What if your SO doesn't speak English?

I plan on visiting my SO in September (in Chongqong), however, she does not understand English and I do not understand Mandarin. I am trying to learn Mandarin when I can (audio CDs) and she tries to do the same, but she is usually very busy with her work so I still feel that by the time I arrive we still wont be able to communicate well at all.

I have read some threads about visits to China with their SO's where their SO spoke English relatively well, but what if they don't speak well at all? Can you recommend some tips for easing communication? Such as, should I bring a pencil and paper everywhere to "Pictionary" up some words I can't say? Should I draw shapes and things with hand gestures while I talk to help her know what I mean (I heard it is uncustomary to talk with your hands)? Can you recommend some relatively inexpensive technology or small books that could help?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had the same problem and solved it by my SO having 2 good girlfriends who spoke perfect English. They arranged to be with us almost all the time...And we even toured with one or the other. But a good pocket dictionary (we used Langenscheidt's [sp]) we found to be more useful than an electronic translator, although we had both....Have fun... :lol:

Can you speak simple Madarin Chinese? There is no direct flight between U.S. and Chongqing. You will have to pass through Chinese customs and change airplanes either in Beijing and Shanghai. I hope you won't get lost in the airport. Last year when I went to China, I sat next to a young man (around 18) who flew to China to see his brother in Guangxi. It was his first trip abroad and he does not understand Chinese. I helped him a lot at Beijing International Airport. And he thanked me for that. I think it was quite an adventure for him.

Edited by Stone (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk
I plan on visiting my SO in September (in Chongqong), however, she does not understand English and I do not understand Mandarin. I am trying to learn Mandarin when I can (audio CDs) and she tries to do the same, but she is usually very busy with her work so I still feel that by the time I arrive we still wont be able to communicate well at all.

I have read some threads about visits to China with their SO's where their SO spoke English relatively well, but what if they don't speak well at all? Can you recommend some tips for easing communication? Such as, should I bring a pencil and paper everywhere to "Pictionary" up some words I can't say? Should I draw shapes and things with hand gestures while I talk to help her know what I mean (I heard it is uncustomary to talk with your hands)? Can you recommend some relatively inexpensive technology or small books that could help?

Thanks in advance.

187460[/snapback]

Technology holds the answer. You seem far from ready but when you are, I suggest you buy one of these and learn how to use it.

http://www.bestausa.com/e618pro.htm

My wife initially spoke no English, and still very little when she came here.

Use a computer to translate, while you learn Chinese. :lol: Seriously...

I've been at it for a couple of years; we initially used people, then computers to translate for us.

Overall, even though she's making progress with English...

I've found that the deepest impact of a statement from me comes when I say it in Chinese. She can have conversations with people now, but when I want to make sure my point gets straight accross, I use Chinese. Sometimes I have to go back to the computer, but it's worth it.

P.S: I can give you lots of tips on books, etc.

Edited by leejcandle (see edit history)

my wife is from chongqing also. And I worryed about that on my frist trip too. Her english was not to bad but her girl friend came along with us also she is a english teacher there. But on my trips to chongqing I have had no problems really many people there speak enough engilsh get get anything done you want to do.

Which brings up a question. My wife thinks that all middle schools in China teach English. If so, I would think that everyone would know it. What has been your SO's experience?

187474[/snapback]

I started by using books and CD's learning the basics, I have also utilized some of her friends as translators, as well as speaking for up to 50 hours a month on the phone. With my wife now here I revert to my electronic translator, which will speak sentences when we get stuck in our conversation. I don't use the dictionary that often.

For us? We have come a long way in our conversations. At first, Jie could not speak English at all. I've tried all of the above to learn, and I've found the audio works good for me. It allows me to pronounce the tones correctly, and saves some face in front of an audience.

We text message in "pinyin," but we talk Chinglish/Manglish, whatever, a lot on the phone. Speaking on the phone an hour or more a day has really helped. In October "05" we talked about 90 hrs for the month. At first Jie said, "too much money finish." Then I explained, " It give us good face too much tao kieng (talking)." "Give VO too much telephone look."

And Yes, we have spelled English words in pinyin. Many times. Pei pao (people), whatever it takes.

It will come in time. Practice, practice, practice. I started out teaching her many words, and gave her an example by stumbling through the dictionary. Some things I found helped her in the begining. Not useing compound/complex wording in conversation. Leave out words like, "the and a." Keep it simple in the beginning.

(e.g.)

today shopping, good sleep? Lao gong work.

And when I speak? Slowly, very slowly, and clear.

It most likely will start with a mix of both .

For us, it is a together thing we enjoy.

" I brought my pencil, give me something to write on man"

Van Halen..........

And, when you are "Hot for Teacher".....Ooooohhhh Man!!!!!

E

I remember the first time Jingwen and I met. I had my translator and a rudimentary vocabulary, purportedly putonghua, but decidedly American accented. Jingwen spoke no English but what she did saved the day. She had sat down with a friend who spoke English and had written out a 100 or so phrases in English and Chinese - things like "Are you hungry?", "Do you like?", "Let's eat/take a cab/rest, etc." - everyday expressions. It really helped.

She eventually bought a translator, but used it very little. My putonghua improved, and I relied less on my translator. Eventually we both became rather proficient in CFL's official language - Chinglish. :angry:

My wife initially spoke passable english, but only conversational. At that point I think I was to lesson 11 on Pimsleur I. She had an acquaintance who spoke English well and wanted to meet an American. We took him along when we went to the various government offices because it was important we knew what was being said, since her hometown had very few English speakers. He stayed at her family home and was there for the marriage celebration as well. His translation was invaluable.

It worked out well, and we paid him 600RMB for 8 days versus 3 times that for a hired translator. I go again in a little under 2 months, and I am more confident in her English and my Mandarin. We won't have a translator this time, and we also won't be doing anything technical.

Yesa, Chinglish many good. Wo baobao an' me talk many long and many happy. I many miss she and she many miss me! Sometime we talk 4 how-wo mi gah! many long! I soon tired she tired too.

(I'm not making fun, this is often how we talk, though I am trying to add more grammar to it slowly but surely).

mercator Posted Today, 06:20 PM

Yesa, Chinglish many good. Wo baobao an' me talk many long and many happy. I many miss she and she many miss me! Sometime we talk 4 how-wo mi gah! many long! I soon tired she tired too.

(I'm not making fun, this is often how we talk, though I am trying to add more grammar to it slowly but surely).

Same here.

I always joke with Jie:

"Chinese no understand, English no understand."

"A language of our own."

But, as time goes by she gets better, and better.

Sometimes I think I get worse, and worse.

I have never liked using a human translator - seems like they always flavor it somehow with their own interpretation.

Between computer translations through AltaVista and our handheld Yishin 888/Langwen 8688, we can communicate anything we need to.

Anything we CAN'T communicate (or don't try to), we're increasingly finding just isn't important.

For my first trip last February, I went 2 or 3 days without even SEEING another English-speaking person.

By the way, the Beijing airport was very easy to get through, including a helpful policeman who ran off a taxi driver who just really wanted to take me somewhere.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)