Translation of documents

I understand some documents must be translated into chinese. A divorce decree for example...My chinese language teacher teaches at the university. can she do the translations?

178558[/snapback]

Honest bro, maybe you should go to HK and meet her in real life first and make sure she is the ONE, before you go through the hassles. When you go to China, and I have not been to HK, but I have been to other cities, there is in most cities, a place you can have documents translated and notarized. I had a few forms from when I was married translated in my wifes home city. That might be a better route I would think.

Guest pushbrk
I understand some documents must be translated into chinese. A divorce decree for example...My chinese language teacher teaches at the university. can she do the translations?

178558[/snapback]

You are an adult. Make your own decisions. You take them to the notarial office in HK. The translations must be certified correct by the notary. Optionally, you may get them translated by somebody at the Chinese Consulate if they will and there is one nearby.

Guest pushbrk

178558[/snapback]

You are an adult. Make your own decisions. You take them to the notarial office in HK. The translations must be certified correct by the notary. Optionally, you may get them translated by somebody at the Chinese Consulate if they will and there is one nearby.

178574[/snapback]

I'm going to reply to myself again because I was in a hurry before. If you are still planning to arrive in HK 5 or 6 weeks from now you are pretty much out of time to get your certificate of marriageability. As I mentioned before, you have to file all this in HK for (was it 30 days?) BEFORE you can get married. If you haven't already gotten your documents to your SO and had her take them in to obtain notarized translations, AND obtained your certificate of marriageability, you won't be getting married in HK in February.

178558[/snapback]

178574[/snapback]

I'm going to reply to myself again because I was in a hurry before. If you are still planning to arrive in HK 5 or 6 weeks from now you are pretty much out of time to get your certificate of marriageability. As I mentioned before, you have to file all this in HK for (was it 30 days?) BEFORE you can get married. If you haven't already gotten your documents to your SO and had her take them in to obtain notarized translations, AND obtained your certificate of marriageability, you won't be getting married in HK in February.

178582[/snapback]

i think you can have 15 days notice in advance to get married in hk thought about doing that route last june

then another 15 days for someone to file against it

robert

Guest pushbrk

178558[/snapback]

178574[/snapback]

178582[/snapback]

i think you can have 15 days notice in advance to get married in hk thought about doing that route last june

then another 15 days for someone to file against it

robert

178589[/snapback]

Yeah, it's 17 days including Sundays but you have to have all the documents translated in advance of filing.

http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_773.html

178558[/snapback]

178574[/snapback]

178582[/snapback]

I'm not completely certain the afore-mentioned "certificate of marriageability" is the same animal as the "Single Status Statement" I had prepared and brought with me in January.

This was a statement notarized by appropriate authorities (in my case, oddly, the Office of the Attorney General of New York State) that I was single and eligible to marry under Chinese law.

It was also "certified" by the Chinese Embassy in Washington, DC.

I handed it to the marriage official in Chongchun when he asked for it, and he immediately stamped it. We got married.

I used a place called Visarite (Visarite.com) and simply signed the appropriate form I downloaded from their website, forked over about $50, and received the completed form in a week.

If that's what you're asking about, 5-6 weeks in plenty of time (assuming the woman you met is THE ONE). It may be best to take some time on that part . . .

Guest pushbrk

178558[/snapback]

178574[/snapback]

178582[/snapback]

I'm not completely certain the afore-mentioned "certificate of marriageability" is the same animal as the "Single Status Statement" I had prepared and brought with me in January.

This was a statement notarized by appropriate authorities (in my case, oddly, the Office of the Attorney General of New York State) that I was single and eligible to marry under Chinese law.

I handed it to the marriage official in Chongchun when he asked for it, and he immediately stamped it. We got married.

I used a place called Visarite (Visarite.com) and simply signed the appropriate form I downloaded from their website, forked over about $50, and received the completed form in a week.

If that's what you're asking about, 5-6 weeks in plenty of time (assuming the woman you met is THE ONE). It may be best to take some time on that part . . .

