34r:

Last trip was 100% time with her so I did not take so much cash, as we just stayed at her place. My wife gets on my case about carrying so much money and creedit cards. I followed her advice once and then I had to get cash at an ATM, so I went back to my old ways and told her this is the way it is. I don't live my life worrying about a thief I guess.

Edited by SheLikesME (see edit history)
Before go I always stuff my two front pockets with lots of American CASH when on a business trip!  I always take a few thousand so I have enough for the entire trip, incase cards don't work.  I exchange most on arival and do the front pockets thing.  I just don't like getting stuck, and cash talks.  Wallet in one front pocket and strait cash inside the Visa in the other.  This way they cannot pick my pocket so easy in a subway or anything, not that I expect that.

I use the credit cards wherever possible because the exchange rate is better, as long as it is a cc that does not charge a fee.  When I leave for home I just leave the excess cash with wife.  I don't like travelers checks, cash talks.  Probably your bigger than them anyway, so why the travelers checks? :D

Last trip was 100% time with her so I did not take so much cash, as we just stayed at her place.  My wife gets on my case about carrying so much money and creedit cards.  I followed her advice once and then I had to get cash at an ATM, so I went back to my old ways and told her this is the way it is.  I don't live my life worrying about a thief I guess.

195877[/snapback]

I guess we all know who to mug at the airport...

hehe. I'm glad this topic was posted, I was about to post the exact same thing. Do banks or credit card companies charge you any additional fees to do the exchange that comes with normal card use in China?

Also, 100 bucks a day?... not including hotel? Yeah, you will probably be living quite comfortably.

I have been to Nanning four times now. I have found few places that will take my credit card. I take American Express traveler's checks and take them to a certain branch bank that my SO knows and cash them in at a fair rate.

One time they limited my amout to $500; but then went to another branch and cashed in another $500...go figure...welcome to China.

I agree with taking plenty and splitting it up as you carry it. If you have to "blast yourself" out of a situation you certainly don't have many alternatives...money...in any country TALKS. Its easier to bring some travelers checks home than to be scrambling over there...especially in Nanning.

Good luck, and yes - I know an Amercan ex-pat working in Nanning who has been very helpful to me. PM me and I'll hook you up.

Phil

I've always carried cash to China in a money belt. Last trip the bank would not cash about 5 of the $100 bills as there was a wear mark on them where they were folded and rubbed inside the belt.

I tried to use my Mastercard at Wal-Mart in Shenzhen and their system would not accept it.......no problems at the big hotels though.

I have since learned that a debit card works well at the Bank of China. Go to the VISA or Mastercard websites and you can get a list of the bank locations in China that accept the cards.

I gave a PayPal debit card to my mother-in-law so that I can send her cash. One buck per transaction.....cheaper than Western Union.

Hello,

I could NOT get American Express travelers checks cashed at the Bank of China at all. They told me they didn't know that company. They did take my credit card and gave me cash from that.

On the next trip I will take more cash and no travelers checks. The cash will be mostly DEEP in my carry on luggage and enough to get me going in my wallet. I did the exchange at Thomas Cooke before leaving but I then discovered a better rate in the airport at Beijing. On the next trip we will be connecting direct to Shenyang and not staying in Beijing at all.

-James

If you pay in Cash, you get a better rate. It allows you to haggle, and to purchase from vendors who will not rip you off as much.

This said, almost every city (except for a few small rural ones) I have been in (And I have been to more than 500 cities in China), has at least one Zhong Guo Yin Hong which will case a traveler's check, at face value. In fact, sometimes, you can get a better rate than for cash, since they know it is authentic and not forged.

Primary Credit Card for the hotel bill.

$100 per day for general expenses.

Emergency cash in money belt to cover

entire cost of trip. (getting home is very important)

Backup credit card and AmExpress card in shoe under

gel pad insert.

Also don't forget two sets of photo copies of airtickets,

passport/visa, credit cards and hotel reservations. One copy

carried on your person and one in your bag(luggage tags inside and out)

along with a copy of your itinerary. :ph34r:

Edited by pkfops (see edit history)

gel pad insert.

along with a copy of your itinerary. :blink:

196203[/snapback]

Does everyone convert all of their USD to RMB at the airport/bank once you arrive or just convert a little here and there as needed?

gel pad insert.

along with a copy of your itinerary. :blink:

196203[/snapback]

Does everyone convert all of their USD to RMB at the airport/bank once you arrive or just convert a little here and there as needed?

196291[/snapback]

Dstar, Are you still going? B) When you first arrive, you'll have to hope that your woman will have money for cab fare. Otherwise, you'll have to find some place in the airport to exchange dollars to RMB. Depending on the city of your final destination, you'll need to get some RMB for your pocket. I'd suggest that you give some money to your SO to take care of financial transactions for you.