SO's First XMAS

Being this is my wife's first Xmas and not having a

full understanding in the complexities of the Chinese

view of gift exchange, I have opted for a simple approach.

For my wife, I will give her a simple gift. For the rest of the

family we will give gift cards.

I hope this approach will not put any pressure on her and

put her in a situation to where she will feel burdened or have

a need to save face.

Merry Xmas :rolleyes:

My wife said, "no gifts... this year, only save money"....

176521[/snapback]

hehe my wife said the same thing (after I bought her quite a few gifts she didnt know about), then sent me a card, a Christmas ornament and some photos. Small and simple is probably the safest bet.

Her birthday is coming up, and so is spring festival. I already have my instructions on what to do for each - lol

Edited by mercator (see edit history)
I just came back from Macy's and bought my wife a fancy sweater.  I will surprise her on Xmas Day.  If she doesn't like it, I can always return it. Also, I bought some chocolates and cookies for her aunt, uncle, and other members of her family.

176593[/snapback]

You're a good man, man.

My thoughts on this is that once they are here, it is far better to experience Christmas or any other holiday as you normally would celebrate. If I were in China, I'd expect to be part of any Chinese celebration or festival and not be catered to because I am an American. I feel the same aproach should be taken here. Jen has her influence on the day, don't get me wrong, but the principal parts stay the same. Including the gift giving. I've made sure Jen understands that any obsevance of Chinese holidays she wants, I am happy to be part of and all she needs to do is take the lead so I can learn. In turn, I take the lead in the western ones. B)

Also, it is very important to understand the good manners in recieving a gift graciously. Sometimes it is better just to smile and say "thank you" :)

My wife said, "no gifts... this year, only save money"....

176521[/snapback]

Believe be...without consider his feeling towards holidays...I would said the same thing too... :lol:

178278[/snapback]

Now she wants to shop for the after Xmas sales.

178282[/snapback]

We did walk around the mall on the 26th... came away with the same feeling that we had prior to the holiday: we can still get it cheaper in china ! :lol: