k1..and the number of times we have been met

So i'm a k1 case,and per nooneufo's Blue slip/Denial post, i started to concern about the number of time that me and my SO have been met.nooneufo has raised some good point..in that,we, as the beneficiaries do have to go over to the States and marry our fiances within 90 days but some of us did have little time spending with them and will have to leave our own families and friends in China when we're about to marry our SOs!

In my particular case,i bumped into my SO online two years ago when i was still a student studying overseas and we only met twice spending a couple of weeks each year after that(2004 and 2005). We both had our work and study commitement and we just spend time together as much as we could,that was the maximum time we made together. My SO also would like to make a company with me to GUZ when the interview date comes along,which would be his third visit to China for me.

So if a VO is still gonna think that we have spent too little time with each other for a 2 year long-distance relationship while he/she is judging me on'giving up' my parents and friends and go living with sb in another country whom has only spend 1-month's time in total with for the past two years ,how am I gonna prove to the VO that we do have a bona-fide relationship and we did everything we could to max up the time spending with each other in real for the past two years?

Can anyone help me out here??

ps..and also i'd love to let our GUZ VOs know that for Chinese k visas, due to the political barrier,one's ability of getting a tourist visa is considerably limited..if i was like the one whose country was offered by the US visa waiver program,i'd love to go over and visit my fiance as many times as i could within my financial budget..so would they better not stress too hard on this 'number of a couple have met' issue.

Edited by susieq (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew
So i'm a k1 case,and per nooneufo's Blue slip/Denial post, i started to concern about the number of time that me and my SO have been met.....

....we just spend time together as much as we could,that was the maximum time we made together.

So if a VO is still gonna think that we have spent too little time with each other for a 2 year long-distance relationship while he/she is judging me on'giving up' my parents and friends.....

we did everything we could to max up the time spending with each other in real for the past two years?

Can anyone help me out here??

It's VERY important that you understand that it is necessary to ONLY have met your partner ONCE, face-to-face in the two years before you file your petition. The VO however will scrutinize your case by trying to make a determination as to whether or NOT your relationship is real, and bona fide. With that being said remember that you must establish two things, with a preponderence of the evidence.

1. That you have met face-to-face within two years of filing your petition.

2. That your relationship is real on bona fide.

Item one (1) is MUCH easier to establish than item two (2), in that one can use boarding passes, photos, hotel receipts, etc. Item two (2) however is more subjective and must be approached in that manner. From the VERY first moment that you consider filing a petition you should begin gathering your evidence.

If you lack a common language, then you must be aware that you will need to show how the two of you communicate. Save your emails. Save your telephone logs. If there is more than one telephone number be sure to use it whenever you can. Talk frequently on the telephone. Write frequently. Save this information. If you do NOT have a common language, it would be a VERY good idea to take a video of the two of you together depicting your interraction one with another. Use your time wisely when you are together.

Remember, the burden of proof is upon the two of you. There are a large number of attempts to defraud the US government with sham marriages and visa petitions. The VO must weed through these attempts. There is usually a common thread behind those attempting to defraud, in that there are few visits, little if any communication, and perhaps only a single visit.

If you are serious about this step, then be serious about the evidence you gather for proof. You will certainly have plenty of time, and the VO knows that. Those that approach these efforts hap-hazardly will likely be disappointed in the end.

You won't be able to do much about changing the number of visits.. you can only do your best to prove that these visits were to you in china for the purpose of a relationship. How well you can establish that is based on various records and receipts as Jesse points out well...

Most likely, only a question(s) [verbal proof] will come up in the interview ; sometimes a request for documents about the relationship as asked, like communication or emails [written proof]... usually the latter is much more important for overcome in the event of a blue slip... then your building more of a case for the relationship...

The typical question asked is :

How many times has he been here to see you in china?

One chinese lady got a little confused by the question and didn't give an answer expected by the VO, and got a blue slip.

I'm not sure if you made them aware of the relationship events with the petition or not (ie: include a letter describing how the relationship formed). it's hard to say if more or less is better for them to know. If they know more, then can also form an opinion and steer questions to what they want to check...

Don't worry as much as just prepare.. and remember, overcome is just a request for more time to review something.. don't let that loom too much as a bad outcome. The success rate for overcome is extremely high.

The blue slip list is a big lump to swallow in one gulp, but it is helpful to look at some specifics for K1's.

Of the blue slips:

At least four K1's were for essentially minor preparation slips. Easily avoided through preparation and re-checking of all your papers and evidence.

