Increasing GUZ staff?

This ia an idea I am throwing out for the CFL to consider. It will probably only help the newer members or future members, but it might be something CFL can put its muscle into and get results.

Recently I got word directly from the horse's mouth that GUZ has seen a grow in petitions sent it of 80% over last year with NO INCREASE IN STAFF.

The thought is to have CFL spearhead a push with Congress and at DOS to increase funding at GUZ and getting more staff in hopes of meeting the demand of more petitions and improving the processing time.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be glad to throw a spear or two, but I think It'd be like throwing a toothpick at a gorilla. :cheering:

Seriously though, it wouldn't hurt to write a group letter pointing out that it takes a year to go through the process in China where most other countries might take half that time.

It would also be appropriate to point out that for a country of 1.3 billion people, 1 consulate is not enough, not to mention the hardships caused by people who live far from the 1 consulate.

Count me in!

I agree that this is a great idea, and think that a group letter would be relatively easy for everyone to contribute to and mail out. My suggestion is that the letter must avoid being too wishy-washing in order to get the attention of lawmakers.

If possible we would need to provide data with appropriate sources. For example can we compare processing times in China with those in the UK, Western Europe, other Asian countries, Middle East, etc., and point to definite discrepencies.

Also, the statistic that King, Esq. mentioned was great about the 80% y/y increase in petitions in GUZ.

If we can start collecting some more info like this and back it up, then we have a shot at getting someone's attention.

-Fred

Guest ShaQuaNew

I agree, and am in support. It's time for the US to accept that China is also a superpower, and that we cannot stand alone in the world. Before increasing the staff at GUZ, and making the process more efficient, US policy toward China will need to change. Current immigration policy has restrictions on the number of immigrant and non-immigrant visas that can be granted to China. Lobbying Congress, and getting assistance at educating Americans about China will likely be the first step....

Here is a thought.Since everybody pays the fees,if the the case load has increased 80%,how are they spending the 80% more money they are collecting in Guangzhou.

long

193253[/snapback]

I believe the fee's collected are part of the USCIS contribution to Congress, who determines how much budget for each location.

• 1 month later...
Let's get started with a plan. We have a lot of smart and articulate  people here. I am sure we have more power then we think, and if we make some noise at the right places we are not going to be ignored!!!!!!

193546[/snapback]

What happened to the plan? I am absolutely for this. There should be over 2000 members on here. If we can combine our efforts in a letter writing campaigne to our elected reps, I think it will do some good.

Guest ShaQuaNew

What happened to the plan? I am absolutely for this. There should be over 2000 members on here. If we can combine our efforts in a letter writing campaigne to our elected reps, I think it will do some good.

206772[/snapback]

David has a great point:

we'd need to gather solid data/facts and maybe good to find out how other consulates have responded to such an increase ... helps to show there was already a precendent sometimes...

Perhaps you could take the reins and do some research as to current immigration quotas for China as they relate to marriage-based visas. One would need a statistical analysis over several years, with an emphasis on how the consulate at GUZ compares to other consulates over the world. To gather and compile such information would be quite time-consuming, and require comprehensive fact checking. Along with that, one would have to locate current production methods and manpower for a comparative analysis. Monumental man....but....

I have been saying this for some time...they are way too understaffed. I lived in Italy and in Spain, and I have heard that the staffing at GUZ is the same...and GUZ has caseload that is more than those two countries combined. I have written a few letters to Maura Harty, so I am sure that I am not the only person doing this..

If someone drafts a letter, I will sign it.

Thanks Peter!

Guest ShaQuaNew
I have been saying this for some time...they are way too understaffed. I lived in Italy and in Spain, and I have heard that the staffing at GUZ is the same...and GUZ has caseload that is more than those two countries combined. I have written a few letters to Maura Harty, so I am sure that I am not the only person doing this..

If someone drafts a letter, I will sign it.

Thanks Peter!

206776[/snapback]

It's a good idea Peter, but what carries more weight is to submit a careful study along with that letter.

I believe we have taken this idea of King's and very quickly moved it into the "too hard to do" and the "you can't get there from here" categories. We do not have the resources to conduct some comprehensive study of this problem and the solutions, nor do we have the credentials to assure its acceptance if we could do it. I don't even believe we could even compose a group letter in a short period of time, it's already almost 2 months since this topic was started. And even if these things were possible, how much effect would we have with a letter or study from "the internet group, A Candle for Love "?

So let's concentrate on what we can do: We can write our senators and representatives as American citizens with first hand reports on the situation and how it is affecting us because our government is not providing the services we are entitled to in an effective, timely manner.

We don't need to propose any solutions, we may have opinions but have no expertise in this area; we don't even know what all the options are to consider.

But we are experts in what is happening to us, our case, and our loved ones. We can talk first hand about USCIS processing times and the disparity between service centers. We can tell about the anguish of knowing that our petition sits in a DHL warehouse for over a month without even being looked at. We can go to other sites and get representative timeline data from visa processing in other countries and ask why this difference. We can talk about the impact of all these delays on our lives and the lives of our fiancees.

As citizens of the United States, we deserve and should demand better treatment and the best way to do this is through our elected representatives. If we each write our own letters to these representatives we will probably have a greater impact than any group letter or study could. And we could do it now.

It seems to me that it is time to either "S--t or get off the pot". I have already started my letter.

Guest ShaQuaNew
I believe we have taken this idea of King's and very quickly moved it into the "too hard to do" and the "you can't get there from here" categories.  We do not have the resources to conduct some comprehensive study of this problem and the solutions, nor do we have the credentials to assure its acceptance if we could do it.  I don't even believe we could even compose a group letter in a short period of time, it's already almost 2 months since this topic was started.  And even if these things were possible, how much effect would we have with a letter or study from "the internet group, A Candle for Love "? 

206817[/snapback]

There are actually quite a few people that are members of this site that have several years experience composing such letters; accompanied by comprehensive research and statistical studies. I'm not trying to poo-poo any such idea, but because of my own personal experience in such things, have seen effective presentation win out hands down over the well-intentioned, rapidly done thingy dingy.

Much of the information that you would need is contained right out there on the big-ole internet, which already contains studies and numbers.

Count me in. I would only add that a long, drawn out letter, full of detail and rhetoric will not be read. A shorter letter that gets right to the point will be addressed much quicker.

I have heard many talk show hosts and TV hosts say that they can only respond to short letters or emails. They simply do not have the time to respond to long, in depth letters. That makes sense to me. Anyway, let's go for it.