We win the lottery

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations, Owen & Chunxia! You surely deserve it, which was long over due!

FYI, your wife's visa is an immigration visa -- a real, unconditional green card, which will not be anything printed or glued to her passport. They may handwrite someting, but she will not need to drop her passport and come back to GZ later -- this is for K visas only. She will get a big sealed envelope and hand it in at the port of entry and her green card (which is pink) will in in the mail to her in 4-6 weeks. A new number you mentioned is her Alien Registration number, aka, green card number. She will need this for future process like applying for citizenship, etc. Very happy for you.

Welcome to America, Chunxia, or Rose!

Congratulations, Owen & Chunxia!  You surely deserve it, which was long over due!

FYI, your wife's visa is an immigration visa -- a real, unconditional green card,  which will not be anything printed or glued to her passport.  They may handwrite someting, but she will not need to drop her passport and come back to GZ later -- this is for K visas only.  She will get a big sealed envelope and hand it in at the port of entry and her green card (which is pink) will in in the mail to her in 4-6 weeks.  A new number you mentioned is her Alien Registration number, aka, green card number.  She will need this for future process like applying for citizenship, etc.  Very happy for you.

Welcome to America, Chunxia, or Rose!

And bring your singing voice! I love singing! :P :lol: :lol:

ttlee,

You have missed one of the very important points. Until my wife has her visa and in fact her green card, she is stuck in China. She cannot visit her brother in America, she cannot meet my elderly parents, who want very much to meet her, she cannot even leave if there should be some emergency that forced me back to America. Tourist visas are even more of a lottery than are the IR-1 that she has waiting. In fact, since she has relatives in America, it makes it even harder to obtain a tourist visa as so many people have used them for a way to get to the US and then overstayed. I passed up a very good job in the US a few months ago because my wife did not have her visa yet. I have promised her not to leave her alone again if I can prevent it. This visa means we can stay together no matter what.

She will have to wait in the US until she gets her green card and then she will have to make at least one trip a year back to the US. That is fine since we want to do that anyway. At some point, if I get an appealing offer, we may want to move back to the US, but at least now we are free to do whatever we want.

Another important point is that I cannot apply for a visa for her daughter. She must do that and she can only do it after she is a permanent resident (green card holder). The daughter is the one that most wants to move to America and become an American citizen.

It is basically that the IR-1 visa gives us much better options to select from and assures that we are able to stay together.

ttlee,

You have missed one of the very important points.  Until my wife has her visa and in fact her green card, she is stuck in China.  She cannot visit her brother in America, she cannot meet my elderly parents, who want very much to meet her, she cannot even leave if there should be some emergency that forced me back to America.  Tourist visas are even more of a lottery than are the IR-1 that she has waiting.  In fact, since she has relatives in America, it makes it even harder to obtain a tourist visa as so many people have used them for a way to get to the US and then overstayed.  I passed up a very good job in the US a few months ago because my wife did not have her visa yet.  I have promised her not to leave her alone again if I can prevent it.  This visa means we can stay together no matter what.

She will have to wait in the US until she gets her green card and then she will have to make at least one trip a year back to the US.  That is fine since we want to do that anyway.  At some point, if I get an appealing offer, we may want to move back to the US, but at least now we are free to do whatever we want.

Another important point is that I cannot apply for a visa for her daughter.  She must do that and she can only do it after she is a permanent resident (green card holder).  The daughter is the one that most wants to move to America and become an American citizen.

It is basically that the IR-1 visa gives us much better options to select from and assures that we are able to stay together.

Congrats, Owen and your wife Rose!!! It is really happy to see people get visa. Though I am still waiting ( 8/5 interview), hope this is a good beginning. I have a question to ask u, I will appreciate if anyone can help me. My husband applied CR1 for me in Jan.2001. And so far I have been married over 2 years and still waiting for my visa. Will my CR1 visa be changed to IR1? The GZ embassy will change it by the time I go to pick up my visa? Do I need call them to ask them to change my CR1 to IR1? Or the time when I enter the US custom I should ask the VO in the custom?

ttlee,

You have missed one of the very important points.  Until my wife has her visa and in fact her green card, she is stuck in China.  She cannot visit her brother in America, she cannot meet my elderly parents, who want very much to meet her, she cannot even leave if there should be some emergency that forced me back to America.  Tourist visas are even more of a lottery than are the IR-1 that she has waiting.  In fact, since she has relatives in America, it makes it even harder to obtain a tourist visa as so many people have used them for a way to get to the US and then overstayed.  I passed up a very good job in the US a few months ago because my wife did not have her visa yet.  I have promised her not to leave her alone again if I can prevent it.  This visa means we can stay together no matter what.

She will have to wait in the US until she gets her green card and then she will have to make at least one trip a year back to the US.  That is fine since we want to do that anyway.  At some point, if I get an appealing offer, we may want to move back to the US, but at least now we are free to do whatever we want.

Another important point is that I cannot apply for a visa for her daughter.  She must do that and she can only do it after she is a permanent resident (green card holder).  The daughter is the one that most wants to move to America and become an American citizen.

Owen,

I understand now. Basically, you want the visa to have the freedom to leave China if needed (more options). From your previous posts, I was confused because I had the impressions that you want to move back to USA ASAP. As long your wife is with you (and the daughter too), you will be happy no matter where you are. :P

I have a question to ask u, I will appreciate if anyone can help me.  My husband applied CR1 for me in Jan.2001.  And so far I have been married over 2 years and still waiting for my visa.  Will my CR1 visa be changed to IR1?  The GZ embassy will change it by the time I go to pick up my visa?  Do I need call them to ask them to change my CR1 to IR1?  Or the time when I enter the US custom I should ask the VO in the custom?

Stella, you don't need to do anything as of this moment. Your CR1 is a conditional green card. Just take whatever GZ give you and get one the plane!!! Once you are here and you pass your 2nd Anni of your marriage, you need to file a form -- forget the # to removal the conitional status. go on ins web, they have all forms ready to download. After you have been a legal resident in US for 3 years with your current husband, you are eligible to apply for citizenship. Hope this answers your question

Owen, what took you so long??????

:D    :( :o ;)

Had to wait on the foreign affairs person. He told us he would be in his office in the afternoon, but was not there when my wife went in to get her letter at 2:00. Since it was an EMS, it was locked in his desk drawer. She picked up the other mail, but had to come back at 4:00 to get the EMS. (Some working day, 4:00 - 5:00 ;) ) I then had to wait while she posted the news on the 001 board and sent out e-mails to friends and family. All that after the celebration dance around the house.

;)