Blue slip is NOT dreaded

SmilingAsia

Looking at the world through almond eyes:

I'd like to share with you what I know about your consulate in our good old Guangzhou.

I want to expel the myth.

The myth came from language barrier and our cultural differences.

When Chinese is translated into English it may get twisted and vice versa.

I have noticed, several times, on the blue slips what the VO wrote in English and the Chinese staff wrote in Chinese are different versions!!!

One thing we got confused.

The "black pearl", Jie's VO, is not the infamous former Black Pearl whom I believe left when the consulate was relocated in Aug, 2005.

The new "black pearl" is said to be friendly and she is among the nicest VO's in Guangzhou.

I got completely defeated by the new "black pearl" on Oct 24, 2005.

My client didn't really understand what the VO said in English and she just answered yes and no. When the VO explained why she denied her and would return the case to DHS, my client said "thank you"

wo tu xue!!!

The former infamous Black Pearl is <name deleted>. Chinese women think she looks a bit like Secretary Rice.

<name deleted> issued lots of blue slips attached with yellow slip.

That's her style: I don't believe your relationship is true. You brainstorm a way to convince me. I believe in evidence and consistency.

The first time I overcame the denials of Black Pearl was in the fall of 2003. Two angry American men got stuck in Guangzhou as their fiancees visa got denied twice in one week, but they got visas finally. Applicants didn't have to make appointment for submitting docs to overtime denial in 2003 or 2004.

The last time I overcame the denial of Black Pearl was in May 2005.

<anem deleted> was tough but she is reasonable. Please note she was in a circumstances where there were lots of fraud cases and the capacity of the consulate was too small on Sha Mian Island, Guangzhou. They really didn't have time to go the details at the initial interview.

Overcoming the denials of other VOs was amusing, humorous, entertaining, but overcoming the denials by Black Pearl was challenging, exciting, nerve-racking!!!

I have to addmit, Black Pearl has extremely high IQ.

I believe the former infamous Black Pearl left before Aug 2005 when the consulate moved to Tian He, Guangzhou.

I really have missed her....lol....

Each applicant only saw the VO at the initial interview, so they thought the new "black pearl" is the infamous former Black Pearl (<name deleted>).

In my categories, Wolf's case belongs to the one which has lots of work to do but low risk.

Eunice

Edited by frank1538 (see edit history)
Looking at the world through almond eyes:

I'd like to share with you what I know about your consulate in our good old Guangzhou.

I want to expel the myth.

The myth came from language barrier and our cultural differences.

When Chinese is translated into English it may get twisted and vice versa.

I have noticed, several times, on the blue slips what the VO wrote in English and the Chinese staff wrote in Chinese are different versions!!!

One thing we got confused.

The "black pearl", Jie's VO, is not the infamous former Black Pearl whom I believe left when the consulate was relocated in Aug, 2005.

The new "black pearl" is said to be friendly and she is among the nicest VO's in Guangzhou.

I got completely defeated by the new "black pearl" on Oct 24, 2005.

My client didn't really understand what the VO said in English and she just answered yes and no. When the VO explained why she denied her and would return the case to DHS, my client said "thank you"

wo tu xue!!!

The former infamous Black Pearl is <name deleted>. Chinese women think she looks a bit like Secretary Rice.

<name deleted> issued lots of blue slips attached with yellow slip.

That's her style: I don't believe your relationship is true. You brainstorm a way to convince me. I believe in evidence and consistency.

The first time I overcame the denials of Black Pearl was in the fall of 2003. Two angry American men got stuck in Guangzhou as their fiancees visa got denied twice in one week, but they got visas finally. Applicants didn't have to make appointment for submitting docs to overtime denial in 2003 or 2004.

The last time I overcame the denial of Black Pearl was in May 2005.

<name deleted> was tough but she is reasonable. Please note she was in a circumstances where there were lots of fraud cases and the capacity of the consulate was too small on Sha Mian Island, Guangzhou. They really didn't have time to go the details at the initial interview.

Overcoming the denials of other VOs was amusing, humorous, entertaining, but overcoming the denials by Black Pearl was challenging, exciting, nerve-racking!!!

I have to addmit, Black Pearl has extremely high IQ.

I believe the former infamous Black Pearl left before Aug 2005 when the consulate moved to Tian He, Guangzhou.

I really have missed her....lol....

