Cutlery

I am wondering if you can find some good old black carbon steel knives for the kitchen in stead of most of the junky S.S. ones we have here in the U.S. I did buy a few S.S. paring knives when I was there but down to one, guess some one liked them or threw out :D as most good chefs use the black carbon steel ones as they hold a better edge and stay sharper longer or maybe I can get some made over there?

I am wondering if you can find some good old black carbon steel knives for the kitchen in stead of most of the junky S.S. ones we have here in the U.S. I did buy a few S.S. paring knives when I was there but down to one, guess some one liked them or threw out :D as most good chefs use the black carbon steel ones as they hold a better edge and stay sharper longer or maybe I can get some made over there?

177869[/snapback]

Hi Kaige;

Just returned from Nanning yesterday. I was in a cutlerly store in Nanning and found it to be a chefs delight. It was near there Wal Mart. Do not know if this was your question. But, if you are near Nanning I will be happy to ask the SO for the store name....if she remembers :lol:

I am wondering if you can find some good old black carbon steel knives for the kitchen in stead of most of the junky S.S. ones we have here in the U.S.

177869[/snapback]

"It slices, It dices. Cuts through onions so fast you won't have time to cry!"... :lol:

Sorry Kaige, I couldn't resist! Remember the awesome Ginsu knives? It wasn't the knives that were so awesome (although they were tough) but it was the success of the commercial campaign that ran in the late 70's and early 80's that was awesome!

Despite the Japanese-sounding name, Ginsu Knives were actually manufactured in Freemont, Ohio by the Quikut Division of cutlery manufacturer Scott and Fetzer.

-I hope you find your knives

I thought it was Ron Popiel, it slices dices etc :lol: look at how it cuts through this concrete block, would you try it with a normal knife :o yours now for only 19.95 and we will throw in this set of chinese star knives, great for sliceing water melons, but wait there is more, we even throw in this chipper shreder for cabbage, call today to order yours :lol: :lol:

I thought it was Ron Popiel, it slices dices etc :lol:  look at how it cuts through this concrete block, would you try it with a normal knife :o  yours now for only 19.95 and we will throw in this set of chinese star knives, great for sliceing water melons, but wait there is more, we even throw in this chipper shreder for cabbage, call today to order yours :lol:  :lol:

177877[/snapback]

If I call within the next 30 minutes and promise to tell someone else about the product will I get another "fantastic" BONUS GIFT???

Maybe one less payment??

Larry :o :P ;) :wub:

I am wondering if you can find some good old black carbon steel knives for the kitchen in stead of most of the junky S.S. ones we have here in the U.S. I did buy a few S.S. paring knives when I was there but down to one, guess some one liked them or threw out :santa: as most good chefs use the black carbon steel ones as they hold a better edge and stay sharper longer or maybe I can get some made over there?

177869[/snapback]

Myself, I use Henkel cutlery. Sharp as Hell, keep a high keen edge. By the way if you are a wine sipper while preparing food and are prone to rush, or look lovingly at your wife while cutting with them; They are an excellent tool to remove that nasty unwanted fingertip.

For personal carry and use, I always have and still carry a custommade Randall knife. The knife's qualtites are hard to be excelled. The demand is so high and production so slow due to it's qulatities, I had mine made is about 9 months. Not unlike a K1 Visa! However, like the fiancess's visa, I had the best quality unmatched anywhere.

Old memories. My hometown in MA was Southbridge. Home of both Hyde Mfg. and Russell-Harrington (linked to a seller of knives above). Grandfather retired from RH as a custom order master knife maker. Hyde used to make a LOT of kitchen ware- think they're more into utility stuff now (razor blades, putty knives etc.)

Now Hyde tool Co.

Martin Yan's knives/ Dexter Russell Harrington

178100[/snapback]

You must be really proud of your grandfather, Richard. I have the utmost respect for the old knifesmiths of yesteryear. I knew a couple of real pros at it but they have since passed on. I have one old knife made by one of them but I'm not positive but I am 99% sure.

Ownership of this knife was somewhat forced on me. I first saw the knife about six years ago. The old fellows said to me to be real careful with that blade. I didn't listen to them. I lightly ran my finger across the edge and to say the least, it cut me proper!

It's an old knife. I know this buy the wear on the the blade by the years of sharpening. It's a wicked old blade and it's kind of scary! I don't use it.

Yep, carbon steel blades are definitely the real thing!

I wish I knew about CFL when I was writing my thesis! I actually had to research all that arcane information myself.

My wife and I were in Chengdu during September/October and we stayed at a nice hotel not far from the main train station. It was located in what was called a "commercial district." The place was repleat with everything under the sun: ceramics; kitchen ware, uniforms (make great gifts for 17 year old daughters!) and knives, knives, knives.

A giant, seemed like 20-lb. carbon steel cleaver was about 15 RMB. They had everything.

Those kind of knives should be available everywhere in commercial districts throughout China. The prices are rock bottom.

I wish I knew about CFL when I was writing my thesis!  I actually had to research all that arcane information myself.

My wife and I were in Chengdu during September/October and we stayed at a nice hotel not far from the main train station.  It was located in what was called a "commercial district."  The place was repleat with everything under the sun:  ceramics; kitchen ware, uniforms (make great gifts for 17 year old daughters!) and knives, knives, knives.

A giant, seemed like 20-lb. carbon steel cleaver was about 15 RMB.  They had everything. 

Those kind of knives should be available everywhere in commercial districts throughout China.  The prices are rock bottom.

178648[/snapback]

I thought about bringing home a heavy cleaver once but wondered

how the airport security would handle it.