finally got the P4!!!!!!!!!!&#

Dear all,

I emailed the Consulate yesterday to confirm that they had received my new address, and they emailed back saying that they have, and that I an interview date would be set soon. I took this as incredible news and so called my wife to tell her. The result being that she had just received a package with our interview date! Mar 9th!

This is great news, but now we are thinking about how to tackle this interview. First off, my situtation is different than most here as I live in China and have since 2000. We are applying for the CR-1 visa. Here are some other special details:

1. I have been working a steady job here in China since the beginning of 2004. In light of this I am not sure how to handle the AOS stuff. I haven't worked in the US since 2000 and so I have no recent tax records or anything like that. I haven't worked or done anything there to pay tax! I have, however, been paying tax here for the past few years. How would this reflect on my AOS?

2. Our son was born last June. He is now 8 months old and already has his American passport. I am thinking that this will help a ton in validating the relationship between my wife and I.

3. My wife doesn't really speak English, but I speak Chinese. I have heard other people needed to prepare videos and stuff like that. Does anybody have a definite bit of info on this? We also have joint property here in China, lots of home movies that we have taken with our son, and tons of pics.

4. We are planning to head to the states after we get the visa, but then come back to China after a month or so (as soon as we can get the process started in the states) as my work and our house are here (shenzhen specifically). I've heard this isn't a problem...again, im not sure.

ok...im so excited that we are going to have a chance to go back. I personally haven't been back in the states for about 3 years and I am ready to take a break from China's little annoyances.

Thanks all and im happy the wait is finally over. Congrats to all those who have received their p4s and let me know if anybody is going to be in Guangzhou around Mar 9th as I will certainly be there.

nate

Dear all,

I emailed the Consulate yesterday to confirm that they had received my new address, and they emailed back saying that they have, and that I an interview date would be set soon.  I took this as incredible news and so called my wife to tell her.  The result being that she had just received a package with our interview date!  Mar 9th!

This is great news, but now we are thinking about how to tackle this interview.  First off, my situtation is different than most here as I live in China and have since 2000.  We are applying for the CR-1 visa.  Here are some other special details:

1.  I have been working a steady job here in China since the beginning of 2004.  In light of this I am not sure how to handle the AOS stuff.  I haven't worked in the US since 2000 and so I have no recent tax records or anything like that.  I haven't worked or done anything there to pay tax!  I have, however, been paying tax here for the past few years.  How would this reflect on my AOS?

2.  Our son was born last June.  He is now 8 months old and already has his American passport.  I am thinking that this will help a ton in validating the relationship between my wife and I.

3.  My wife doesn't really speak English, but I speak Chinese.  I have heard other people needed to prepare videos and stuff like that.  Does anybody have a definite bit of info on this?  We also have joint property here in China, lots of home movies that we have taken with our son, and tons of pics.

4.  We are planning to head to the states after we get the visa, but then come back to China after a month or so (as soon as we can get the process started in the states) as my work and our house are here (shenzhen specifically).  I've heard this isn't a problem...again, im not sure.

ok...im so excited that we are going to have a chance to go back.  I personally haven't been back in the states for about 3 years and I am ready to take a break from China's little annoyances.

Thanks all and im happy the wait is finally over.  Congrats to all those who have received their p4s and let me know if anybody is going to be in Guangzhou around Mar 9th as I will certainly be there.

nate

193146[/snapback]

Congrats on P4!!

All US citizens must file a tax return....irregardless of where you reside

or whether you are earning an income in USA.

As for proof of ability to communicate, you should make a VHS tape

(in NTSC system) recording of you and your wife chatting in Chinese.

About 5-10 minutes long.

Good luck!

1. For people who have lived abroad, like your situation:

a. If you didn't file taxes, you need a letter explaining why

b. if your income doesn't meet the poverty level, you need to get 'joint sponsors' who also supply a I-864 (must also be a citizen, meet the poverty level themself, etc)...

c. You need to establish 'domicile'--home residency in the US somehow.. (bring proof of this).

From CFL P3 FAQ:

Q. 3.7 What if I have been living in China and do not have one - three years of taxes to show?

A.3.7.1

I was in the same situation, this is the letter I wrote:

I, XXX (SSN: XXX, US Passport Number: XXX), did not file a 2003 Federal Income Tax Return. According to IRS Publication 501, Table 1, ??Filing Requirements Chart for Most Taxpayers,?? a single person under 65 only needs to file a tax return if gross income was more than $7,950. I was an XXX earning XXX a month during 2003. Total earned income for 2003 was XXX. Total unearned income for 2003 was XXX. Total gross income for 2003 was XXX, less than the $7,950 minimum to file a tax return.

I went to get it notarized at the consulate, but they said that it was not necessary. My wife handed it in at the interview, along with my 2002 and 2004 tax returns. No problem.