Each applicant only saw the VO at the initial interview, so they thought the new "black pearl" is the infamous former Black Pearl (<name deleted>).

In my categories, Wolf's case belongs to the one which has lots of work to do but low risk.

Eunice

189098[/snapback]

Good information

Edited by frank1538 (see edit history)

It is always good to get a look through the eyes of those with much practical experience. As applicants most of us only have one chance at the experience. The value here at CFL is that new applicants can see the variety of experiences. Those who do this professionally compile a larger range of experience and understanding.

I agree with your post.

The current "Black Pearl" is most likely new.

I have worked with US Embassys and Consulates in the past, and normally, staff are rotated out every 3 to 4 years.

One reason is so that they do not form close personal relationships in any certain geographical area that might skew their judgement one way or the other.

My wife had her interview with the former Black Pearl in March of 2003.

She said that everyone in the waiting area knew who she was and were in feverish prayer to their own God that they would not get her or "Glasses" for the interview.

My wifes interview went very well. We were well prepared, well documented, I head been there for 17 times on business, and she knew I was waiting outside at the interview.

Dean and Lannie

I think we really need to stop referring to anyone as the black pearl, and perhaps, if we wish to nickname anyone, it should just be 'pearl'. Jie's VO, was very professional, corteous, well dressed, polite, but also very serious. While we know of some blueslipped CR1's, we know she also redslipped a CR1 in just a few seconds with only one or two questions. Very easy.

Whoever this lady is, she, with all the other VO's, is worthy of the same respect we expect for ourselves.

And just a note of interest.......Jie did mention one thing she noticed...

this VO just happened to wear........PEARL earrings. LOL !

I think we really need to stop referring to anyone as the black pearl, and perhaps, if we wish to nickname anyone, it should just be 'pearl'. Jie's VO, was very professional, corteous, well dressed, polite, but also very serious.

Whoever this lady is, she, with all the other VO's, is worthy of the same respect we expect for ourselves.

189338[/snapback]

Ditto Ken,

My wife had one??? of the pearls last June. Maybe her twin sister?

DESPITE my wife being hit with about 11 VERY JUSTIFIED questions about her ex possibly being in the US already this VO was IN FACT VERY PROFESSIONAL (but serious of personality)- she DID help my wife with a stumble about daughter's age too. Personally, we did fully expect a "blue slip" (for other reasons than above) that was NOT given. Likewise, as Jie reports, she took her time to review the documents fully and carefully . I think my living in China with my wife for a year was the deciding factor.

Bottom line- courtesy of some of these posts: My wife RESPECTS her and just today said "she just is doing her job, she know what it is and she did it well".

189389[/snapback]

Would you share the "other reasons" with us? I ask because looking at the various parameters I too see reasons for a blue slip and am anticipating the necessary "overcome" documentation.

I think we really need to stop referring to anyone as the black pearl, and perhaps, if we wish to nickname anyone, it should just be 'pearl'. Jie's VO, was very professional, corteous, well dressed, polite, but also very serious.

189338[/snapback]

Ditto Ken,

My wife had one??? of the pearls last June. Maybe her twin sister?

DESPITE my wife being hit with about 11 VERY JUSTIFIED questions about her ex possibly being in the US already this VO was IN FACT VERY PROFESSIONAL (but serious of personality)- she DID help my wife with a stumble about daughter's age too. Personally, we did fully expect a "blue slip" (for other reasons than above) that was NOT given. Likewise, as Jie reports, she took her time to review the documents fully and carefully . I think my living in China with my wife for a year was the deciding factor.

Bottom line- courtesy of some of these posts: My wife RESPECTS her and just today said "she just is doing her job, she know what it is and she did it well".

189389[/snapback]

Would you share the "other reasons" with us? I ask because looking at the various parameters I too see reasons for a blue slip and am anticipating the necessary "overcome" documentation.

189755[/snapback]

Our view from everything we have seen, heard, and learned, is that the VO is simply looking to answer one main question: is this a real or fraudulent relationship. Anything that could leave some doubt or question, will be questioned and will possibly be blue slipped.

Third party info, poor paperwork, missing information (pictures, etc), ex-spouses, lack of language communication, etc can lead a VO to at least have some question. It appears that the VO's are willing to further query someone when there is some doubt, and if the answers are convincing, then a red slip is given. If they are not, the VO will issue a blue slip.

