background check. what about my record?

Hi,

I was arrested in 2002 for a petit misdeminor during my divorce. Wventually pleaded non guilty. (ex-wife had made a storry). the judge dismissed the case after 1 year probation and the case was dismissed.

Can that affect my process for K1 visa for my SO?

how?

186056[/snapback]

Nope!

Hi,

I was arrested in 2002 for a petit misdeminor during my divorce. Wventually pleaded non guilty. (ex-wife had made a storry). the judge dismissed the case after 1 year probation and the case was dismissed.

how?

186056[/snapback]

Nope!

186058[/snapback]

so what do they do in that background check?

Hi,

how?

186056[/snapback]

Nope!

186058[/snapback]

186060[/snapback]

My guess is that mostly they check her background--after all you aren't the one migrating to America!!!!! Even if they did check your background, a dismissed misdemeanor wouldn't be cause for alarm. convicted felons have rights taken away but not those convicted of a misdemeanor.

Hi,

how?

186056[/snapback]

Nope!

186058[/snapback]

186060[/snapback]

My guess is that mostly they check her background--after all you aren't the one migrating to America!!!!! Even if they did check your background, a dismissed misdemeanor wouldn't be cause for alarm. convicted felons have rights taken away but not those convicted of a misdemeanor.

186071[/snapback]

Hum.

So what do they check for her background check? we already will give them police history latter on....

check to see if she is not a spy or anything ? :)

I guess I look at the info we give them. addresses. employment (they don't even ask for a number or an address, just a name). Then we don't give them any chinese SS number, ....

I really wonder what they can check really.

I mean this is a serious question.

Here in the us to run a background check, you need address, SS number, ... and even then, you barely pull what's on a credit report, not much more

Hi,

how?

186056[/snapback]

Nope!

186058[/snapback]

186060[/snapback]

186071[/snapback]

Hum.

So what do they check for her background check? we already will give them police history latter on....

I guess I look at the info we give them. addresses. employment (they don't even ask for a number or an address, just a name). Then we don't give them any chinese SS number, ....

Here in the us to run a background check, you need address, SS number, ... and even then, you barely pull what's on a credit report, not much more

186075[/snapback]

I'm told that they look for felonies etc...but i have some doubts as there was one case that the man who was the pettitioner was a convicted child molester---and his SO got the visa! I don't know for sure what, if anything, they look for. maybe someone else will know? I'm assuming that if your ex made up a story then you were arrested for Dom. violence. a misemeanor is just that and will not affect your pettition!

Guest pushbrk
Hi,

how?

186056[/snapback]

Nope!

186058[/snapback]

186060[/snapback]

186071[/snapback]

Hum.

186075[/snapback]

You're losing me here, Pinky. Of course "they" ask for the name AND address of both the Petitioner and Benificiary's employers for 5 years.

The Chinese "police" report on the beneficiary tells them what is in the Chinese records. The US law enforcement agencies are checking their own sources. One thing they are looking for is records of persons with the same name and DOB or other similarities already in the USA or with previous records in the USA. They don't just take your word for the fact your SO hasn't already come to the USA before.

Hi,

how?

186056[/snapback]

Nope!

186058[/snapback]

186060[/snapback]

186071[/snapback]

Hum.

186075[/snapback]

I'm told that they look for felonies etc...but i have some doubts as there was one case that the man who was the pettitioner was a convicted child molester---and his SO got the visa! I don't know for sure what, if anything, they look for. maybe someone else will know? I'm assuming that if your ex made up a story then you were arrested for Dom. violence. a misemeanor is just that and will not affect your pettition!

186077[/snapback]

Disorderly conduct to be precise :blink: for taking my kid to the park without authorization, ... I guess this is divorce tactics but anyway this is the past.

For SO, I mostly worry because she works for a sub-company to the Chinese aerospace. Imagine that you work for a company that makes parts for NASA. She needs to have security clearance and we worry that this could be an issue.

Guest pushbrk
Hi,

how?

186056[/snapback]

Nope!

186058[/snapback]

186060[/snapback]

186071[/snapback]

Hum.