Four were about communications. Judging by your written English skills this is probably not going to be a problem.

Three others were about their financials. Although it sounds like you are both students, I assume you both either have the finances to meet the requirements and have prepared your documentation accordingly, or you have a sponser or two and these documents are also fully prepared in addition to yours.

I assume you are not a member of the communist party and that neither of you have a previous divorce so those blue slips are out as well.

I am also willing to bet that the consulate must see a lot of student K1's, and so they have their check list of what they look for in that type of relationship.

That leaves us back to your issue of the number of visits, which we only have one K1 on the list with this at issue. And it appears that this was simply an issue of the evidence preparation. We know that past sucessful interview summations have described some questioning on the issue of visits, but they passed. Because they were prepared with their evidence was probably the biggest reason, and the other reason we cannot measure, was the confidence of the beneficiary in the relationship. This seems to be something we do read in interview summaries about the confidence of the beneficiary, and the confidence the petitioner has in supporting the beneficiary. For example, we often read about the beneficiary who has their petitioner at the interview providing both passports at the initial start of the interview so that the VO is fully aware that the petitioner is right outside, showing support of the relationship. We also know having good English skills are another confidence booster to understand the questions being asked if the interviewer's Chinese skills are not up to par.

Others have talked about the preparation, and there are a number of FAQs to read about this which should help you to make sure you miss nothing in your preparations.

It is really wonderful to hear about this part of the process from the beneficiaries point of view. I am sure I am not alone in saying that we look forward to hearing more from you about it from the Chinese point of view.

From my little understanding through my own experiences, you need to collecting as much evidences of your relationship and commuincation as possible. As long as you two have met once within the past 2 years, you shouldn't have problem. But again, the more the better. The stronger the better. To the bottom line, ask yourself if you are a VO, would you believe your relationship in a common sense?? fix anything that might cost delay on your positive answer.

Edited by rosyanne (see edit history)

Thanks alot folks. I've got the information on my end. I'm thinking of also having family members prepare written statements also. I impressed this on my wife and she will be doing the same thing on her end. I think she really felt that because we are sincere that we would of course get the visas. She really didn't know that the scamming and shamming was so widespread.

She can get information from her ex-husband via 3rd and 4th parties as neither want anything to do with the other. My X and I are very cordial with one another and I believe that she'd do whatever she could to help me out (but there would be a price no doubt).

It was encouraging to hear that spending all of one's vacation time would be looked upon favorable (possibly at least). I can get the company to provide that in writing also.

My March,2006 visit is not because of the interview, it is because for 2006 I do finally qualify for 3 weeks vacation and I can not bear being away from her for any longer. I'll be happy to see an estimated timeline once our data is added and computed.

Again, thanks for the excellent advice and we both will put it to use in our preparation.

EDIT: Oops! Replied at the wrong place :lol:

Edited by Yuanyang (see edit history)
The blue slip list is a big lump to swallow in one gulp, but it is helpful to look at some specifics for K1's.

Of the blue slips:

At least four K1's were for essentially minor preparation slips. Easily avoided through preparation and re-checking of all your papers and evidence.

Four were about communications. Judging by your written English skills this is probably not going to be a problem.

Three others were about their financials. Although it sounds like you are both students, I assume you both either have the finances to meet the requirements and have prepared your documentation accordingly, or you have a sponser or two and these documents are also fully prepared in addition to yours.

I assume you are not a member of the communist party and that neither of you have a previous divorce so those blue slips are out as well.

I am also willing to bet that the consulate must see a lot of student K1's, and so they have their check list of what they look for in that type of relationship.

That leaves us back to your issue of the number of visits, which we only have one K1 on the list with this at issue. And it appears that this was simply an issue of the evidence preparation. We know that past sucessful interview summations have described some questioning on the issue of visits, but they passed. Because they were prepared with their evidence was probably the biggest reason, and the other reason we cannot measure, was the confidence of the beneficiary in the relationship. This seems to be something we do read in interview summaries about the confidence of the beneficiary, and the confidence the petitioner has in supporting the beneficiary. For example, we often read about the beneficiary who has their petitioner at the interview providing both passports at the initial start of the interview so that the VO is fully aware that the petitioner is right outside, showing support of the relationship. We also know having good English skills are another confidence booster to understand the questions being asked if the interviewer's Chinese skills are not up to par.

Others have talked about the preparation, and there are a number of FAQs to read about this which should help you to make sure you miss nothing in your preparations.

