safety concerns , going to GZ

tall4anasian

I heard its pretty ghetto in GZ. Theres people trying to rob you and your papers after the interview. And wanting a ransome. Anyhow, im going to the interview with my wife. Thinking about wearing my backpack up front and having a small lock. You know lock the paperwork in the bag. And be ready to kick some a$$ if anyone messes with us. What are your experiences? We will stay at a hotel very close to the consulate. Your feedbacks are greatly appreciated. Thanks

I heard its pretty ghetto in GZ. Theres people trying to rob you and your papers after the interview. And wanting a ransome. Anyhow, im going to the interview with my wife. Thinking about wearing my backpack up front and having a small lock. You know lock the paperwork in the bag. And  be ready to kick some a$$ if anyone messes with us. What are your experiences? We will stay at a hotel very close to the consulate. Your feedbacks are greatly appreciated. Thanks

193660[/snapback]

I have heard of those kinds of things happening, but it seems that if you look like you are a easy target it will happen. My wife is very very careful and has her martial arts to protect us if something should arise..... I've never felt scared in the 8 trips to china, but you can never let your guard down.

We are also staying at the building of the consulate, and I hear that the operaters of the hotel are very nice, and I'm sure they will be watching our back!!!

When we were there I felt it was like any big city. I believe it is more a matter of being aware of ones surroundings, just like in the US. There were a few hanging around who I am sure were looking for an opportunity, but they usually are looking for an easy mark, so don't wear a sign saying I'm easy.

I think you will find Guangzhou to be a busy city with people busy with their every day life. Do be aware that pick pockets are known to hang around the bus and train stations. Kind of reminded me of downtown Chicago.

I travel internationally all the time to include in many countries where the culture is quite different than America.

I always try to keep a low profile and really avoid trouble. I don't mean I behave like a doormat but I'm less likely to push an argument, particularly with a national, when I'm in culturally foreign lands.

You don't even want to think about winding up in a police station or a jail. To state the obvious ... you don't have the same rights that you do in America.

In my experience China is quite safe but if you get in a situation that could become troublesome my advice is just walk away.

I heard its pretty ghetto in GZ. Theres people trying to rob you and your papers after the interview. And wanting a ransome. Anyhow, im going to the interview with my wife. Thinking about wearing my backpack up front and having a small lock. You know lock the paperwork in the bag. And  be ready to kick some a$$ if anyone messes with us. What are your experiences? We will stay at a hotel very close to the consulate. Your feedbacks are greatly appreciated. Thanks

193660[/snapback]

Tall4anasian:

I returned last week from Guangzhou. There are some areas of the city that are not well devoloped, but then again many cities in China are in the same position. As for the location and development around the Consulate offices it is quite mondern for China standards. I was more shocked to see 7-11's. I have not heard of any activities that you described nor have been in any situations. However, to be safe a backpack is a good suggestion. Also when you go you can wait on the fourth floor in the restaurant for your SO, as trhe interviews are conducted on the fifth floor and she will have pass the restaurant when exiting the interview.

Larry

I travel internationally all the time to include in many countries where the culture is quite different than America.

I always try to keep a low profile and really avoid trouble.  I don't mean I behave like a doormat but I'm less likely to push an argument, particularly with a national, when I'm in culturally foreign lands.

You don't even want to think about winding up in a police station or a jail.  To state the obvious ... you don't have the same rights that you do in America. 

In my experience China is quite safe but if you get in a situation that could become troublesome my advice is just walk away.

193705[/snapback]

Nice to see someone else has a lady from Chongqing. I was in Chongqing May 3 - May 21, August 1 - August 28 and February 10 - February 19th. I suppose if Tall4anasian were to visit Chongqing he would see the complete difference between the two cities.

Larry

I always try to keep a low profile and really avoid trouble.0„2 I don't mean I behave like a doormat but I'm less likely to push an argument, particularly with a national, when I'm in culturally foreign lands.

You don't even want to think about winding up in a police station or a jail.0„2 To state the obvious ... you don't have the same rights that you do in America.0„2

193705[/snapback]

Nice to see someone else has a lady from Chongqing. I was in Chongqing May 3 - May 21, August 1 - August 28 and February 10 - February 19th. I suppose if Tall4anasian were to visit Chongqing he would see the complete difference between the two cities.

Larry

193722[/snapback]

I met my SO in Nanning in September/October of 2005. First warning? Keep nothing in your wallet that you will never need during your daily routine. My hotel had a safe in the room. Second warning? Keep your wallet in your front pocket.

I carried a backpack for the first couple of days. I had an umbrella, raincoat, cough drops, etc. Nothing of value.

To cross very busy streets mid-block the Chinese have tunnels that go under the street. Talk about a mass of humanity. Bodies on all four sides.

Anyway, by the time I reached the other side, every zipper was opened. As I had nothing that was wanted, I lost nothing. I would think, however, that a lock would raise suspicion. The punks also carry razor knives. They can always slit the material below the zipper, and you would never know.

My advice??? Do not carry any more than can fit in your front pockets. Keep the baubles, bangles and beads in the hotel safe. Your SO already knows who and what you are. No need to show anything off in public.

I drew much attention during my first visit, and expect the same during my second. I am 6'-4" tall. Outstanding in my field??? You bet. But I'll tell you that I used my height to my advantage. I stared down the locals that oogled. If they were troublemakers, they knew that I would not go quietly.

193660[/snapback]

Don't take a bus. Taxi is ok.

Don't go to the area near the old train station.

Mind your wallet and passport when you do shopping in the overcrowded Beijing Lu.

Don't carry important papers with you if you walk around at night.

Get a started with this:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDis...NS_CLOTHING_TOC

http://www.rei.com/product/3838.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_TRAVEL_TOC

http://www.rei.com/product/3839.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_TRAVEL_TOC

Leave the wallet at home and just carry something thin for your cards.

Cash goes in you shirt pocket.

Follow the rules as in any big city and look and walk as if you know what you are doing.

Usually the punks target girls talking on cell phones.