186075[/snapback]

186077[/snapback]

Disorderly conduct to be precise :blink: for taking my kid to the park without authorization, ... I guess this is divorce tactics but anyway this is the past.

For SO, I mostly worry because she works for a sub-company to the Chinese aerospace. Imagine that you work for a company that makes parts for NASA. She needs to have security clearance and we worry that this could be an issue.

186082[/snapback]

It could also be a problem on the Chinese goverment side. Certain govermnent employees are not eligible for marriage to foreigners. Of course, if she can get the Visa and come here before you're married that problem is solved. You have raised a legitimate concern, I'm not sure you can get answered here on CFL.

Hi,

how?

186056[/snapback]

Nope!

186058[/snapback]

186060[/snapback]

186071[/snapback]

Hum.

186075[/snapback]

186077[/snapback]

My wife's Chinese Identification card & her passport both have numbers assigned to them, so I would think these are similar to a SS#?

Hi,

how?

186056[/snapback]

Nope!

186058[/snapback]

186060[/snapback]

186071[/snapback]

Hum.

186075[/snapback]

186077[/snapback]

186082[/snapback]

It could also be a problem on the Chinese goverment side. Certain govermnent employees are not eligible for marriage to foreigners. Of course, if she can get the Visa and come here before you're married that problem is solved. You have raised a legitimate concern, I'm not sure you can get answered here on CFL.

186084[/snapback]

At this point I am concerned about namechecks and security clearances again.

I doubt you have anything to worry about for YOUR personal situation being it was not a felony. The more years we add onto our age the less perfect we realize we are, don't worry about your past since it is really not a legitimate reason to stop you from marrying your true love. On your SO's situation, with her security clearance I don't see why the Chinese government would issue her a passport if they were worried about anything on her side. If she has her passport then I would try not to accept any "speculation" of her not being able to marry a foreigner since she could leave the country at anytime with her security clearance.

Good luck, have you filed for a K-1 yet?

Larry

Guest pushbrk
Hi,

how?

186056[/snapback]

Nope!

186058[/snapback]

186060[/snapback]

186071[/snapback]

Hum.

186075[/snapback]

186077[/snapback]

186082[/snapback]

186084[/snapback]

At this point I am concerned about namechecks and security clearances again.

I doubt you have anything to worry about for YOUR personal situation being it was not a felony. The more years we add onto our age the less perfect we realize we are, don't worry about your past since it is really not a legitimate reason to stop you from marrying your true love. On your SO's situation, with her security clearance I don't see why the Chinese government would issue her a passport if they were worried about anything on her side. If she has her passport then I would try not to accept any "speculation" of her not being able to marry a foreigner since she could leave the country at anytime with her security clearance.

Good luck, have you filed for a K-1 yet?

Larry

186094[/snapback]

I agree totally that if your SO has a passport there is no need to worry about what I brought up. Does she have one?

Hi,

how?

186056[/snapback]

Nope!

186058[/snapback]

186060[/snapback]

I have no hard knowledge of this, but I seem to remember that Bush just signed a law that would seem to require a petitioner to report a criminal record if one files after a certain date in the near future. here is the thread

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15144

hope that helps.

it is called the namecheck clearance done by FBI, but it is to check your wife's background not yours. the DOS would like to know if she has ever been arrested, involved in any terrorist attack, or formerly been to the U.S. illegally, etc. so your record wont affect her visa application.

My understanding is that the background checks are all on the alien (beneficiary), not the petitioner.

As Trigg pointed out, a convicted child molester successfully petitioned for a visa, so obviously they haven't checked background in the past.

The "International Marriage Broker Regulation Act of 2005" that was brought up, this takes effect 3/2006, with a 60 day enactment period. I believe this only requires that if you went through a "marriage broker", that they disclose this to your potential spouse.

If I were in your situation, I would probably just disclose anything in your background to your SO that they might feel need to be disclosed and that way she could honestly say that all this information was provided to her, should it ever come up. Besides, I think it's a good idea in a relationship to disclose all this, anyway.

P.J.