It is really wonderful to hear about this part of the process from the beneficiaries point of view. I am sure I am not alone in saying that we look forward to hearing more from you about it from the Chinese point of view.

178205[/snapback]

our k1 case have both advantages and disadvantages..

Advantages:

1.We are both at legal ages to marry each other and both of us are in our twenties.

2. We dont have a huge age gap and neither of us has previous marriage.

3. We communicate in English well..thanks to his patience and our true love!

4 I am not a member of any party.

5.My SO has a stable job for years and he doesnt have financial problem.

Disadvantages:

1.Speaking of how we got to know each other,I met my SO online rather than in real.

2.He has only visited me twice in China (once each year since our relationship were well estabilished)

3.We do have heaps of evidence(photos,emails,msn webcame snapshots,gifts,his plane tickets etc.),but the only thing that we dont have is the phone record.(We both buys the cards at the grocery stores which don't allow us to print out any phone log)

4.I once applied for a tourist visa when i was a university tudent in New Zealand trying to visit him in the begining of last year even before we met in person certainly i was denial a visa....in a foreign country;*(

5.We didn't hand in much evidence stuff at our petition stage,i remembered that we only handed in a couple of photos of us, our personal statements,and my SO's visa copy of years he came to visit.

I'd very like you guys to take a look at my stuation again,and keep giving comments to me and help make me get rid of some unneccessary worries..

And many thanks to your guys such detailed replies!!!

Susieq

Edited by susieq (see edit history)

I have a question concerning K1's. One of the responses in this thread stated

"I assume you are not a member of the communist party and that neither of you have a previous divorce so those blue slips are out as well."

How critical is divorce issue from either side? Both of us are divorced. It is not that my EX hates me so much as she wishes for my death or that I simply fall off the face of the earth. If the K1 hinges on her responding to anything from the Department of State.. then I am screwed. <_< As far as my SO, she is also divorced, I am not sure what her relationship with her EX is.

Can someone elaborate on this subject.

Thanks in advance

Guest ShaQuaNew
our k1 case have both advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages:

1.We are both at legal ages to marry each other and both of us are in our twenties.

It's vital that you are of legal marrying age for the US state that you will marry. I don't believe there is any US state that requires either party to be older than 18. It's nice that you are both young, but will have no impact upon whether or not you get a visa :-)

2. We dont have a huge age gap and neither of us has previous marriage.

A difference in age will likely not be a problem. Now if one of the two of you is in their late 90s and the other is Anna Nicoles age it might make the VO raise an eyebrow

3. We communicate in English well..thanks to his patience and our true love!

Speaking the same language, especially English is very helpful. Now the fact that you truly love one another will also be noticed by others

4 I am not a member of any party.

Cool! Trigg doesn't get invited to parties either :D

5.My SO has a stable job for years and he doesnt have financial problem.

Very good! It's absolutely necessary that your SO makes at least 125% above the poverty level for a given family size. If not, he will need a sponsor.

Disadvantages:

1.Speaking of how we got to know each other,I met my SO online rather

than in real.

It does NOT matter how you met whatsoever unless you did it in some illegal manner, like a marriage sham company, or other unscupulous place. Meeting on skull island with King Kong following you might be a problem

2.He has only visited me twice in China (once each year since our relationship were well estabilished)

Doesn't matter unless you fail to keep good records of your communications together while you are apart.

3.We do have heaps of evidence(photos,emails,msn webcame snapshots,gifts,his plane tickets etc.),but the only thing that we dont have is the phone record.(We both buys the cards at the grocery stores which don't allow us to print out any phone log)

You must endeavor to have EVERY communication with each other documented. This means telephone calls, email, and letters. Sign up for an online calling company like Onesuite or Dynasky. These, or another similar will enable you to keep a call log.

4.I once applied for a tourist visa when i was a university tudent in New Zealand trying to visit him in the begining of last year even before we met in person certainly i was denial a visa....in a foreign country;*(

This might be a problem, but certainly not something that can't be overcome. What was the reason for the denial?

5.We didn't hand in much evidence stuff at our petition stage,i remembered that we only handed in a couple of photos of us, our personal statements,and my SO's visa copy of years he came to visit.

If a relationship is bona fide, and both are serious about what they are doing, it's VERY HIGHLY unlikely that they would present this little bit of information. I think it likely that the VO would be VERY suspicious if that's all you provided

I'd very like you guys to take a look at my stuation again,and keep giving comments to me and help make me get rid of some unneccessary worries..