178634[/snapback]

There are two ways to get the certificate. I've heard several names for the documents. I got mine from Visa Rite as well and it was accepted in Nanning, only AFTER I got every page that was in English, plus the actual divorce decrees, translated at the Notarial office.

Also the fee of $50 is incorrect. It was more like $200 for the expedited service I needed, plus the outbound shipping fee. Even the slow boat fee is about $100.

Alternatively, the US Consulate in HK can issue a certificate but only when you appear there in person. That too would have had all the same translation requirements.

The translation is the rub for Mat. His documents are here and the translator is in China. I cannot predict with any certainty how quickly the translation can be accomplished. If it CAN be accomplished in time it will cost a lot extra under somebody's table.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)

All I can add to this is that her translations were in large white embossed booklets with 3 or 4 pages in each on very expensive looking paper and they looked very much like legal documents that all had to be done a certain way. I would say that they must be done by someone certified by China to perform the translations and to put them into an official "package".

Good luck with the rest of the process. I went to meet my future wife after only knowing her on line for about 3 months and it's worked out excellently!

O.T. Where in Reno do you live? My house was near the top of Clearacre Lane with a view of the Truckee Meadows.

178558[/snapback]

178574[/snapback]

178582[/snapback]

178634[/snapback]

There are two ways to get the certificate. I've heard several names for the documents. I got mine from Visa Rite as well and it was accepted in Nanning, only AFTER I got every page that was in English, plus the actual divorce decrees, translated at the Notarial office.

Also the fee of $50 is incorrect. It was more like $200 for the expedited service I needed, plus the outbound shipping fee. Even the slow boat fee is about $100.

Alternatively, the US Consulate in HK can issue a certificate but only when you appear there in person. That too would have had all the same translation requirements.

The translation is the rub for Mat. His documents are here and the translator is in China. I cannot predict with any certainty how quickly the translation can be accomplished. If it CAN be accomplished in time it will cost a lot extra under somebody's table.

178639[/snapback]

I suppose the requirements must (or may) vary from place to place. I did not supply a translation of the Single Status Statement, nor was any asked for at the marriage office in Changchun on January 17, 2005. They were entirely satisfied with the document in English certified by the Chinese Embassy in Washington prepared by VisaRite.

Other offices may handle things differently, or things may have changed.

I certainly may have been mistaken about the price. Whatever the current fee is, it's not a fortune.

The only time you need to show your divorce papers is when you submit an Affidavit of Single status with the Chinese Consulate in your area. But the decree needs to be accompanied with an Apostille from your state's Secretary of State's office. That being said....The state you were divorced in needs to be in the area served by the Consulate in your area....in my case, I now live in Texas (Consulate in Houston), but I was divorced in Oregon (outside of the area of their responsibility) The certificate needed to have an Apostille issued by Oregon's Secretary of State and certified by the Consulate in San Francisco. I called the consulate in Houston and they told me that since as far as Texas was concerned I was single, just say I was never married in my Affidavit. I had the Affidavit notarized, and an Apostille for the notary. the Consulate certifed it, and I had no trouble getting married in China.

178558[/snapback]

Did a little more research, According to the marriage reg. Documents must be in english or chinese. As long as they are certified by the court.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/bdmreg_4.htm

Mat

Edited by Matman (see edit history)

178558[/snapback]

Did a little more research, According to the marriage reg. Documents must be in english or chinese. As long as they are certified by the court.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/bdmreg_4.htm

Mat

178984[/snapback]

That is how it is documented for HK... but reads differently if marrying in China:

Getting Married in China:

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/us-citizen/mrginfo.html

All English-language documents must be translated into Chinese. Translation of documents usually takes about a month, but can be completed within 10 days at double the original cost. Translations should be obtained from and certified by one of the Municipal Public Notary offices.

---

If you really want to be well prepared, I'd call the HK consulate to ensure you have everything as you need it...