A.3.7.2

To whom it may concern:

This letter is an inclusion with the I-134 affidavit of support form regarding the K3 nonimmigrant visa case of LXX JXX, case number GUZXXXXXXXXXX. The purpose of this letter is to give an explanation as to why no supporting financial documents are included.

For the last two years, I have been an independent student and part time volunteer teacher in China and the United States. Because of this, I have not made sufficient income required to file United States federal income tax, as published on page 12, chart A of the 1040 IRS instruction booklet. The reasons for my temporary stays in China were to build and sustain a loving relationship with my wife and her family and to be with her while waiting through the prolonged visa application process.

To supplement the financial stipulations on the case, my mother, SXXXXX LXX JXXXXXXXX, has filed an additional I-134 affidavit of support, which fully meets the requirements.

Sincerely,

JXXXXXXXX EXXXXX JXXXXXXXX

A.3.7.3

I worked in China for all three tax years and hadn't filed while I was there, someone told me that it is better to file so I did this all at once. For each year as well as a 1040 I filled out a 2555-EZ Foreign Earned Income Exclusion form. I still had to write a letter explaining why there were no W2s. I simply wrote that for the three tax years I was working in China and was qualified to take the Foreign Earned Income tax exemption. As I was working for a foreign company I am unable to provide W2s

2. Probably... how about replacing your avatar with a baby picture :(

3. More and more are doing the interview in chinese.. seems to be less an issue.. but if you want to do a video of a conversation, she will only need this if she gets a blue slip (denial) and a request for it. You can create it now, but can't turn it in anyway unless they ask for it (in the denial). Just get her prepared for the interview for now. If you have to do a video, you might have it, but it will be a slam dunk anyway...

4. A CR1 can travel without issue... not sure if you must wait for the GC to arrive in the mail or something in the PP allows this as well....

best to you two !!

----

added link for FAQs.. look at the Interview FAQ and Questions..

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11293

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
WOW! Congrats!

These interview dates lately sure have been coming without much notice.

Good luck!

193150[/snapback]

Congratulations and best wishes for a successful interview!! ;) :toot:

That is 4 recent P4's with 2 week leadtime... maybe still a fluke around New Year end... we'll see.

Dear all,

I emailed the Consulate yesterday to confirm that they had received my new address, and they emailed back saying that they have, and that I an interview date would be set soon.  I took this as incredible news and so called my wife to tell her.  The result being that she had just received a package with our interview date!  Mar 9th!

This is great news, but now we are thinking about how to tackle this interview.  First off, my situtation is different than most here as I live in China and have since 2000.  We are applying for the CR-1 visa.  Here are some other special details:

1.  I have been working a steady job here in China since the beginning of 2004.  In light of this I am not sure how to handle the AOS stuff.  I haven't worked in the US since 2000 and so I have no recent tax records or anything like that.  I haven't worked or done anything there to pay tax!  I have, however, been paying tax here for the past few years.  How would this reflect on my AOS?

2.  Our son was born last June.  He is now 8 months old and already has his American passport.  I am thinking that this will help a ton in validating the relationship between my wife and I.

3.  My wife doesn't really speak English, but I speak Chinese.  I have heard other people needed to prepare videos and stuff like that.  Does anybody have a definite bit of info on this?  We also have joint property here in China, lots of home movies that we have taken with our son, and tons of pics.

4.  We are planning to head to the states after we get the visa, but then come back to China after a month or so (as soon as we can get the process started in the states) as my work and our house are here (shenzhen specifically).  I've heard this isn't a problem...again, im not sure.

ok...im so excited that we are going to have a chance to go back.  I personally haven't been back in the states for about 3 years and I am ready to take a break from China's little annoyances.

Thanks all and im happy the wait is finally over.  Congrats to all those who have received their p4s and let me know if anybody is going to be in Guangzhou around Mar 9th as I will certainly be there.

nate

193146[/snapback]

Congratulations to you!

(1) I think you'd better file I-864 for your wife, and write a statement to explain why you have no tax returns. Then, find a joint sponsor, your parents, your bothers or sisters, that's ok.

(2)That's very good. I think your son's passport and birth certificate will be very helpful for the interview.

(3)You may teach her some simple English for the interview. If you bring a videotape to the interview, they will have no time to see it.

(4)You have been living in China for many years, right? I think you'd better provide a statement in detailed, write out your plans after you go back to the U.S.

Wish you success!

Congratulations on the P4. David hit the nail on the head. Just to reiterate what he and romantic said. You will need to complete the I-864 irrespective of you income/assets, but it sounds like you'll be needing a joint sponsor as well.

As far as return travel to China after your wife enters the US, pay some attention to the length of travel limitations that might require a re-entry permit.