And many thanks to your guys such detailed replies!!!Susieq

:P <_<

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

suseig,

I know that when my wife Yin was down at GUZ for her interview, this was a worry spoke of many times between the Chinese spouses that were either doing K1 or K3 visas. Many of them had one one visit between themselves and their respective SO's. IMHO I believe that this is the point where I would begin to worry also. I know that her roomate at the hotel had one one visit and there was a communication difficulty. I know that if I was a VO, I would have that person placed under an unwanted high-powered microscope and examined very carefully for any evidence of fraud. I know that I already had 6 vists on my own to China before Yin, and 5 vists to viosit Yin later on! Going to China was about the least of my problems. In regard to ypouir case of two visits; I wouldn't worry all that much.

It seems that you already have your "ducts in a row" concerning supporting evidence. A lot of good tips have already been posted above. One thing that I would add is that if you are are a student, I would suggest some additional generic letters from your realtives, teachers, professors, clergy. etc. This will show anyone who reads them, that your network of friends and hers are both fully aware of the intercultural nature of your marriage. I would not get carried away, though! I asked for and received about 14 letters prepared and given to me. Then I simply chose the 5 "strongest" letters and sent them to wife, so that she had them at the interview.

I do not know if they did any good. VO glanced at them and returned them to her. However, I did not want an RFE and end up eating Cheeto's because of an oversight on my part. IMHO, they simply showed the VO that this wasn't a "sham" marriage, and my wife would have a supporting "network" when she arrived in the US

Just something what I did. You will know yourself, if this is a possiblity or not.

OMG..guys!! i can't be too excited atm!!

Just wanted you know that i just got the interview date from dos !! Mine has been scheduled on 24th,Feb 2006!!!!!

Anyone who's timeline is smiliar to mine, heads up!!!!!!!!!

And Cerberus, P4 arrival before the Chinese New Year,you do have your way;-)

:toot::redblob::clapping:CONGRATULATIONS! :o:clapping::toot:

You're moving right along. You filed in August, and I filed in June.....

:-)

178379[/snapback]

Thank you ShaQuaNew. You've made a great reply post for me!

I just graduated in June this year and didnt even attend my graduation ceremony just wanted to fly back home and meet my most beloved the next day after i got back home!!!

Well we started to draft our petition 3 months after i graduated and he finished his second visit to China.Regarding to the denial, the VO told me that i can't apply for a tourist visa in a foreign country and i should go back home and apply for it there simply because applying for the tourist visa in a foreign does not show strong tie to my home country...and lots of people told me afterwards saying that holding a Chinese passport just wouldnt work anyway..blar blar blar..

I'd love to make a call log but it seems to me a bit late to do that..they wouldnt reject me because of lacking that only one type of relationship evidence right? ( i keep all my used phone cards though!!!)

good stuff you guys,your posts and the DOS call did make me feeling much better!!

susieq

:toot::redblob::clapping:CONGRATULATIONS! :o:clapping::toot:

You're moving right along. You filed in August, and I filed in June.....

:-)

178379[/snapback]

i have no idea why i'm moving so fast...i went through several posts on 001 and it came to me that there are three things that might be holding up one's case against moving forward..

1.Too many petitions need processing in one's USCIS centre.

2.DHL holding-up

3.Namechecks

and ever since i knew CFL, i learnt to keep calling NVC and DOS from time to time as to make sure that my case is not being 'abused' with any of the aboved troubles..

Good luck with your case and hope you can hear from your next progress very soon!

OMG..guys!! i can't be too excited atm!!

Just wanted you know that i just got the interview date from dos !! Mine has been scheduled on 24th,Feb 2006!!!!!

Anyone who's timeline is smiliar to mine, heads up!!!!!!!!!

And Cerberus, P4 arrival before the Chinese New Year,you do have your way;-)

178378[/snapback]

I stand humbled.

Congraulations, to both of you

I just figured out you time-line. I had 5 months, 6 days. You're

time-line to date of interview is going to be 5 months and 25 days. Plus approximately 2 days to get visa at the Post Office!

I hoped that you could take the record from me! I think that Lou is still in the running.

Crap!

Anyway, congraulations. IMHO, the paperwork isn't the problem. The problem starts when you have individual interaction when doing the interview! I suggest to start reading all recent postings about the upcoming interview. You have a short time to ge there and as Laryy the Cable Guy is heard to quote, "Get'ter done!"