Flying United Air

I am looking at flights in April from Chicago to Bejing then to ChongQing, with a short layover, has anyone traveled on United before and how are they on this trip? also are they overbooked ? do they serve you food ? whats the general opinion:

190047[/snapback]

Check out the polar pictures I put in the CFL gallery. They were taken on this flight last July.

I flew that route twice - no complaints, except that the second one was delayed by 7 hours for an equipment malfunction. Either 2 or 3 meals.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Was displeased with the service on this flight and the food was poor in comparison to Air China. B)

My biggest complaint was the flight attendents(American) were more concerned about being politically correct than passenger comfort. On many international flights the cabin crew requests and sometimes insists that the shades be lowered to allow people to sleep, on this flight they were not too concerned that the shades were up and the sun was blasting into the faces of those who tried to sleep.

On top of that they still owe me miles for 2 round trips to China and have denied them enough times I have just resolved not to contribute to their cause again.

My last statement to them was I would rather "drive" to China from the US than use their airline again"...

Consider me a disgruntled ex-customer :P

When I travel to China I usually fly UNITED from SFO-PEK. I have made 14 flights of the 16 on UNITED. I have had great luck, except the last few times there were delays due to mechanical problems. But they issued some kind of travel voucher for 100.00 towards any UAL flight in the US only, which I don't mind.

I generally fly business class which is much better than coach, if you have a chance to fly business it's worth the money. If the flights are overbooked they usually ask if you would like to upgrade to business for a small fee.

The meals are pretty good, which they serve 2 full meals, and snacks through out the flight.

The crews vary from really really nice, to a bunch of old hags that don't give a damn. My overall experiance has been very pleased with their service, and the flights are usually on time.

I have very very LOW expectations from airlines; just get me there.

I've gone PEK from ORD and SFO. I prefer ORD as it arrives a couple of hours earlier than from SFO. I return via SFO as it leaves later from PEK.

On each of the 3 trips so far United met my expectations, I had a seat and the aircraft got to the destination in one piece.

My biggest complaint was the flight attendents(American) were more concerned about being politically correct than passenger comfort. On many international flights the cabin crew requests and sometimes insists that the shades be lowered to allow people to sleep, on this flight they were not too concerned that the shades were up and the sun was blasting into the faces of those who tried to sleep.

190099[/snapback]

Sadly enough, I noticed this too...

Have gone on two flights R/T... all else ok.. other than maybe the food to china is better than back to US in my opinion...

190099[/snapback]

Sadly enough, I noticed this too...

Have gone on two flights R/T... all else ok.. other than maybe the food to china is better than back to US in my opinion...

190636[/snapback]

I also had a missed connection in Beijing and honestly believe if I had been booked on one of the Chinese airlines things would have worked out easier. As it was the United people told me to return to the airport in 3 days. :D

190099[/snapback]

Well, I WAS taking pictures . . . .

I have only flown United from Denver to Shanghai and it was very good.

190494[/snapback]

Ditto on this, I have flown the same DEN-SFO-PVG, and have had no problems or complaints, and am actually quite pleased with their meal selection, frequency, and quality, the audio/video selection, and alcohol is offered at no charge on the overseas leg.

The SFO-PVG PVG-SFO legs are usually are overbooked, however if you are a mileage plus premier member, you can possibly get upgraded to buz class. This happened to me in Sept when they overbooked economy on the SFO-PVG leg, and got bumped into a buz class seat, no charge! Otherwise, I have occasionally paid the $550 extra to upgrade to buz class, which is a steal compared to the regular buz class rates.

Overall, quite pleased with United.

I have only flown United from Denver to Shanghai and it was very good.

190494[/snapback]

Ditto on this, I have flown the same DEN-SFO-PVG, and have had no problems or complaints, and am actually quite pleased with their meal selection, frequency, and quality, the audio/video selection, and alcohol is offered at no charge on the overseas leg.

The SFO-PVG PVG-SFO legs are usually are overbooked, however if you are a mileage plus premier member, you can possibly get upgraded to buz class. This happened to me in Sept when they overbooked economy on the SFO-PVG leg, and got bumped into a buz class seat, no charge! Otherwise, I have occasionally paid the $550 extra to upgrade to buz class, which is a steal compared to the regular buz class rates.

Overall, quite pleased with United.

190928[/snapback]

Hi,

I took United on the advice of my (Chinese) travel agent in San Francisco. Outbound, the plane was half full and I was able to lie down to sleep. I also thought the meals were good and did not get into the snacks I had packed. The flight attendents DID ask all passengers to close the windows after the dinner service, but not before.

Lee, I'm sorry for your experiences, I would not fly them again if they treated me like that, just like I would NEVER fly Continental after they stranded me in Denver one Christmas (strike).

Ken, nice to see you here! How come you have time to post? :P

-James