Again, a blue slip just means the VO is not comfortable yet with giving a visa and is finished spending time with this particular applicant and is ready to move to the next person.

While we were there, the same VO gave some reds and some blues. Some blues were given after 5 to 7 minute interviews. A red was given to a CR1 after a 30 MINUTE interview. She can also give a red to a CR1 in a matter of seconds.

Just be prepared, study the CFL faqs and interview questions, learn why blue slips are given, and prepare your own case accordingly.

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)
I think we really need to stop referring to anyone as the black pearl, and perhaps, if we wish to nickname anyone, it should just be 'pearl'. .....

189338[/snapback]

I see your point but for me I do not see any negative racial implications in that nickname. It is just a means of ID. In nature black pearls are extremely rare and beautiful and command a higher price than white, cream or rose colored pearls.

Glasses was called glasses because she wore glasses. I never thought of that name as calling people with glasses less worthy.

When I was younger there was a few guys in our group called Jim. One guy was crippled. We called him "Crippled Jim". Saddly he passed away early, we all loved him and his funeral turnout was huge.

I guess it's all in ones intent.

Just my .02

I think we really need to stop referring to anyone as the black pearl, and perhaps, if we wish to nickname anyone, it should just be 'pearl'. .....

189338[/snapback]

I see your point but for me I do not see any negative racial implications in that nickname. It is just a means of ID. In nature black pearls are extremely rare and beautiful and command a higher price than white, cream or rose colored pearls.

Glasses was called glasses because she wore glasses. I never thought of that name as calling people with glasses less worthy.

When I was younger there was a few guys in our group called Jim. One guy was crippled. We called him "Crippled Jim". Saddly he passed away early, we all loved him and his funeral turnout was huge.

I guess it's all in ones intent.

Just my .02

189781[/snapback]

In south China, we call foreigners gui lao (ghost man)

The first foreigners arrived in China were the fair-hair, blue-eyed priests, serveral hundred years ago.

People thought they saw ghosts-:)

People call a female foreigner gui po. (My employer almost killed me when I told a customer we had a nickname "gui po" for her.)

As time passes, gui lao doesn't mean anything negative but just means a foreigner.

Some Chinese women are actively seeking gui lao for mariage.

When Chinese say hei zhen zhu (black pearl), I don't believe they mean any negative racial implications, just a nickname.

They aslo have nick names such as da kuai tou (big fat guy), guan tou lao (bald guy) for other VOs coz the applicants don't know the names of VO.

One problem with the "black pearl" nick name is the reputation earned by the original doesn't fit with the woman being saddled with the nickname now.

190010[/snapback]

That's how I feel... so that the 'fear factor' gets passed along to another person of similar race...

I'm less caught up in the so-call 'being overly PC' than simply making a name for a [current] person who doesn't deserve it...

I'm not going to mention anything about VO stories to my SO. Something tells me not to stir the pot on this one.

I will tell her that many other applicants may possibly talk of such myths while she is waiting. Don't listen too much to this. Everything will be fine, today is different. It is a happy day, but they may ask more information and we will have to wait a little more time. No problem.

Be confident, truthful, and show respect to the person asking you questions.

I fear telling her of such "myths" will draw too much energy from her during the interview.

Possibly not knowing she will feel more relaxed.

Stereotypes, Nicknames, Profiling ,whatever we want to call it could do more harm than good.

Just a thought.

E

I'm not going to mention anything about VO stories to my SO. Something tells me not to stir the pot on this one.

I will tell her that many other applicants may possibly talk of such myths while she is waiting. Don't listen too much to this. Everything will be fine, today is different. It is a happy day, but they may ask more information and we will have to wait a little more time. No problem.

Be confident, truthful, and show respect to the person asking you questions.

I fear telling her of such "myths" will draw too much energy from her during the interview.

Possibly not knowing she will feel more relaxed.

Stereotypes, Nicknames, Profiling ,whatever we want to call it could do more harm than good.

Just a thought.

E

190191[/snapback]

I agree with this and took this same approach... Our focus was on what the VO is looking for (ie: evidence, demeanor)... I wanted her confident that the file in the VOs hand and what she had on hand was fully prepared.. this made her feel fully prepared mentally... and when she walked up to an african american VO, she thought nothing different of her other than this is my VO...